The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: arlucasinc on February 03, 2005, 01:45:51 pm

Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: arlucasinc on February 03, 2005, 01:45:51 pm
I must admit to being slightly confused by this one.

What's up with the royal garb? Is Onstad still high? What is Ultra Peanut going to say about this?

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Steve Hogan on February 03, 2005, 01:49:26 pm
Fee-reep is going all Edgar Allen Poe on that toy's ass.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Beatrice on February 03, 2005, 01:51:26 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.


oh, but i'm down.  She is bad for FreeReep.  He deserves so much better.  (I wish I were five, and a cartoon.)

Anyone else think the drawing style in the last few frames is a bit sketchy?

Also, I wish I cold read tab, and play guitar.  I'm gonna make my roomate play that when she gets home.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2005, 02:14:26 pm
I will admit to being a little confused by today's strip.  However, as a former guitar player I love "B?" and "G-ish".  Also "Reverently, like a King burying his son" is highly evocative.  I know how that sounds, don't you?
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: slink on February 03, 2005, 02:17:10 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I will admit to being a little confused by today's strip.  However, as a former guitar player I love "B?" and "G-ish".


I did like G-ish.
It did leave me overly confused, but hell, I don't always feel a need to totally understand them.

Or what's going on at all for that matter!
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: pierced lemur on February 03, 2005, 02:56:40 pm
For those curious

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid


(I'm in class, so I haven't listened to it yet)

The last bar is a little dicey, there's five notes in it in 4/4  :)




Edit:

I just listened to it, and it really does sound like something you would play while a king was burying his baby son. I wasn't expecting it to sound like anything.
Title: Re: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 03:10:14 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
I must admit to being slightly confused by this one.

What's up with the royal garb? Is Onstad still high? What is Ultra Peanut going to say about this?

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.


It all makes sense as part of an anthology.

The music is very apropos though. I would pay for an Achewood songbook.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2005, 03:32:37 pm
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
For those curious

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid


(I'm in class, so I haven't listened to it yet)

The last bar is a little dicey, there's five notes in it in 4/4  :)




Edit:

I just listened to it, and it really does sound like something you would play while a king was burying his baby son. I wasn't expecting it to sound like anything.


Nice!

Chris, do you write music too?  Are you a guitar player?  Is there anything you can't do?
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: jough on February 03, 2005, 03:34:31 pm
Yes, when you buy the book it'll be funny.  You really can't laugh until you've spent money.  There's a rule about this.

I did enjoy breaking out my guitar first thing in the morning and playing a soundtrack to a cartoon, though.   It was so delightful that I had to make myself some chocolate milk because I felt like I was five again.

I also was going to make an mp3 of the music as I interpreted it (that's the problem with tab - no time measure in the notes) but that midi is lovely (although I think the tempo is too fast and not "king burying his son" enough).

Anyway, I think the last panels are what Teodore is thinking his music sounds like, and not what Philippe is actually doing in reality, but the two match up themeatically.

This is one of the best strips in a long time, people.

DON'T BE INGRATES
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: wombat on February 03, 2005, 03:46:53 pm
Quote from: "jough"

DON'T BE INGRATES


I think my brain is about to explode.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 03:55:54 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"

DON'T BE INGRATES


I think my brain is about to explode.


Yes, seriously. What parallel universe have we entered that I'm snarky and Jough is telling us not to be ingrates?

DO YOU HAVE A GOATEE AND A DUELING SCAR JOUGH
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 03, 2005, 04:53:12 pm
Gad I wish MORE comic strippers were [ex-?] graphic designers. This layout is SO well done. Many Kudos, Mr. Onstad.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 05:10:40 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Gad I wish MORE comic strippers were [ex-?] graphic designers. This layout is SO well done. Many Kudos, Mr. Onstad.


The many-small-panels format allows for room for things like the musical notation: a leitmotif that spans multiple panels yet still allows sequential storytelling to happen.

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: slink on February 03, 2005, 05:41:21 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 03, 2005, 06:17:35 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2005, 06:27:50 pm
I admire the graphic design while not being all that impressed with the joke. Ah, well. Life goes on, and I can always appreciate the strip as a graphic artifact.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: jough on February 03, 2005, 06:32:34 pm
<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2005, 06:36:34 pm
Man, Jough, don't go player-hatin' on account of Bobby. I'm sure Onstad will show up and call him an amusing geometry-based diminutive soon.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2005, 06:47:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.


I never said I didn't like it.  I said it confused me.  For many years I paid large sums of money to purchase chemical and botanical substances to acheive a similar state of confusion.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 06:57:21 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.


Yes, but Scott McCloud is also a delerious loony.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 06:58:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.


But you're The Jough. You complain. We mock your complaining. IT IS THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Skillator on February 03, 2005, 07:07:10 pm
Creativity is like a rubber ball. No matter how bouncy it is there are some surfaces on which it will fall flat.

Today, I am one of those surfaces.
But toothpastefordinner today is awesome. So you win some and lose some.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Chris Onstad on February 03, 2005, 08:00:01 pm
Thank you for making that midi of the tablature. After listening I edited the strip to fix errors in the notation. It should play in 4/4 and not be "ragged" in the last measure, as it is well documented that medieval kings had no way of imagining ragtime music, depressed or not, and besides, ragtime is no music to play at such a somber event.  

I think the reason some of you feel that today's "joke" didn't hit with you is because I didn't write a "joke." It's some sassy Click Talk, some guitar music, and a weird pre-transition. We went through like a month of jokeless strips when Philippe got kidnapped, people, and we all grew a little.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 08:05:19 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Thank you for making that midi of the tablature. After listening I edited the strip to fix errors in the notation. It should play in 4/4 and not be "ragged" in the last measure, as it is well documented that medieval kings had no way of imagining ragtime music, depressed or not, and besides, ragtime is no music to play at such a somber event.  

I think the reason some of you feel that today's "joke" didn't hit with you is because I didn't write a "joke." It's some sassy Click Talk, some guitar music, and a weird pre-transition. We went through like a month of jokeless strips when Philippe got kidnapped, people, and we all grew a little.


Achewood songbook. When are we gonna see it? How much will it cost? I AM BEING A CONSUMER HERE.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: wombat on February 03, 2005, 08:17:07 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
But you're The Jough. You complain. We mock your complaining. IT IS THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS.


You're right.  Everything's fine.  I'm sure I can get these all little pieces of brain back inside my skull if I keep trying.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: arkabee on February 03, 2005, 08:17:48 pm
i thought those were the lyrics to the song.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2005, 08:18:59 pm
Allow me to clarify: I didn't enjoy the strip as anything other than a graphic-design artifact. It wasn't just not funny, it was kind of nonsensical and definitely not of the caliber of other serious or more-serious strips. Jesus, man, we're not all troglodytes.

WHAT'S THE JOKE I DON'T GET IT WHY ARE THE DOGS TALKING

That said, I will probably like tomorrow's. That's the joy of a daily strip; there's always new content to distract you, and with a strip of Achewood's quality, it'll probably be good.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: St_Zartan on February 03, 2005, 08:22:27 pm
I still want to know how this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002) goes.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2005, 08:28:45 pm
Well, I'm a fan, but I'm also drinking at 3 pm.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 03, 2005, 08:35:07 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Well, I'm a fan, but I'm also drinking at 3 pm.


do you think it is rad to have alcoholism bozack
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: ndpatel on February 03, 2005, 08:59:28 pm
why does teodor have a capo on his guitar if he's playing that tab?

also: rickenbackers are awesome. i bet teodor likes the jam.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 03, 2005, 10:16:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.


Yes, but Scott McCloud is also a delerious loony.


delirous loony or not, the man knows comics inside and out and is very eloquent in his explanations of his ideas.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Franz. on February 03, 2005, 11:32:51 pm
Quote from: "pierced lemur"

The last bar is a little dicey, there's five notes in it in 4/4  :)


Heh, Onstad fixed it.

Also, hurray for Achewoodians in Vacationland, where life is the way it should be.

That is all.

[ Franz. ]
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 12:21:57 am
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.


Yes, but Scott McCloud is also a delerious loony.


delirous loony or not, the man knows comics inside and out and is very eloquent in his explanations of his ideas.



Penny Arcade said it best with: I Can't Stop Talking!!! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-06-22&res=h)
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 04, 2005, 12:33:49 am
Penny Arcade said it best with: I Can't Stop Talking!!! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-06-22&res=h)[/quote]

heh. nice. oh those penny-arcaders.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 04, 2005, 12:38:32 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
why does teodor have a capo on his guitar if he's playing that tab?

also: rickenbackers are awesome. i bet teodor likes the jam.


because when you play with a capo, you can still make standard open chords, and so when you tab it you can write "Am", "F", "C", etc and still play it up around the, say 6th or 7th fret and still write the tabs out as if you were playing with no capo at all.

(I know! techically it's a different key, but the chord STRUCTURES are the same.)
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: mkilly on February 04, 2005, 03:56:34 pm
Quote from: "ndpatel"
why does teodor have a capo on his guitar if he's playing that tab?

also: rickenbackers are awesome. i bet teodor likes the jam.


because he can't sing it in the original key. DUH.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: pierced lemur on February 04, 2005, 08:37:07 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I still want to know how this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002) goes.


http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/yourfault.mid

Also, I fixed the error in the other one. You may now bury your princes ragtime free.

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid




SCREW YOU JAMES R. EUROPE
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: jough on February 04, 2005, 08:42:10 pm
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I still want to know how this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002) goes.


http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/yourfault.mid


Man, that doesn't sound like it says "Your fault" at ALL!
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: St_Zartan on February 05, 2005, 02:30:01 am
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I still want to know how this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002) goes.


http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/yourfault.mid


Awesome. Thank you. I really had always wondered about that, not having any musical inclination.

Quote from: "pierced lemur"
Also, I fixed the error in the other one. You may now bury your princes ragtime free.

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid


Click Ro bot has lost at the SNES role-playing game of Being Click Rob ot.
Title: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
Post by: miles on February 06, 2005, 05:10:03 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Well, I'm a fan, but I'm also drinking at 3 pm.


Note to Bozack:

Do not go down this road (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=17257#17257).  It is a lonely and a frightening road, and it does not lead to happy places.