The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on February 04, 2005, 10:12:24 am

Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: cellardoor on February 04, 2005, 10:12:24 am
The last panel is heart-breaking and hilarious all at the same time.
I don't like Ultra Peanut anymore.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: starlight on February 04, 2005, 10:24:36 am
She does seem to mock Philippe's shame / pain often :\
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: cellardoor on February 04, 2005, 11:31:54 am
And she seems so nice as well.
I guess she's not the otter for Phillipe, he's too sensitive to be with someone who would willingly mock his naivete.
Poor Phillipe.
Also, has Todd passed out?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Noah on February 04, 2005, 11:52:18 am
the one thing that would make this strip perfect is if the tenmen were wearing pork pie hats
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2005, 12:18:56 pm
I don't know -- it's not quite working for me. Philippe's shame (and the disapproval of Mr. Bear) is all a little too twee and surreal for me to feel really bad about it but is still too sad and mean to laugh at.

That said, how long have the Tenmen been in the bathtub? That's a classy detail.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 01:11:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't know -- it's not quite working for me. Philippe's shame (and the disapproval of Mr. Bear) is all a little too twee and surreal for me to feel really bad about it but is still too sad and mean to laugh at.

That said, how long have the Tenmen been in the bathtub? That's a classy detail.


It's not supposed to work for you. It's art. I actually mean that literally, not sarcastically. Onstad isn't here to please you. He's here for the meconium.

I played Where's Waldo and wondered:

* Why is Todd on all fours?
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?
* Where are the Tenmen plugged in?

Did Phillipe get high? Is this --- HIS --- drug experience?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: andalucia on February 04, 2005, 01:59:36 pm
Man, that animation would redeem this no matter what, but I don't even think it especially needs redemption.

Also, Tenmen in the bathtub makes me think of Rock 'n' Roll High School, which is always a plus.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Gimpson on February 04, 2005, 02:05:16 pm
I love this.  

Now, is Philippe running home crying in shame, or because he is actually afraid of a piano falling on him?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Limmo on February 04, 2005, 02:13:51 pm
Todd looks to me like he is vomiting.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2005, 02:16:28 pm
I hope only his fur is burned so he'll be back to normal soon. That would be hell to include in every future drawing of Philippe
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 02:21:37 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I hope only his fur is burned so he'll be back to normal soon. That would be hell to include in every future drawing of Philippe


When we realize it is all a drug-induced hallucination that ends with a panel consisting of a twee "DON'T DO DRUGS KIDS" we will realize that we would very much like to have this story arc invalidated by more creative means. PERHAPS INVOLVING VICTORIA PRINCIPAL AND A SHOWER.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Emergent_C on February 04, 2005, 02:23:17 pm
Here comes a special boy
All crying and ashamed
But you know what?
SCREW YOU, MAN
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: arkabee on February 04, 2005, 02:38:08 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I played Where's Waldo and wondered:

* Why is Todd on all fours?
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?
* Where are the Tenmen plugged in?

Did Phillipe get high? Is this --- HIS --- drug experience?


as limmo said, i concur, as i would believe that Todd T. Squirrel hath created a pool of vomit.

I would not take that to be Ralp Maccio, but to be representative of the works of that artist that was rather popular amongst coke ravaged yuppies of the 80's, all with ugly 80's overmakeupped representations of supposed supermodels with bad hair and leg warmers in poor color pallettes.  "she's, so popular!" (yes, i know it's not the real lyircs, but they're the lyrics i hear, and as i think on the 80s, and that horrid artwork, they're the lyrics i hear in the song in my head).

plugged in?  they're _acoustic_, Maybe! (rhymes with baby).

Is Phillipe high,

or,

ARE YOU HIGH?!

welcome to your drug experience,
Bobby Isosceles.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 04, 2005, 02:42:40 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Now, is Philippe running home crying in shame, or because he is actually afraid of a piano falling on him?


That was my thought--poor bastard took Ultra Peanut literally.

My aunt used to have those big ugly paintings hanging in her living room.

Look at Lyle getting down.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 02:50:40 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I played Where's Waldo and wondered:

* Why is Todd on all fours?
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?
* Where are the Tenmen plugged in?

Did Phillipe get high? Is this --- HIS --- drug experience?


as limmo said, i concur, as i would believe that Todd T. Squirrel hath created a pool of vomit.

I would not take that to be Ralp Maccio, but to be representative of the works of that artist that was rather popular amongst coke ravaged yuppies of the 80's, all with ugly 80's overmakeupped representations of supposed supermodels with bad hair and leg warmers in poor color pallettes.  "she's, so popular!" (yes, i know it's not the real lyircs, but they're the lyrics i hear, and as i think on the 80s, and that horrid artwork, they're the lyrics i hear in the song in my head).

plugged in?  they're _acoustic_, Maybe! (rhymes with baby).

Is Phillipe high,

or,

ARE YOU HIGH?!

welcome to your drug experience,
Bobby Isosceles.


I see no pool of vomit. That is CLEARLY Rallph Macchio. It is the Ralph Macchio gestalt damnit. And what the hell kind of acoustic guitar would have knobs. Knobs for what? IT'S ELECTRIC. ELECTRIC LIKE THE KARATE KID.

YOU ARE HIGH TOOTH MAN. YOU ARE A BI-CURIOUS CUSPID.

I JUST BLEW YOUR fuck*ng TOOTHMIND.

(the appropriate response is "You want the tooth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!")
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2005, 03:04:26 pm
Today's strip totally validates yesterday's.  Also, did Chris make the animated Click ***** GIF himself or was that donated?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: hungoverdrawn on February 04, 2005, 03:15:01 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?


It's a Patrick Nagel, or an Onstad does Nagel. Think "Rio" by Duran Duran. A key signifier of the '80s. Pat Bateman probably has one on his wall.

Oh, hi. Long time reader first time poster, love the show.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Gimpson on February 04, 2005, 03:22:07 pm
Quote from: "hungoverdrawn"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?


It's a Patrick Nagel, or an Onstad does Nagel. Think "Rio" by Duran Duran. A key signifier of the '80s. Pat Bateman probably has one on his wall.

Oh, hi. Long time reader first time poster, love the show.


DAMN!  I meant to mention the Nagel, but I forgot and was beaten to the punch by a de-lurker.  

Welcome!
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: MSC on February 04, 2005, 03:27:24 pm
Quote from: "hungoverdrawn"
It's a Patrick Nagel, or an Onstad does Nagel. Think "Rio" by Duran Duran. A key signifier of the '80s.


Yes, that is exactly  right (http://www.ultra-pop.org/images/cover2/dd-rio.jpg).  

This is a very clever detail by Mr. Onstad.  I can picture Ray sitting on the can, admiring how hot the chick on the wall is, and admiring the fact that he has such a hot picture on his bathroom wall.  And then replacing it the following day with a LeRoy Neiman, or a pachinko machine.

Ray has a really big bathroom.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 03:29:41 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "hungoverdrawn"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
* Why is there a giant picture of what appears to be Ralph Macchio in Ray's bathroom?


It's a Patrick Nagel, or an Onstad does Nagel. Think "Rio" by Duran Duran. A key signifier of the '80s. Pat Bateman probably has one on his wall.

Oh, hi. Long time reader first time poster, love the show.


DAMN!  I meant to mention the Nagel, but I forgot and was beaten to the punch by a de-lurker.  

Welcome!


I think this is time for the first great Schism among Acheheads. We shall divide into two factions: those who believe the image is an icon of the great Ralph Macchio (the "Aches") and those who believe it is a parody of a Nagel (the "Pains"). There shall be a holy war! and the lands shall run red with the blood of the nonbelievers! To me, O Faithful! Forth! Forth in the name of the Karate Kid!
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2005, 03:40:52 pm
Uh, I think you're the only one in the Macchio camp Bobby.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 03:45:31 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Uh, I think you're the only one in the Macchio camp Bobby.


It's okay. I am following my heart. 10 million after school specials can't all be wrong. I am being myself.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Steve Hogan on February 04, 2005, 03:58:15 pm
It's a chick.  Scroll down on this page:

http://www.pihl.us/leif/nagel/

Ray would totally be owning Nagel pictures.  (And not realizing it makes his bathroom look like a nail salon.)
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: mkilly on February 04, 2005, 03:58:21 pm
bahaha. mr. bear makes this one awesome. also I wonder if urrta peanut being a douche is just because of cultural differences. maybe that's just how they roll in china.
Title: Re: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: MSC on February 04, 2005, 04:45:55 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
I don't like Ultra Peanut anymore.


Here is the deal with Ultra Peanut.  She has been bad news from day one.

She is the girl who is so cute that you want her to be nice, but she never is.  She's just a bitch.
Title: Re: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 04:50:55 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
I don't like Ultra Peanut anymore.


Here is the deal with Ultra Peanut.  She has been bad news from day one.

She is the girl who is so cute that you want her to be nice, but she never is.  She's just a bitch.


Bitter often?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: MSC on February 04, 2005, 04:58:42 pm
I just speak the truth about Ultra Peanut.

On an unrelated note to that, but related to the strip, the Tenmen have posted their favorite recipe for tacos on the internet:

http://www.indolink.com/Recipe/MainCourse/Vegetarian/recipe8.html
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Steve Hogan on February 04, 2005, 05:02:21 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Speakin' as a dude who had many a first time apartment owning dude friends in the eighties who wanted to dress their digs up as somehow hip:



Deluded fools.  You wanna be hip, you need this guy. (http://www.leroyneiman.com/core.htm)
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 05:11:39 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Speakin' as a dude who had many a first time apartment owning dude friends in the eighties who wanted to dress their digs up as somehow hip:



Deluded fools.  You wanna be hip, you need this guy. (http://www.leroyneiman.com/core.htm)


You want to be hip, you need barely veiled 80's homoeroticism:

(http://www.classicmoviekids.com/images/m/macchio/macchioralph302.jpg)

"Wax-on, wax-off."
"What does that mean?"
"Recipe for perfect reach-around."
"Where IS your right hand...?"
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: pmcd9 on February 04, 2005, 05:16:12 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Speakin' as a dude who had many a first time apartment owning dude friends in the eighties who wanted to dress their digs up as somehow hip:



Deluded fools.  You wanna be hip, you need this guy. (http://www.leroyneiman.com/core.htm)


So true, but his popularity stems from the 50's and 60's moreso than the 80's.

Personally I advocate this guy (http://www.sfae.com/artists/vargas/).

~Paul
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 05:19:10 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Speakin' as a dude who had many a first time apartment owning dude friends in the eighties who wanted to dress their digs up as somehow hip:



Deluded fools.  You wanna be hip, you need this guy. (http://www.leroyneiman.com/core.htm)


So true, but his popularity stems from the 50's and 60's moreso than the 80's.

Personally I advocate this guy (http://www.sfae.com/artists/vargas/).

~Paul


Brandon Bird's (http://www.brandonbird.com/) stuff is fantastic, IMO.

I love the "Bea Arthur wrestling velociraptors" (http://www.brandonbird.com/bea.html) piece.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 04, 2005, 05:27:29 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Speakin' as a dude who had many a first time apartment owning dude friends in the eighties who wanted to dress their digs up as somehow hip:



Deluded fools.  You wanna be hip, you need this guy. (http://www.leroyneiman.com/core.htm)


So true, but his popularity stems from the 50's and 60's moreso than the 80's.

Personally I advocate this guy (http://www.sfae.com/artists/vargas/).

~Paul


This beautiful showgirl of the Ziegfeld stage displays an air of confidence, even while posing in the nude.

Even while posing in the nude, people.

Anyone want to do a math assignment for a fuck*ng idiot?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Steve Hogan on February 04, 2005, 05:41:11 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "pmcd9"

Brandon Bird's (http://www.brandonbird.com/) stuff is fantastic, IMO.


Yeah, but has he ever been on the Playboy™ payroll?
Title: Re: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 04, 2005, 05:44:55 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
I don't like Ultra Peanut anymore.


Here is the deal with Ultra Peanut.  She has been bad news from day one.

She is the girl who is so cute that you want her to be nice, but she never is.  She's just a bitch.


Maybe she's not so bad for Philippe.  I mean, I love the little otter, but the kid's a fuck*ng pussy.  Don't tell me he's only five, because that's in otter years.  He can already get his proper swerve on.  His mother was really overbearing and he needs someone who can toughen him up a bit, or he's never gonna make it, people!  He's going to end up a 25 year old fuck who still hasn't received his bachelor's degree and has nothing to show for his life but a string of dead end jobs and failed relationships with "nice" girls who turned out to be slutty bitches!  Goddamn it!
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 04, 2005, 05:51:00 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Brandon Bird's (http://www.brandonbird.com/) stuff is fantastic, IMO.

I love the "Bea Arthur wrestling velociraptors" (http://www.brandonbird.com/bea.html) piece.


I must own this painting (http://www.brandonbird.com/lno_bj.html).
Title: Re: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 05:51:17 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "MSC"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
I don't like Ultra Peanut anymore.


Here is the deal with Ultra Peanut.  She has been bad news from day one.

She is the girl who is so cute that you want her to be nice, but she never is.  She's just a bitch.


Maybe she's not so bad for Philippe.  I mean, I love the little otter, but the kid's a fuck*ng pussy.  Don't tell me he's only five, because that's in otter years.  He can already get his proper swerve on.  His mother was really overbearing and he needs someone who can toughen him up a bit, or he's never gonna make it, people!  He's going to end up a 25 year old fuck who still hasn't received his bachelor's degree and has nothing to show for his life but a string of dead end jobs and failed relationships with "nice" girls who turned out to be slutty bitches!  Goddamn it!



Jesus CHRIST you are bitter.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2005, 06:09:38 pm
Man, animated Click Aut0mat0n rules all.

A++++ WOULD WATCH AGAIN
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Gimpson on February 04, 2005, 06:17:19 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Brandon Bird's (http://www.brandonbird.com/) stuff is fantastic, IMO.

I love the "Bea Arthur wrestling velociraptors" (http://www.brandonbird.com/bea.html) piece.


I must own this painting (http://www.brandonbird.com/lno_bj.html).


My personal favorite would be John Tesh (http://www.brandonbird.com/tesh.html).
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: arlucasinc on February 04, 2005, 06:33:01 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Ray would totally be owning Nagel pictures.  (And not realizing it makes his bathroom look like a nail salon.)


http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_raysmuckles_archive.html

Scroll down. Way down.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: arkabee on February 04, 2005, 07:21:40 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Ray would totally be owning Nagel pictures.  (And not realizing it makes his bathroom look like a nail salon.)


http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_raysmuckles_archive.html

Scroll down. Way down.


ya bobby, don't ask for whom the tooth tolls,
the tooth tolls for thee.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 04, 2005, 07:57:15 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Ray would totally be owning Nagel pictures.  (And not realizing it makes his bathroom look like a nail salon.)


http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_raysmuckles_archive.html

Scroll down. Way down.


ya bobby, don't ask for whom the tooth tolls,
the tooth tolls for thee.


It could be a Nagel print of Ralph Macchio. DID YOU EVER CONSIDER THAT OH TOOTHSOME ONE.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: jough on February 04, 2005, 08:40:14 pm
Ahem.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/arts/visual_arts/vals/calderon.html
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 04, 2005, 09:12:03 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
Here comes a special boy
All crying and ashamed
But you know what?
SCREW YOU, MAN


2 points for the good post.
1 point for the interesting name.
4 points for the kicking avatar + 1 for the name/avatar tie in.
-1 for your signature which is a bit much.

Your score: 7 kinky!

Congratulations, and welcome.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 04, 2005, 09:38:23 pm
I'm literally about to pee myself, I'm so scared by the fact that I'm about to agree with Bobby's rantings, but THIS REVELATION (http://www.geocities.com/nagelincognito/) puts me firmly in the Aches column.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2005, 09:55:48 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"


Personally I advocate this guy (http://www.sfae.com/artists/vargas/).


Eek.  Speaking as a person with, um, breasts, these are totally creepy paintings.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 04, 2005, 11:05:55 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I'm literally about to pee myself, I'm so scared by the fact that I'm about to agree with Bobby's rantings, but THIS REVELATION (http://www.geocities.com/nagelincognito/) puts me firmly in the Aches column.


Wow!  What a find.  I bet he hopes this doesn't get out to the media.  It could kill his, um, career?
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: St_Zartan on February 05, 2005, 02:26:06 am
Thank you, Chris, for the alt-tag.

Also, Miles seems to have some problems.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2005, 04:23:36 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Ray would totally be owning Nagel pictures.  (And not realizing it makes his bathroom look like a nail salon.)


http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_raysmuckles_archive.html

Scroll down. Way down.


ya bobby, don't ask for whom the tooth tolls,
the tooth tolls for thee.


It could be a Nagel print of Ralph Macchio. DID YOU EVER CONSIDER THAT OH TOOTHSOME ONE.


yes, actually, i did.  i just couldn't think of any funny way of presenting it.  rereading "the tooth tolls for thee", though, shows that an unfunny nagel commissioned work of macchio-ismo trumps poorly worded poetic allusions.  i lose at wit again.
curses.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 05, 2005, 06:12:19 am
My heart grew THREE SIZES that day.

Sadly, unless Patrick Nagel happens to read this board, it is most definitely a forgery -- the question is who? This is the next mission - to deduce by the modify time.

Quote


Trying 66.218.77.68...
Connected to geocities.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /nagelincognito/ HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:19:08 GMT
P3P: policyref="http://p3p.yahoo.com/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="CAO DSP COR CUR ADM DEV T
AI PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi TELo OTPi OUR DELi SAMi OTRi UNRi PUBi IND PHY ONL UNI PUR FIN COM NAV INT DEM CNT STA POL HEA PRE GOV"
X-Host: w14.geo.scd.yahoo.com
X-INKT-URI: http://us.geocities.com/nagelincognito/index.html
X-INKT-SITE: http://us.geocities.com/nagelincognito
Last-Modified: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:31:46 GMT
ETag: "8ada3c-1bd0-4203e9c2"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 7698
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

Connection closed by foreign host.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 05, 2005, 06:55:00 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also, Miles seems to have some problems.


Eh, I made most of that shit up.  Except for the part about being 25 without a degree...and the dead end jobs...and the failed relationships...

oh god...
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 05, 2005, 06:57:25 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also, Miles seems to have some problems.


Eh, I made most of that shit up.  Except for the part about being 25 without a degree...and the dead end jobs...and the failed relationships...

oh god...


Sounds like you need a little bit of Ralph Macchio wisdom.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: miles on February 05, 2005, 07:04:16 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
My heart grew THREE SIZES that day.

Sadly, unless Patrick Nagel happens to read this board, it is most definitely a forgery -- the question is who? This is the next mission - to deduce by the modify time.


Man, this sounds like a fun little mystery to solve.  But I don't know what the hell all that shit you posted below means!

Let's just say that I really identified with this strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07122002).
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: jough on February 05, 2005, 08:31:26 am
Yeah, again, I can't remember what the original alt-text for this strip was, but the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls reference is nice.  Go Z-Man.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2005, 03:27:45 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Also, Miles seems to have some problems.


Eh, I made most of that shit up.  Except for the part about being 25 without a degree...and the dead end jobs...and the failed relationships...

oh god...


i'm going to write a selfhelp book one day, and chapter one is going to be:

"breathe"

chapter two will probably be:

"remembering to keep following the advice of chapter one,
now it is time to drink until you can't feel the pain,
or anything else,
ever again."

fuck you Dr. Phil.
fuck you to hell.

i guess chapter three will be:
"you awake?  good.  no, really.
remember: it's _always_ good to wake.  eventually.  you might need to go back to sleep right away, but remember:
breathe.
you can't breathe if you never wake up.

anyways, now, choose a pop self help guru.
place their image in your mind.
got one?
(and yes, it's ok to pick me, so long as you bought this book,
and didn't steal it from the public library or something).

ok, now, direct every negative feeling you have, have had, or will have at that santimonious blowing asshole.

and, um, prolly drink some more."

chapter 4: When to Stop:

"if you have liver failure, or the sanctimonious blowing asshole spontaneously combusts, your journey is complete.
Congratulations!"
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Mr Trout on February 06, 2005, 01:35:10 am
Quote from: "jough"
Ahem.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/arts/visual_arts/vals/calderon.html


Hey, that's the art that Owen Wilson had hanging in his place in "The Royal Tennenbaums". I think I remember from the commentary that the artist is a friend of Wes Anderson's brother. Or maybe not. I can't remember the connection, but the guy who painted those has some connection with Mr. Anderson (no Matrix reference intended).
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: andalucia on February 06, 2005, 01:41:28 am
Yeah.  I remember from the commentary... or maybe one of the extras on the Criterion version.  I'm not sure that there's a connection with the Andersons, but one interesting thing is that what the artist did was pose the photos, and then hired someone to paint a facsimile.

God I am such a Wes Anderson nerd.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: slink on February 06, 2005, 01:50:12 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

God I am such a Wes Anderson nerd.


I see why, having just watched The Life Aquatic and Rushmore.

(Life Aquatic is now on my top twenty films.)
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: smirnov on February 06, 2005, 03:25:41 am
Some ridiculous article (http://www.viceland.com/issues/v9n5/htdocs/money.php).
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: andalucia on February 06, 2005, 02:24:58 pm
That article is a little bit on the hyperbolic side, but I'd definitely like to see more of this guy and his buddies' stuff.



(watched Tenenbaums again last night...)
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 08, 2005, 08:02:48 pm
It's like they're

READING

OUR

 MINDS! (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/08/ralph.macchio/index.html)

It's more like CNN is advertising movies owned by a parent company and claiming it's news.
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 08, 2005, 08:08:34 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
It's like they're

READING

OUR

 MINDS! (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/08/ralph.macchio/index.html)

It's more like CNN is advertising movies owned by a parent company and claiming it's news.


IT IS A SIGN FROM OUR LORD THAT THE ACHES SHALL TRIUMPH OVER THE PAINS!
Title: Thine grace is great - 04/02/05
Post by: slink on February 08, 2005, 10:15:54 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
That article is a little bit on the hyperbolic side, but I'd definitely like to see more of this guy and his buddies' stuff.



(watched Tenenbaums again last night...)


I thought so. I knew absolutely nothing of the guy, so it was quite interesting.
I also watched Tenenbaums yesterday, though for the first time. I really do like Wes Anderson now. It's even caused me to like the Wilson brothers!