The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2005, 02:28:41 am

Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2005, 02:28:41 am
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3127-E-500.jpg)

It's not a buffet mind you, actually it's a sleazy neighboorhood convenience store, but they have none other than our favorite example of corporate cartooning at it's worst Garfield hawking "Buffet Style Pizza".  I can't even fathom what that could actually mean.  Possibly the only pizza worse than buffet pizza is convenience store pizza.  No, this isn't frozen convenience store pizza, it's Buffet Style.  All toppings, no extra charge.  Yeah!!!

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3127-E2-500.jpg)

Garfield makes such a good corporate shill.

~Paul
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: V-Adore on February 11, 2005, 02:42:35 am
What precisely is "buffet style" pizza? The only image that comes to mind is the several pizza lunch buffets that were around while I was in high school, but they were generally quite excellent.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: andalucia on February 11, 2005, 03:02:46 am
Yes, Paul, we demand further investigation.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 11, 2005, 03:03:19 am
The Pizza Hut near my work has a banner advertising a pizza lunch buffet but I've never gone. But now that I stop to think about I'm not really sure what that means.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 03:04:20 am
I won't defend Garfield, but I will defend pizza buffets.  The Pizza Inn I hit for lunch every couple of weeks has very good pizza, the waitresses are sweet in a corny old-fashioned beehive hairdo sort of way and they have those little baby corns on the salad bar.  7 of 10.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: V-Adore on February 11, 2005, 03:05:51 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Pizza Hut near my work has a banner advertising a pizza lunch buffet but I've never gone. But now that I stop to think about I'm not really sure what that means.

The ones I've seen have a fairly simple thing: basically, they have a buffet like with various pizzas laid out, and you can get slices as you like, typically on the "all you care to eat" mold. Even the rinky-dink ones usually also have breadsticks and salads, and the really nice ones often have a variety of other dishes (pasta seems to be popular, as is the ubiquitous Buffet Soft-Serve Machine).

Anyway, moving this, because what the christ does it have to do with A&E?
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: slink on February 11, 2005, 03:11:30 am
We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Cheers, V
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2005, 03:30:14 am
Buffet pizza doesn't have to suck, but it's never as good as hand tossed made to order pizza.  However, i'm mostly just amused at the concept of buffet style.  What could that mean exactly.  As best as I understand it, the pizza on a buffet is basically the same as any other pizza, and buffet only describes the way it is served.  How you can get this in a convenience store is totally beyond me.  Furthermore, the billboard perpetrates more falsehood by showing Garfield actually serving the pizza instead of placing it on a buffet.  It's just so bogus I think it  laughably underscores Jim Davis anything for money attitude that it was worth posting.  Is there a limit to what he will license his intellectual property for?  Apparently not.

I put this in arts and entertainment because I thought it was gonna be more about Garfield than the pizza.

~Paul
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: V-Adore on February 11, 2005, 03:30:47 am
Quote from: "slink"
We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Well, good ones also make sure the pizza on the buffet stays fresh and hot. It's all a quality thing, really.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 04:24:37 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "slink"
We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Well, good ones also make sure the pizza on the buffet stays fresh and hot. It's all a quality thing, really.


If you go at lunchtime the pizza doesn't stay on the buffet long enough to be other than fresh or hot.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 04:26:15 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I put this in arts and entertainment because I thought it was gonna be more about Garfield than the pizza.

~Paul


This is your first Onion Offense card> :)
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2005, 01:21:52 pm
Shouldn't it be lasagne?
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: arkabee on February 11, 2005, 02:12:14 pm
Convenience Store "Buffet Pizza" is a brand, not a way of serving pizza.  Herebouts, every BP/Amoco makes/sells "Buffet Pizza" brand pizza.  started about 2 years ago, iirc.

the pizza's are about 10 inches or so.  the crust is thickish.  sauce good.  lot's of cheese.  toppings are "free".

The cut them into 4 slices, then they box those slices, and put them into a warming machine near the counter, so that you can by a "slice".

if fresh, they are very good.  if not fresh they are bad like most not fresh food.

i have a feeling that if you don't like fast food, or convenience store food (2nd best fried chicken in town, till Gus's put a shop in they were 1st, is at a gas station.), then you will hate Buffet Pizza.

If you like that sort of food (have you ever asked, "extra MSG please?"), you will most likely fall in love with Buffet Pizza.

It is expensive, though, as are all foods at a convenience store.

as for buffets at restaurants that serve Pizza, Pizza hut's lunch buffet is an excellent, cost-effective way to stuff yourself sick during the lunch hour.  My esteemed Buffet Colleage is correct, during a busy lunch hour the buffet's pizzas get eaten so fast that they will stay hot and fresh due to replacement at quick intervals.  plus salad bar for those that think roughage is a good idea before eating massive quantities of doughy product covered with gobs of CHEESE.


PS-
i hate mondays.

pps-
i have not seen any mascots ont he Buffet Pizza brand signs in town, i will keep an eye out.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2005, 04:40:27 pm
There's a pizza place back home, Fat Jimmys, that does a real good pizza buffet thing. Mmmmm.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: miles on February 11, 2005, 04:51:08 pm
I can appreciate really good pizza, and I can tell a difference between good and not-so-good pizza.

That said, I really like the not-so-good pizza, as well.  I love the frozen ones you can get for $.79 to $2.00 at the grocery store.  I love Costco pizza.  I love buffet pizza.  Little Caesar's too.  I just love pizza.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: arkabee on February 11, 2005, 05:13:43 pm
herebouts you can get totino's pizza's for like a buck a pop.  i love the crust, it's so crispy and flaky.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: V-Adore on February 11, 2005, 05:50:59 pm
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

I live in a small college town with two pizza places, both heavily delivery-oriented. One is a mom-and-pop infamous for glacially slow delivery (good pizza, but expect to be waiting an hour and a half), and the other is an "avant-garde" kind of place (read: can't get a goddamn pepperoni pizza without giant tomato chunks or onions or like whole sardines or something). Both have slowly grown on me. There used to be a Pizza Hut, but it closed; God only knows why you would possibly close a Pizza Hut in a college town, but foul play has been indicated.

EDIT: Today, with this post, I am an artificial liver. The sun has made a note of my face.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2005, 05:55:42 pm
I'll have to remember for future reference that pizza trumps Garfield as a discussion topic.

~Paul
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 05:56:12 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

I live in a small college town with two pizza places, both heavily delivery-oriented. One is a mom-and-pop infamous for glacially slow delivery (good pizza, but expect to be waiting an hour and a half), and the other is an "avant-garde" kind of place (read: can't get a goddamn pepperoni pizza without giant tomato chunks or onions or like whole sardines or something). Both have slowly grown on me. There used to be a Pizza Hut, but it closed; God only knows why you would possibly close a Pizza Hut in a college town, but foul play has been indicated.


Congrats on 2500!
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 05:58:44 pm
Pizza is a topic close to my heart.  19 years ago I got a job delivering pizzas while I took a semester off from college.  I met the manager, we got to know each other, fell in love, moved in together, got married, had kids and the rest is all history.

She's still my boss.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2005, 06:04:37 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Pizza is a topic close to my heart.  19 years ago I got a job delivering pizzas while I took a semester off from college.  I met the manager, we got to know each other, fell in love, moved in together, got married, had kids and the rest is all history.

She's still my boss.


So, when ya'll worked together did you ever have an experience like this (http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2005/01/nowhere-to-go-but-wendys.html)

J/K big guy, you know I love you.

~Paul
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 11, 2005, 07:54:30 pm
Quote from: "miles"
I can appreciate really good pizza, and I can tell a difference between good and not-so-good pizza.

That said, I really like the not-so-good pizza, as well.  I love the frozen ones you can get for $.79 to $2.00 at the grocery store.  I love Costco pizza.  I love buffet pizza.  Little Caesar's too.  I just love pizza.

I'm a sucker for original Tombstone pepperoni & sausage. And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

Pizza IS the four food groups!
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2005, 08:39:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.


We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 11, 2005, 08:49:10 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.

We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.

Now I've got the little "pizza pizza" guy stuck in my head.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: Skillator on February 11, 2005, 09:47:38 pm
I worked in the pizza preparation industry for many years. I know the ins and outs of fantastic pizza and there is no way buffet style pizza can be more than tepid as far as pizzas go especially if Garfield has touched it in any way.
Stick with Lasagna (that looks like canneloni anyway) you filthy creature.

But I think the general mass of North america hasn't much concept of how good pizza can be. Pizza hut the most successful of Pizza companies is a greasy stain on the world of flavour. Try as we might to wash that stain out, it has ruined the fabric of good taste forever. I mean they fry the pie  in a pan of oil for starters. They proceed to spray it with grease to give it that shiny gloss and the toppings... freshness is a word that has never been uttered within the four walls of a pizza hut.

Give me hand tossed, oven baked with freshly chopped ingredients, made by some minimum wage earning student or give me... I don't know... AIDS.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: St_Zartan on February 11, 2005, 10:39:27 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.


My girlfriend and I found one of those places five minutes from the apartment; I was surprised to discover that (a) they were still in business and (b) put out pizza I actually like better than others at twice the price. I don't know if our location is different, but they'll do any single topping on a large pie for five bucks - I'm partial to mushrooms, myself - and pizza that tasty at such a low price has become the Path of Least Resistance, dinner-wise, on way too many occasions.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: miles on February 11, 2005, 10:48:55 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
But I think the general mass of North america hasn't much concept of how good pizza can be. Pizza hut the most successful of Pizza companies is a greasy stain on the world of flavour. Try as we might to wash that stain out, it has ruined the fabric of good taste forever. I mean they fry the pie  in a pan of oil for starters. They proceed to spray it with grease to give it that shiny gloss and the toppings... freshness is a word that has never been uttered within the four walls of a pizza hut.


I really can appreciate a good pizza, and am willing, occassionally, to pay more bucks for one, if necessary (and it isn't always necessary).  But sometimes, only the cheap shit will hit the spot.  And usually, that works out well because cheap shit is what I can afford.

Incidentally, Pizza Hut is one of the only pizzas I don't like.  

Are you the pizza snob reviewer who writes for the local alternative weekly publication here?  Just kiddin'.  But really, truer words were ne'er spoken:

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2005, 11:40:36 pm
Man, August, when I finally meet you, all I'm going to think about is your Romance Among the Pepperoni.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: andalucia on February 12, 2005, 12:36:37 am
I have to be very drunk indeed before I'll eat pizza, but that is absolutely the state that this city is optimized for.  Any street with bars also has a thousand "99-cent" pizza places, where the sneaky trick is that only cheese pizza is 99 cents, and they stop making it at night, so drunk people have to shell out the extra fifty cents or so.  
But mostly I think the vast majority of pizza can go straight to food hell.  I had this slice of crazy good vegan pizza in New York a while ago, but mostly I just don't dig it.  So I guess I'll go live on vegan island with the rest of the weird vegans.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2005, 12:53:30 am
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0246-E600.JPG)

Now that's some crazy good pizza.

~Paul
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: jough on February 12, 2005, 03:56:02 am
That looks good.  I like lots of toppings.  Mmm...
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: St_Zartan on February 12, 2005, 06:03:45 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Now that's some crazy good pizza.


Is that Antonio's Original Flying over on Hillcroft?
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2005, 09:01:10 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is that Antonio's Original Flying over on Hillcroft?


Bingo.

And here's Antonio...

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0233-E-600.jpg)
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 12, 2005, 04:24:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
That looks good.  I like lots of toppings.  Mmm...

I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: St_Zartan on February 12, 2005, 05:19:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.


Pizza's not web design, dude. You are missing out on some unique taste sensations (thumbs up to your toppings of choice, though; maybe add some pickled eggplant and mushrooms into the mix...?).
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: slink on February 12, 2005, 05:25:28 pm
I have to say, I was quite swayed by mascarpone on pizza. I thought it would just be weird, but as a topping seperate from mozarella, and with some nice cured meat, it's really good.
I tend to eat really plain pizza, as it's impossible to get good pizza round here, so the fewer toppings the better I find. I really should make more use of the bread machine to mix dough.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2005, 05:49:44 pm
I tend to think of pizza as kind of like sex.  Even bad pizza is worth having.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 12, 2005, 09:34:41 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.

Pizza's not web design, dude. You are missing out on some unique taste sensations (thumbs up to your toppings of choice, though; maybe add some pickled eggplant and mushrooms into the mix...?).

I'll go for a muscles pizza, "philly steak," &c if I go to a fancy place like Pizza Paradiso but for my general Friday night gullet filling from the place on the corner (Facia Luna) simple is my usual choice.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: slink on February 12, 2005, 10:59:57 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'll go for a muscles pizza, "philly steak,"


It may be just that I'm high, but that made me think that smoked mussels on pizza might just kick ass. It's probably the pot though...
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: Skillator on February 14, 2005, 07:03:28 pm
When I was at the old pizza joint we did some crazy shit. Toasted sandwiches with pizza toppings anyone? Calzones, taco pizza, nachos, all sorts of good things.

Taco pizza is wonderful: Salsa sauce, beef/chicken and onions and light mozza... cook it. Once cooked and cut, add sour cream, fresh lettuce (chopped), tomatos and cheddar. The cheddar will melt in the box.  It's all hell of messy but it is a taste sensation not soon forgotten.

My personal specialty was sauce fortified with chili pepper flakes, sundried tomato, spinach, light onion, chicken, parmesan and mozza.
With a bit of jalepeno ranch dip you will transcend existence and enter a galaxy of pure flavour.

Pizza creation is like an expirement that cannot possibly go wrong. But when attempted by experienced professionals can change your mouth's life.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 14, 2005, 09:12:55 pm
The worst pizza I have ever had in my life was in the UK, but it was Leeds, not Scotland, so maybe you have something better there. They have strange ideas about what to put on pizzas there.

I did try Haggis and it was good, though.

I don't actually like any national chain-store Pizza. I like to try mom-and-pop shop pizzas. I draw a very strong distinction between 'Pizza' and a gourmet dish featuring boutique ingredients like smoked mussels or sundried tomatoes on a flatbread. I like them but I can't put them in the same category with a good pizza.

I see the ingredients have been discussed but what about the all-important crust? I love deep dish pizza (wife hates it for some reason) and I used to get the thinnest soda-cracker type crust pizza in Columbus Ohio (I can't remember where, it was near Conrad's... close to or at the Varsity) and it was awesome.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2005, 09:14:50 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I see the ingredients have been discussed but what about the all-important crust? I love deep dish pizza (wife hates it for some reason) and I used to get the thinnest soda-cracker type crust pizza in Columbus Ohio (I can't remember where, it was near Conrad's... close to or at the Varsity) and it was awesome.

That 2" thick crap they sell in Chicago is not pizza, it's a crime against nature. It totally throws off the ingredient ratio so they whole thing tastes like dough. NY pizza is the best as it's verty thin but not so thin that it snaps when you bite it.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 14, 2005, 09:18:23 pm
I love deep dish pizza and it's really good if you it right. It doesn't take more dough to make a deep dish pizza and if that's what you get then it was  crap.

So what is the 'ingredient ratio' you mention?
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2005, 09:38:08 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So what is the 'ingredient ratio' you mention?

Just that the toppings shouldn't completely overpower the crust or vice versa.  I don't have an actual formula I just think that a slice of pizza shouldn't taste like just sauce or just crust as so often happens with shitty pizza.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: Skillator on February 14, 2005, 10:24:30 pm
Deep dish means cooked in oil and I'm am hell of not down with that.

Hand tossed by some minimum wage kid who has practiced for years and is very proud of the skill he has acquired is the way to do it. But I have had stuff flattened with a roller that was good.

Brick oven is the high quality cooking method the way you'll only get from some actual Italian guy. Those conveyor belt ovens can do an alright job. Doughy is bad unless you have something to do with that crust, like dip.

But crust is a complicated thing. If it doesn't have much flavour, your sauce has to be loaded with it. But a good bit of herb in the crust really sets up a great taste experience.
But keep the oil away from my damned pie!
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 14, 2005, 10:25:40 pm
Can't argue with that no matter what you're cooking. The corollary would be that no perfection of toppings can overcome a shitty crust no matter what.

And I hate this new thing where the crust is stuffed with sauce or cheese or some other substance.  Another reason I hate dominoes and little caesars and pizza hut and other nationwide purveyors of pizza-like substances.

And what really sucks is my kid is in a reading program at school which is a nationwide program sponsored by Pizza Hut. So once a month she is rewarded with a personal pan pizza at the Hut for reading (for getting read to) 15 times. She is starting to read herself, which will take some of the guilt and shame away, but in the name of education and literacy I choke down Pizza Hut once a month.
Title: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2005, 11:17:52 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And what really sucks is my kid is in a reading program at school which is a nationwide program sponsored by Pizza Hut. So once a month she is rewarded with a personal pan pizza at the Hut for reading (for getting read to) 15 times. She is starting to read herself, which will take some of the guilt and shame away, but in the name of education and literacy I choke down Pizza Hut once a month.

BookIt was awesome. And if the whole class met the quote there was a pizza party in class. Rock.