The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Mantonio on February 05, 2005, 05:48:04 am
-
What happens when a couple of polite teenage girls decide to give one of their neighbors a plate of cookies? This (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6914824/?GT1=6190) is what happens.
-
What happens when a couple of polite teenage girls decide to give one of their neighbors a plate of cookies? This (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6914824/?GT1=6190) is what happens.
Once my sisters took over a plate of cookies to the mean old ladies across the street. There were three of them. We gave them cookies to thank them for alerting the fire/police department once when our house alarm went off. They were mean to my sisters.
Really, though. 10:30 PM is a bit late, girls.
-
“The victory wasn’t sweet,” Young said. “I’m not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.”
Learned what lesson? Damn, what a cold bitch!
"I just hope you girls learnt never to try and do anything nice for anyone else, on pain of litigation. How's about?"[/quote]
-
uh,
"Taylor Ostergaard, left, and Lindsey Zellitti on Thursday display cookies the two made for neighbors last summer."
innit that a little long to hold on to some cookies?
-
uh,
"Taylor Ostergaard, left, and Lindsey Zellitti on Thursday display cookies the two made for neighbors last summer."
innit that a little long to hold on to some cookies?
When courts are involved, you hold on to those things. I froze a sammich that my friend was forced to drop at gunpoint after he broke into my house (we usually ate lunch there, but I ate lunch at school that day) because I thought it was damned hilarious. "Drop the sandwich! Put the sandwich down!"
-
courts are involved
forced to drop at gunpoint
broke into my house
damned hilarious
Jorge, there has got to be more to that story, and I think we all pretty much need to hear it at this point.
So screw you, anyone who says this story might be off topic.
-
Seco'dd. Dropping sammiches couldn't be anymore on topic for this forum.
If the word sammich is mentioned I'm usually won over, and in this instance that's not all it has going for it...
-
Oh man...
Pat would be so proud of these "cookie plaintiffs". Look at their long list of legal proceedings! Talk about lowlife, horrible, sniping, pathetic excuses for human beings. It appears that Mr. and Mrs. Young just love their shitty negative energy so much that they have to share it with all their neighbors and those unfortunate enough to come into contact with them. I can just imagine Mrs. Young and her "anxiety attacks" and wearing a neck brace after being stupid enough to strike a vehicle while trying to pass it.
However, I must agree with the Ostergaards and Zellettis when they say that the ultimate lesson to be learned is to prize kindness and compassion regardless of what happens. It is easy to love lovable people; it takes real strength and compassion to love unlovable assholes like Pat Reynolds or Wanita and Herbert Young.
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E2704859,00.html
Durango - Wanita "Renea" Young and her husband, Herbert, are going public with their take on reaction to the infamous cookie case.
"It's horrible. Nobody has heard our side," Herbert Young told The Associated Press on Thursday.
Renea Young, 49, successfully sued two 18-year-old Durango girls for $900 in medical expenses after they pounded on her door and dropped off a plate of homemade cookies about 10:30 p.m. on July 31.
Since The Denver Post first reported the story Feb. 4, hundreds of readers have sent messages of support to high school senior Taylor Ostergaard and college freshman Lindsey Zilletti. The Youngs said that they have been inundated by insulting and threatening messages.
"I don't believe the girls meant for this to happen," Herbert Young said. "But they could have prevented it from happening if they had just shut their mouths when they came out of court."
The original Post story was based almost entirely on court records. The girls had declined to comment immediately following the case.
Renea Young spoke to The Post soon after the hearing, saying that she hoped the girls had learned a lesson. Both she and her husband have declined or failed to respond to repeated Denver Post requests for follow-up interviews.
Dozens of readers wrote The Post that they feared the lesson the girls learned was that it doesn't pay to be kind. Since then, the girls have said that although burned by the court system once, they'll continue to do good deeds. Taylor has even delivered cookies since the court ruling, although at an earlier hour, said her mother, Jill Ostergaard.
The Youngs are no strangers to court proceedings. In addition to the cookie lawsuit, records show the Youngs have sued or been sued at least nine times since 1991. Two more court actions have involved restraining orders. Many of the suits filed by the Youngs were small claims. In 1994, Renea Young was granted a restraining order against one neighbor after they quarrelled over a shared driveway.
Another complaint was spurred by a July 4, 1997, accident in which the Youngs' pickup collided with a slow-moving hay-bale loader turning into a field as they attempted to pass it on a county road. The case was settled out of court by an insurance company. Renea Young reported suffering neck, head and back injuries. The Youngs have been sued by a bank, a credit company, a construction company, clients of his construction business and by one of his workers. The plaintiffs won in most instances.
Last Friday, the Ostergaards requested a temporary restraining order against Herbert Young to stop what they said were his harassing phone calls since the story broke.
You have to admire the cookie-delivering girls, imho.
Feb. 8, 2005
Dear folks:
In regard to the outpouring of sympathy and support for Lindsey and Taylor, we want the express to you a heartfelt thanks and sincere appreciation that you, and so much of America and Canada, have shown them. This alone more than makes up for the stress and worry they have experienced the past six months as well as the big disappointment of the trial ruling.
For any letters or anything else that you wish them to receive we have set up a post office box for them. Proceeds over court costs will be used in part for the girls' college savings and in part donated to charities such as Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, UT, and St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN. Both are top medical facilities for children.
The address:
Taylor Ostergaard
Lindsey Zellitti
P.O. BOX 2528
Durango, CO 81302
If there is a final lesson or message to be learned in all of this, it would be to always show kindness and thoughtfulness to others regardless of the outcome. We would desire that every one would treat the Young family with gentleness and hope that no further stress or pain comes to them.
Be sure and include your address and e-mail as they hope to return a thank you.
We so appreciate the extended gesture of friendship to each of you and truly hope that this finds you health. May your smiles be many and come easily.
If you're ever in Durango, give us a holler. Again, thank you so very much.
Sincerely yours
Richard F. and Jill Ostergaard
Barry and Martha Zellitti
Durango, CO
-
Oh man...
Well, I think that answered the question. Yes, Mr Herbert Young, is Mr Pat Reynolds. Jesus!
I do really admire the families of the two girls, and them themselves, in a small way I admit (it's not like they won a nobel prize or made a groundbreaking film) for standing up to it all despite. Gives you a glint of hope occasionally. Maybe. Kind of.
-
Who the hell spells it "Wanita"?
-
A desperately white person, obviously.
I hate to get things a little off-topic (shyeah, right), but I heard a story from a friend about disturbingly Pat-like behavior; apparently a family friend of his would hunt gophers by shooting a mother, leaving the corpse there, waiting for the babies to come out and examine it, and then shooting them. So Pat I just about died right there. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09252003) Of course, this story was told to me by a friend who basically has a license plate that says RENFAIRE, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09262003) so maybe this is all an object lesson about listening to people from western Massachusetts.
-
...apparently a family friend of his would hunt gophers by shooting a mother, leaving the corpse there, waiting for the babies to come out and examine it, and then shooting them.
I would like to punch this person in the heart with my car keys, so hard that they die. Self-proclaimed "varmint hunters" are the most self-satisfied, blitheringly sadistic motherfuck*ng scum of the earth.
I am aware of the irony in the above paragraph.
-
...apparently a family friend of his would hunt gophers by shooting a mother, leaving the corpse there, waiting for the babies to come out and examine it, and then shooting them.
I would like to punch this person in the heart with my car keys, so hard that they die. Self-proclaimed "varmint hunters" are the most self-satisfied, blitheringly sadistic motherfuck*ng scum of the earth.
I am aware of the irony in the above paragraph.
:(
That is effing terrible.
Did you know that prairie dogs are a keystone species in the US? Hundreds of other species depend on them, and the entire delicate prairie ecosystem depends on the humble prairie dog. The 'dogs are a huge, huge source of debate and furor in my home state of Colorado. People just don't seem to get it that you can't engineer mass killings of a species and expect the rest of the ecosystem to get along without them, especially when so many other species in the prairie depend on the 'dogs for eating and whatnot.
Also, they are smarter than you would think. The prairie dog sentries have hundreds of distinct cries to warn others in their prairie-dog-community (is it called a warren?). For example, they have a specific warning for a human, and a separate distinct warning for a human with a gun.
Not only that, but I think that animals are underestimated by a lot of people. Koko the famous gorilla and her companion, Michael, were a classic example. Michael's parents were killed by poachers when he was a baby, and even as an adult he would suffer nightmares about it. He would wake up from a nighmare and cry. Because the gorillas knew sign language, they could communicate these nightmares to Penny and other humans that were around them. I'm sure that you all remember All-Ball, Koko's kitten. When All-Ball was hit by a car, Koko was inconsolable. So yes, animals do have a sense of family and they mourn just like we do. That gopher hunter is one sick fuck.
Then again, maybe I'm just hypersensitive. When I was a wee lass (aged 5 or 6), one of my asshole cousins went out and illegally took two juvenile deer. When he brought back their carcasses, he told us that he had shot Bambi. God. I havent' seen my asshole cousin in years, but if I saw him today I'd probably punch him in the heart so hard that he would die like Jared.
And yes, I am trying to "toughen up". I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan. I do not like hunting, but it's better than, say, factory farming. That is all.
-
I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan.
Ptarmigan? I'm imagining a tiny wyvern or something, and because of that, I'm not going to ask Google. And prarie dogs are straight-up awesome. They are my prarie DAWGS.
-
I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan.
Ptarmigan? I'm imagining a tiny wyvern or something, and because of that, I'm not going to ask Google.
Even though you didn't ask: ptarmigan are just sort of fluffy squat birds, kind of like grouse except they change color with the season. They are notable for being Alaska's state bird and also for having a disturbingly rad name. But hey, maybe they actually breathe fire or something.
I just started work in a rat lab, and so I'm trying to convince myself that experiments involving rats and amphetamines are basically okay. As I've said before to my friends, "well, we don't hurt them, we just make them really upset."
-
I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan.
Ptarmigan? I'm imagining a tiny wyvern or something, and because of that, I'm not going to ask Google. And prarie dogs are straight-up awesome. They are my prarie DAWGS.
Ptarmigan are adorable AND delicious. Their feathers turn white in the wintertime, and they have these adorable feathered feet. They are not very smart, but they are beautiful. The friend of mine that goes hunting is an avid outdoorsman. He loves to hunt and giraffe, and he eats everything that he takes. He does not hunt for trophies or anything like that, he hunts for subsistence, like so many families do here in the Aleutians.
My friend always brings home the ptarmigan feet for my kitties to play with. You should see Lennybruce with a ptarmigan foot! It's fuck*ng hilarious. He runs around, tosses it up into the air, acts like a badass predator, and has a great time. Milan, the fluffy adorable one, get downright badass when he has a ptarmigan foot. He puts on his "war face", folds his tiny ears back, starts growling, and gets all crazy. It's awesome.
-
Despite your descriptions I'm still picturing Sneetches.
-
My friend always brings home the ptarmigan feet for my kitties to play with. You should see Lennybruce with a ptarmigan foot! It's fuck*ng hilarious. He runs around, tosses it up into the air, acts like a badass predator, and has a great time. Milan, the fluffy adorable one, get downright badass when he has a ptarmigan foot. He puts on his "war face", folds his tiny ears back, starts growling, and gets all crazy. It's awesome.
Remembering the earlier pictures of Lenny and Miwan as just the cutest and least-threatening little fuzzballs ever, I totally demand pictures of this.
-
This just seems like something else Pat complained about. That asshole.
http://www.freep.com/news/locmac/mural18e_20050218.htm.
-
So yes, animals do have a sense of family and they mourn just like we do. That gopher hunter is one sick fuck.
And yes, I am trying to "toughen up". I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan. I do not like hunting, but it's better than, say, factory farming. That is all.
I agree that gopher hunter is a sick fuck, but (Wombat may not agree) I don't think demonstrable measurable emotion exists in many animals at all, exceptions including apes, elephants and dolphins. Predators, in particular, I don't believe have much emotion at all and as for familial sense - outside of Disney, few animals and especially prey animals are capable of that level of emotion. If they were, I imagine the food chain would collapse when all the inconsolable rodents stopped breeding. I would agree that some very rudimentary emotions exist but are short term and generally contribute to handling situations. Anger and Fear, possibly, and anxiety (my cats occasionally exhibit this) but I doubt anything more complex, like Joy or Grief, exist in animals outside of the apes, elephants, dolphins.
This is where PETA loses credibility with a lot of people they probably could have convinced on, say, the fur or meat arguments. When they straight-facedly conduct a campaign saying that giraffe feel pain when you hook them and try to get humans to be sympathetic to giraffe they lose people. I don't like leghold traps and I'm not much for fur, but I do believe that the earth and it's bounty exists as a self-sustaining system and people are a part of it - it doesn't exist for our use only.
-
Pat and Aaaaaarthur seem to have had a run-in with the Tea Nazi (http://waiterrant.blogspot.com/).
-
Pat and Aaaaaarthur seem to have had a run-in with the Tea Nazi (http://waiterrant.blogspot.com/).
compelling read.
-
Wow. Good call, that was Pat and Arthur.
-
That's funny.
And sad.
Poor Arthur has to tip the waiter because Pat's such a dick. Is it worth it Arthur? Is it?
-
I have definitely played the Pseudo-Arthur role at restaurants, usually in high school when I was with a group of dumb friends who would forget to tip. That said, my mantra has generally been to prune away asshole friends who treat me like dirt. It sure works for me, and it would probably work for Arthur. (And Nice Pete, if taken a bit more... literally.)
-
I went hunting with a friend of mine last weekend for ptarmigan.
Ptarmigan? I'm imagining a tiny wyvern or something, and because of that, I'm not going to ask Google. And prarie dogs are straight-up awesome. They are my prarie DAWGS.
Ptarmigan are adorable AND delicious. Their feathers turn white in the wintertime, and they have these adorable feathered feet. They are not very smart, but they are beautiful. The friend of mine that goes hunting is an avid outdoorsman. He loves to hunt and giraffe, and he eats everything that he takes. He does not hunt for trophies or anything like that, he hunts for subsistence, like so many families do here in the Aleutians.
Ptarmigan also either fear nothing or are incredibly stupid. If you shoot one, the rest will often just look at you, waiting for their own bullets.
-
That's got to simplify the hunting process significantly.
-
Ptarmigan also either fear nothing or are incredibly stupid. If you shoot one, the rest will often just look at you, waiting for their own bullets.
Heh! That is SO true. My friend has actually had to throw snowballs at them to make them move, since shooting a bird that's sitting on the ground and staring at you isn't very sporting. That's like bringing a tommy gun to a knife fight, or shooting giraffe in a barrel.