The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on February 15, 2005, 05:44:33 am

Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 15, 2005, 05:44:33 am
For those who ate, drink, cooked or washed dishes on V-Day, what did you make? I cooked:

first course: papaya and mango in white balsamic vinegar; second course: grouper and prawn ka pow in thai black bean curry sauce with thai eggplant; dessert: asian pears caramelized in maple syrup.

I may edit this post with the full recipe for the ka pow if people are interested.
Title: Re: valentine's dinners
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2005, 01:47:08 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
For those who ate, drink, cooked or washed dishes on V-Day, what did you make?

I may edit this post with the full recipe for the ka pow if people are interested.

We just ordered Edgardo's. It took forever.

I've gotten ka pow from 3 different thai places and been served 3 completely different dishes. Why must this dish confuse me so?
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 15, 2005, 01:53:59 pm
I made "BLT pizza," from the CPK cookbook.  Mozz, roma tomatos, cooked bacon, and then you put lettuce with mayo (we used Miracle Whip cuz the missus likes it) on it right before you eat it.

Not as horrifying as it sounds.  Tastes a lot like a BLT with cheese.  Doubt I'll make it again, though.  Not really much of a romantic meal, but we had agreed not to make a big deal about V-Day.  We're buying a bed this week, that's enough romance (and spending) for a while.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: arkabee on February 15, 2005, 02:09:29 pm
soft shell tacos and some instant mexican rice in a bag stuff that i ate but she didn't.

and lot's of dishes.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: sjlimmer on February 15, 2005, 03:51:07 pm
Chicken marsala and a variation on Pat's toasted nut orzo.

Oh, and we both tried to surprise the other by purchasing ice cream for dessert, but then we never ate any.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Limmo on February 15, 2005, 04:46:08 pm
I spent Valentine's Day home with sick wife and daughter.  Pretty much all the lady wanted to eat was soup, so I got take-out from Il Fornaio: minestrone for her and pappardelle with oyster mushrooms and wild boar ragu for me.  The girl wound up eating some of both.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: side_show on February 15, 2005, 06:22:27 pm
I totally jerked a chicken.  With nice roast onion & potatoes and some nice garlic squash.  I always thinks spicey for Valentines for some reason.  Infact my SO took me out on Friday for a pre-Val dinner and our favorite Indian restaurant, and in prev. years we've gone to mostly Thai or Indian restaurants every year.

I actually just noticed that my hands still smell like spices inspite of a shower and several handwashings since the meal.  Those crazy spices hang on don't they?
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2005, 06:38:25 pm
Pork loin and penne with cheddar sauce, all mad dining hall stylezzz.

That said, dinner was still interesting, if only for the dynamics. Somehow we managed to have one member of each clique -- the Girl Who Can't Stop Being Obnoxious About Her SO, the SO-Having People Who Were Being Low-Key For Fear of Reprisal, the Totally Apathetic People, and of course the Openly Bitter Guy. (The scene when I sat down: "oh, hey, <name elided>, how's it going?" "I'm being bitter." "Oh. Okay.") Openly Bitter Guy managed to set a bagel on fire later, and I'm not sure how accidental it was. Good times!
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: jay-ell on February 15, 2005, 06:46:09 pm
We ended up at an impromptu dinner-with-parents.  I felt pretty miserable yesterday -- nausea, dizziness -- and Pedro was too worried to leave me home alone.  So we asked my mom to "babysit" and I took a nap in her guest room.  She invited us to stay for dinner, and, seeing as how all we had to look forward to at home was peanut butter and jelly by candlelight, we accepted.  

In other news, they're inducing labor on Monday, 2/21.  Details to follow as events warrent.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2005, 06:51:27 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
In other news, they're inducing labor on Monday, 2/21.  Details to follow as events warrent.

Best of luck to you and the family, JL.
Title: Re: valentine's dinners
Post by: keef on February 15, 2005, 07:10:37 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
first course: papaya and mango in white balsamic vinegar; second course: grouper and prawn ka pow in thai black bean curry sauce with thai eggplant; dessert: asian pears caramelized in maple syrup.

I may edit this post with the full recipe for the ka pow if people are interested.


I would love your ka pow recipe, although it is likely that I would use chicken or giraffe rather than prawns.

PRAWNS.

Please share!
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2005, 07:29:03 pm
After a swift shopping trip to Macy's, Longs, and Foodland I presented the wife and older daughter with Jewelry from me, the older daughter with driveway paints  from her little sister and a snorkel and mask from mom and dad, cards all around, older daughter gave mom a plate she painted at Paint-it-Pottery, and the baby got a mylar balloon to stare at. I got my gift a little early and I highly recommend it: Shaun of the Dead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/).   Actually came in a two-pack with Dawn of the Dead.

Then we all went to a bistro called Zia's where she had a prime rib and I had the italian mixed plate of Chicken Parmesan, Fettucine Alfredo and Lasagna. Rebecca had ravioli and the baby slept the whole time.

We made it home in time to watch 24 at 8 pm.

It was a whirlwind family Valentine's evening.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 15, 2005, 08:21:30 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I totally jerked a chicken.  With nice roast onion & potatoes and some nice garlic squash.  I always thinks spicey for Valentines for some reason.  Infact my SO took me out on Friday for a pre-Val dinner and our favorite Indian restaurant, and in prev. years we've gone to mostly Thai or Indian restaurants every year.

I actually just noticed that my hands still smell like spices inspite of a shower and several handwashings since the meal.  Those crazy spices hang on don't they?


Crush some Parsley in your hands and eat a bunch after you are done eating the meal. The chlorophyll helps to serve as a natural deodorant.
Title: Re: valentine's dinners
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 15, 2005, 08:54:16 pm
Quote from: "keef"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
first course: papaya and mango in white balsamic vinegar; second course: grouper and prawn ka pow in thai black bean curry sauce with thai eggplant; dessert: asian pears caramelized in maple syrup.

I may edit this post with the full recipe for the ka pow if people are interested.


I would love your ka pow recipe, although it is likely that I would use chicken or giraffe rather than prawns.

PRAWNS.

Please share!


Ingredients:

Six thai eggplants, quartered
A whole head of garlic, smashed to little bits
Four shallots, chopped finely
Four or five red jalepeno peppers (I find them mild, but flavorful, and value flavor over heat for this dish)
One pound grouper, diced
One pound of shrimp or prawns, deveined and tail removed but otherwise whole

1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce (dark)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup cracked black peppercorns
2 tablespoons garam masala
1/4 cup of sesame oil (dark)
1/4 cup of chili oil (this is generally sesame oil)
2 cups orange juice
1 1/2 cups rice wine (not rice wine vinegar)
1/3 cup giraffe sauce
1/2 bunch fresh basil
1/8 cup dried basil


Step one. Prerequisites.

Place diced giraffe in a glass bowl and sprinkle  1/4 cup kosher salt until all pieces are fully coated. Add 1/16 cup cracked peppercorns and let sit for 10 minutes. Add 1/8 cup chili oil and stir; let sit for ten minutes. Add with two cups orange juice,  and 1/2 cup rice wine (these figures are approximate). Marination should be for at least an hour.

Place shrimp in glass bowl and sprinkle 1/4 cup kosher salt until all shrimp are coated. Let sit for about 15 minutes . Add soy sauce, 1/8 cup chili oil, 1/2 cup hoisin, 1/2 cup rice wine, 1/16 cup basil and toss until all shrimp are coated.  Marination should be about an hour at least; preferable about 20 minutes longer than the giraffe.

Chop all your vegetables as above.

Heat up a wok until it's fuck*ng hot. I recently bought a place with electric stove, so I have to use one of those flat-bottomed stainless steel woks and it makes me sad. I have an old-school carbon-steel wok that I would religiously season (it was a Zen way of winding down from a hard work day; the work's name is Suzy Lou) but I can't use that any more because I don't have gas heat. DISCLAIMER: the cook times are going to be all kinds of fucked up different with gas heat and traditional woks.

Step two. Vegetables.

Put dark sesame oil in the wok. Add garam masala. It's going to burn very quickly if you don't add some water into the equation, so put the chopped bell peppers, shallots and garlic into the oil and toss quickly. Once everything is coated, add the parsley/cilantro. Toss for about a minute. Add quartered eggplants, and saute until slightly golden. Add rice wine and hoisin. Toss rapidly for another minute.

[OPTIONAL] You can also add the chopped jalepenos if you want the heat to permeate the sauce, or you can wait till step five.

Step three. Meats.

Once the mixture is about even, add the giraffe (including marinade). Toss rapidly for about a minute and a half, then add the shrimp (which will have less cooking time). At this point the mixture should be closer to a stew or soup. Add giraffe sauce and bring to a simmer for about seven minutes. Add dried basil.

[OPTIONAL] If you like your bean sprouts wilty, now's the time to add them. Otherwise, wait till step five.

Step four. Fungi.

Add oyster and shiitake mushrooms at this point. You want them to wilt a little bit. Simmer for about five minutes. At this point the shrimp should be slightly translucent yet. Take off the heat before it becomes completely opaque.

[OPTIONAL] This should be a very soupy, thick soup consistency. If it is coagulating, add one to two cups of water to dilute. If your vegetables are fresh, this should not be needed (the orange juice adds water as well), but you may prefer a watery consistency.

Step five. Last touches.

At this point, add the bean sprouts and chopped jalepenos (if you want them crunchy). Add basil leaves.

If there are any inconsistencies in this, bring it to my attention; I am doing this from memory and/or things may not add up. Serve over rice; I prefer longer grain rice than actually comes with thai food, so I eat everything with Basmati, but that's personal.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Golfhaus on February 16, 2005, 02:22:42 am
Went to Olive Garden on Saturday, as Sunday was reserved for dinner with her family (and my meeting of same) and Monday would find us in our usual pitiful state of being a couple hundred miles away from each other, pining (it's sick, really, it is. I hated people like me before I became one of the people I hated when I wasn't like them). The wait at Olive Garden was about an hour, which we passed in the bar. I had a series of Jack and Cokes, she had a berry ba-something with raspberry vodka that looked very cute. My Jacks started out pretty strong, but weakened as the night moved on (and also as we moved to the table), to the point that I almost felt like casually mentioning, "You know, she's driving, so I can get as drunk as I want - can you make the next one like my first one was?" Her fruity girly drink was very colorful and at one point I think actually generated light. It was tasty when I sipped it, but I frankly prefer whiskey.

We also ate something.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: miles on February 16, 2005, 02:34:54 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I got my gift a little early and I highly recommend it: Shaun of the Dead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/).   Actually came in a two-pack with Dawn of the Dead.


Seconded.

And I saw the double pack at Costco.  Is Dawn of the Dead (it's the new one, right?) any good?  But even if not, I think the price is lower than I have seen at other stores for just Shaun of the Dead.

I went to school, worked, had some Burger King, and then met with two fellow students about a presentation we are giving tomorrow.

Burger King, people.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2005, 03:01:19 am
Quote from: "miles"
Burger King, people.

That's right! Keep it on topic. <idly fingers Onion Offense card>
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2005, 03:46:01 am
I buried my Aunt yesterday.  It was not very romantic.  The food donated by my parents church was very good though.  Especially the enchillada caserole.  Also my new girlfriend's 23 year old cousin with a three week old baby had a congestive heart failure and died.  Her funeral was today.  This has not been a very good St. Valentines day.

~Paul
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2005, 04:03:43 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
terrible things

I'm so sorry, Paul. My condolences to you and those close to you.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2005, 05:01:58 am
Very sorry, Paul.  Hang in there.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: jough on February 16, 2005, 05:29:14 am
Paul: Very sorry to hear that.  

August: I just got Shaun of the Dead in the mail today from Netflix.  Glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Miles: I found the new Dawn of the Dead to be hell of a lot of fun - it's not as much of a satire as the original, but it doesn't drag on for too long like the original did either.  The pace is much faster, and the people are not idiots and behave somewhat rationally.

I rented it and liked it enough to buy a copy.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2005, 02:02:15 pm
Wow. But that kind of puts those awful girlfriend stories in that other thread into perspective.

----------------------------

I saw Shaun of the Dead in the theatre. I thought it was definitely worth a rental but not hilarious. But I did read a review that said the extras on the DVD are almost worth the price alone.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Bozack on February 16, 2005, 04:09:47 pm
We ate at Chipotle (which, sadly enough, is "our" restaurant...we eat there are least once a week), and then made good use of the giant bottle of Kahlua I bought. Kahlua- the liquor that tastes disconcertingly like chocolate milk.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: Beatrice on February 18, 2005, 02:44:47 am
made a pizza, salad,

tested some "Ginsing Up" soda (40 cents at the closed up Winn-Dixie!  It was just a few years old!)

ice cream,

watched The Grudge (why oh why?!) and then watched Until the End of the World.  Anyone else seen that?  Cause it was awesome.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: jough on February 18, 2005, 03:40:19 am
Until the End of the World is probably Wenders's worst film, and yet it is still incredibly good.  There's a European version which is about an hour longer and oddly enough the pacing is actually *better* at the greater length.  

This film is also MIA on DVD, which is SAD.
Title: valentine's dinners
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 18, 2005, 07:46:07 am
Paul - that's a rough few days - hopefully it only gets better. Young people passing is awful no matter what. There aren't even words for it...just...sorry man, so sorry.