The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MSC on February 18, 2005, 12:50:27 pm

Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: MSC on February 18, 2005, 12:50:27 pm
...means Trouble with a capital "T"
and that rhymes with "P"
and that stands for "Phillipe"
Title: Re: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 18, 2005, 01:39:27 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
...means Trouble with a capital "T"
and that rhymes with "P"
and that stands for "Phillipe"


Fie on you for not naming this thread "the braggadocio of a Rap person."
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2005, 02:00:10 pm
And Philippe accidently gives Lyle an idea for his next series of movies involving various foods paired with Magic Gravy.

Also, Philippe should not pour boiling Magic Gravy in his eyes. That would be . . . disturbing. I'd link this but Achewood.com is being for suck right now and keeps timing out.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 18, 2005, 02:04:14 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And Philippe accidently gives Lyle an idea for his next series of movies involving various foods paired with Magic Gravy.

Also, Philippe should not pour boiling Magic Gravy in his eyes. That would be . . . disturbing. I'd link this but Achewood.com is being for suck right now and keeps timing out.


The AbnrmlJstr I know would force the achewood servers to respond with an appropriate response.

You're getting old, dawg.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on February 18, 2005, 02:21:11 pm
"I fie upon that"? Is that some obscure usage of "fie" that I was previously unaware of?
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Silverberg on February 18, 2005, 02:30:16 pm
Maybe he's just so upset that he wasn't bothering with proper usage.

Great strip.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Emergent_C on February 18, 2005, 03:48:34 pm
Here comes a special boy...straight into the clutches of drunks and pedants. That's gonna be one messed-up otter.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2005, 04:20:29 pm
When exactly did Mr. Bear stop being a basically well-meaning, if slightly fussy, responsibility figure and turn into Pat Reynolds Again? Did I miss the memo?
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2005, 04:21:39 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
When exactly did Mr. Bear stop being a basically well-meaning, if slightly fussy, responsibility figure and turn into Pat Reynolds Again? Did I miss the memo?


Everybody has buttons that shouldn't be pushed.

~Paul
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2005, 04:24:03 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
When exactly did Mr. Bear stop being a basically well-meaning, if slightly fussy, responsibility figure and turn into Pat Reynolds Again? Did I miss the memo?


Everybody has buttons that shouldn't be pushed.

~Paul

I dunno, I find it arbitrary and dumb. Achewood really doesn't need another Pat. and part of the humor of Mr. Bear IMHO comes from the fact that he's not actually a dick, just far more fastidious than those who live around him. Also, pushing the "Philippe is hurt because of a misunderstanding" button strikes me as less melancholy now and more just mean-spirited.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: St_Zartan on February 18, 2005, 04:49:24 pm
I think that's the joke, V - Mr. Bear is usually so understanding and genial and indulgent, but he's just got this one thing he can't stand, and poor little Philippe, well, he really fucked up this time (that is some terrific alt-text, by the way).

Do you like the idea of Philippe turning out like Little Nephew? You do not.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2005, 05:01:42 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I think that's the joke, V - Mr. Bear is usually so understanding and genial and indulgent, but he's just got this one thing he can't stand


Thank you Zartan.  I think it's consistant with his character as well.  He's very genteel so it would stand to reason he would really have a strong dislike for such a vulgur medium as rap music.

~Paul
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2005, 05:03:24 pm
I should add also, that I thought it was funny.  It made me laugh.

~Paul
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2005, 05:04:43 pm
Eh, it still doesn't work for me, but I certainly am not the only reader of this free daily comic strip. If it works for others, more power to y'all.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2005, 05:21:39 pm
No need to become petulant my dear.

~Paul
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 18, 2005, 05:42:33 pm
Quote
When exactly did Mr. Bear stop being a basically well-meaning, if slightly fussy, responsibility figure and turn into Pat Reynolds Again? Did I miss the memo?


I see Mr. Bear's actions today as both well meaning and responsible.  He was very direct with Philippe about pu$$yl intercourse, after all. I think he flew off the handle because he thinks rap promotes some bad messages about sex and he wants Philippe to have a healthy view and respect for the subject. With all the bad influences hanging around, I think it's within reason for Mr. Bear to be strict with Philippe.

So the key difference is that Mr Bear is only looking out for Philippe, whereas Pat is just a dick.
Title: Re: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Max on February 18, 2005, 05:44:33 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

Fie on you for not naming this thread "the braggadocio of a Rap person."


Agreed.

Good strip, but I thought Lyle could have made a stronger effort at corruption of youth.  He sort of burned out early on...I don't know, maybe that's more a Lie-Bot thing.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 18, 2005, 05:48:00 pm
I would also like to add that I found it hilarious that Lyle, who had a brief stint as a porn tycoon, was afraid of being up front with a five-year-old about sex.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: jough on February 18, 2005, 06:05:10 pm
Maybe it's just because Lyle doesn't really know where babies come from.  He is only an alive stuffed animal after all.

Fie!

Nonesense!

It's ejaculation week (excuse the pun) at Achewood!
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2005, 06:38:01 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Maybe it's just because Lyle doesn't really know where babies come from.  He is only an alive stuffed animal after all.

In that case, why does Mr. Bear know? Or is this a result of his long-standing sexual confusion (see: the Ekaterina Saga)?

Also, I like the word "fie," even when used as a verb. I declare this to be FIE YOU FRIDAY.

FIE YOU
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: andalucia on February 18, 2005, 06:45:19 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, I like the word "fie," even when used as a verb. I declare this to be FIE YOU FRIDAY.

FIE YOU



FIEDAY!

sorry.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 18, 2005, 07:07:28 pm
Strip was funny.

Mr Bear, being to an extreme in the gentility department would of course be subject to extremes in other directions. EVERYONE with an extreme facet of their personality has other extremes, it's about balance. So naturally he would have a visceral response to something - who knew it was Rap, though?
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 18, 2005, 07:08:09 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, I like the word "fie," even when used as a verb. I declare this to be FIE YOU FRIDAY.

FIE YOU



FIEDAY!

sorry.


all you dumbass robots, i'm going to fie you until you shit your #####.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 18, 2005, 07:10:37 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Strip was funny.

Mr Bear, being to an extreme in the gentility department would of course be subject to extremes in other directions. EVERYONE with an extreme facet of their personality has other extremes, it's about balance. So naturally he would have a visceral response to something - who knew it was Rap, though?



Coming Tuesday - Mr. Bear meets D'Shawn and the Sexual Homeboys!
WE RETURN WEDNESDAY.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 18, 2005, 07:15:55 pm
Gee Bobby, weren't you gonna tell them the part about where Mr Bear cooks his famous chicken recipe for them?
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: slink on February 18, 2005, 07:30:40 pm
Tush and fie.
Yea, I have started using fie more often myself, and thanks to Cornelius it's probably only going to get worse. It does seem to have about halved the frequency at which I yell fuck though.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: MattFish on February 19, 2005, 06:57:35 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Gee Bobby, weren't you gonna tell them the part about where Mr Bear cooks his famous chicken recipe for them?


does it involve magic gravy
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 19, 2005, 01:06:33 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Gee Bobby, weren't you gonna tell them the part about where Mr Bear cooks his famous chicken recipe for them?


does it involve magic gravy


bless ye
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2005, 06:08:00 pm
Jesus Christ, Bobby, change the avatar before Jough sees it and forcibly changes it for you.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: jough on February 19, 2005, 06:43:31 pm
It's small enough and you cannot make it out from far away, so it's work safe (as work safe as a comic strip message board can be) so I'm going to allow it unless mods are offended or something.

V has the power to change it, so you'd all better be nice to V-Adore.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: slink on February 19, 2005, 07:42:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"

V has the power to change it, so you'd all better be nice to V-Adore.


All? Jeez I tried to change my avatar once and I got leapt on for disappearing. Not that I mind. Ed and Ein does seem to be my one true avatar now.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2005, 08:12:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Jesus Christ, Bobby, change the avatar before Jough sees it and forcibly changes it for you.

I thought it was pretty funny. Moreso if her skirt were lifted up somehow.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2005, 08:14:07 pm
Well, if Jough doesn't mind, I don't mind. After all, I have to remain Good Admin to Jough's Bad Admin, or the whole game falls apart.

That said, I guess I was startled by the sudden lack of symmetry between avatar and signature. Or maybe I just wanted more hella yellin' about the sex.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 19, 2005, 11:55:54 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, if Jough doesn't mind, I don't mind. After all, I have to remain Good Admin to Jough's Bad Admin, or the whole game falls apart.

That said, I guess I was startled by the sudden lack of symmetry between avatar and signature. Or maybe I just wanted more hella yellin' about the sex.


I periodically cause trouble. I may revert to the hella yelling when I get bored with this. My avatars have a half-life of a week apparently.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Limmo on February 20, 2005, 06:06:05 am
Yeah, don'tcha just hate people who can't stick with an avatar?
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2005, 04:32:34 pm
Bobby's new avatar is making me VERY CROSS.
Title: 2/18 -- Magic Gravy...
Post by: Beatrice on February 20, 2005, 08:38:28 pm
i do not want the baby to know what sex is. thank you.