The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on February 19, 2005, 03:38:06 am

Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2005, 03:38:06 am
Holy crap a new entry!

I'm too lazy to google, but please tell me that this heated handle and 1/2" drop is shit that Onstad is making up. I mean I've been weeping for humanity for a while now as it was, but this would just intesify it.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2005, 04:07:13 am
CJ? Not being bothered to google something? Clearly the end times are upon us!
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2005, 04:17:58 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
CJ? Not being bothered to google something? Clearly the end times are upon us!

Because I'm terrified that it would be real. I'd rather live in ignorance.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2005, 04:42:53 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
CJ? Not being bothered to google something? Clearly the end times are upon us!

Because I'm terrified that it would be real. I'd rather live in ignorance.

Okay, full points for the Lovecraft Defense. Saving one's sanity is always a decent excuse to avoid looking.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2005, 05:05:36 am
Heated door handles!  Breakfast phalluses!


Life is crazy and good.
Title: Re: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: miles on February 19, 2005, 05:54:22 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm too lazy to google, but please tell me that this heated handle and 1/2" drop is shit that Onstad is making up. I mean I've been weeping for humanity for a while now as it was, but this would just intesify it.


You mean the idea of ridiculous automobile frills and add-ons is new to you?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2005, 05:07:28 pm
Hey, I kind of liked Memento. It was a neat gimmick.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Mantonio on February 19, 2005, 06:56:02 pm
Nice Pete rocks. If only he'd update his blog, though. I want to know what happens to Dimitri and the passel of college girls.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2005, 07:25:24 pm
Yes, Nice Pete and Arthur are perfect for Pat in a cosmic justice sort of way.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: sensate on February 19, 2005, 11:36:12 pm
I cannot begin to describe how cool it was the moment I read "I'm getting pretty sore from the way he holds my neck against the wall while he eats all this stuff."

I was starting to have not-nice thoughts about Onstad not updating the blogs, and then he does this. So good.

It's like Pat will put up with anything in the context of self-help, even if it's from a serial murderer. And Pete must be getting kind of frustrated that Pat isn't responding at all the right way to being tortured...could Pat's turn at the wheel of the 1984 Subaru Brat be coming up?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2005, 12:06:49 am
A natto-only diet?  That's an even scarier thought than having Nice Pete hold your neck against the wall.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2005, 01:32:02 am
You know, sometimes Pat makes some good points.

Quote from: "Pat Reynolds"

"Today's perpetrator was someone representing the so-called "Stars and Stripes Committee," a woman in a man's grey suit wearing an offensive American flag-resembling ball cap. I have no idea what this committee represents, other than new lows in women's fashion"

"I opened the door and was immediately confronted by two dumpy old [Jehovah's Witness] women who wanted to talk about "friendship." First I thought Cornelius had had them sent over, since he's probably still secretly steamed about the shooting, but their rap quickly proved to be the straight pointless bullshit."

"If I get stuck in another Toys'R'Us behind a non-English speaking family of eight, or skinny goateed white trash boys with FOX motorcycle sweatshirts and insubstantial brain pans, or women with feathered hair from the 70s who are wearing garish 49ers jerseys and white high-top tennis shoes, I just might decide against shopping at all."
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Beatrice on February 20, 2005, 08:57:52 pm
Perhaps Pat is Onstad's evil alter-ego.  Or maybe just mine.  He says all the things I could only dream of having the cohones to announce.  Sometimes I think Onstad just takes his own observations (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2004/12/social-interaction.html) to that borderline level and then gives them to Pat for a fast ride to the outrageous quadrant.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2005, 03:14:55 am
I demand that Onstad draw Beef dressed as a Mountie. I'm giddy just thinking about it.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Beatrice on February 21, 2005, 03:54:03 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I demand that Onstad draw Beef dressed as a Mountie. I'm giddy just thinking about it.


Beef should get high again and think he's Canadian.  REally, Beef smoking pot was one of my favorite things, but he had to be all "Death Is My Anti-Drug" and so I think he's not going back... le sigh.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Mantonio on February 21, 2005, 04:00:21 am
Little Nephew, boy geeeenius.

Not.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2005, 06:11:30 am
Quote from: "Beatrice"
Perhaps Pat is Onstad's evil alter-ego.  Or maybe just mine.  He says all the things I could only dream of having the cohones to announce.  Sometimes I think Onstad just takes his own observations (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2004/12/social-interaction.html) to that borderline level and then gives them to Pat for a fast ride to the outrageous quadrant.


Basically, all the characters are representations of Onstad's three major personality traits on a tri-axis represenation. using trinary representation we come up with (values here are 0,1,2 for none, some, and lots respectively):

for axes niceness, obnoxiousness, destructiveness

blister:     0,0,0   # barely a presence
charley:     0,2,1   # obnoxious, but only mildly harmful
cornelius:   2,0,0   # a good guy with poise and courtesy
molly:       0,1,0   # bit of a bitch, whines a lot but doesn't break shit
pat:         0,2,0   # total ass, but won't break the law, just is obnoxious
pete:        1,0,2   # nice enough, but will kill you
phillipe:    2,0,1   # very nice, but often causes mild hijinks on the order of spilling things
ray:         1,1,1   # a little obnoxious and troublesome but well meaning, kind of the litmus we vary against
roast beef:  1,0,0   # a nice guy, not perfect, but too chickenshit to cause trouble with his pent up anger
teodor:      1,0,1   # a nice guy, but a little more adventuresome (i.e. will cavort with porn stars)
todd:        0,2,2   # totally unlikeable, obnoxious and troublesome
--------------------
total:       8,8,8


THE TOTAL IS ALWAYS EIGHT IN EACH COLUMN

If you added a 'success' column it too would add to eight.

and no, Molly isn't nice, she's a bitch.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 21, 2005, 06:28:52 am
Mad Mr. Isosceles applies the science.

Clearly this thread is now about EDUCATION.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: St_Zartan on February 21, 2005, 07:24:30 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
and no, Molly isn't nice, she's a bitch.


Perhaps this was completely fuck*ng cowardly of me, but I was waiting for someone else to make this seemingly extremely unpopular observation so I could, basically, read it and then chuck in a "me-too" almost exactly like the paragraph you're reading now. "Bronco", Molly? Could we be any more of a precious, self-consciously indie chick as to pick some random word with vaguely kitschy / sincere resonance to begin your dumb fuck*ng blog entry? So right on, sir:

 # IN THE MIDDLE OF BURRITOS
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2005, 09:43:37 am
So we've turned on Molly eh?

~Paul
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2005, 01:35:37 pm
Holy #####in' robots. I can't believe I wrote that last night. I blame lack of sleep and a beef stupor. I think the end result was to somehow prove that if you were to do a bitwise OR of all the personality traits of all the characters it would somehow end up as Onstad. Then I got obsessed with the number eight because I was imagining,somehow, a hypercube of Achewood.

Don't blame me, I went to an awesome pit BBQ in Maryland as is tradition for my circle of friends and was in a beef-induced dementia for the rest of the day.


This is how we know Hinduism is wrong, people.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Gimpson on February 21, 2005, 03:07:50 pm
Chapter 14 of Nice Pete's novel claims it was posted on Christmas Eve last year, but today is the first time I've seen it.  

Say what you will about Nice Pete, he does get one thing right:

Acid is an extremely unpredictable drug.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 21, 2005, 03:34:55 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Don't blame me, I went to an awesome pit BBQ in Maryland as is tradition for my circle of friends and was in a beef-induced dementia for the rest of the day.


This is how we know Hinduism is wrong, people.


...I thought the Hindu make it a point not to eat beef?  It seems Hinduism could have saved you.

Here comes the science.

P.S. Yeah Molly is a bitch people let's just accept it.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2005, 03:44:23 pm
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Don't blame me, I went to an awesome pit BBQ in Maryland as is tradition for my circle of friends and was in a beef-induced dementia for the rest of the day.


This is how we know Hinduism is wrong, people.


...I thought the Hindu make it a point not to eat beef?  It seems Hinduism could have saved you.


If eating beef is wrong then I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT.

And if you're from Annapolis then you should know that two, rare, bloody pit beefs from the Canopy with everything on it is nothing short of AWESOME.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 21, 2005, 04:01:00 pm
No idea what you mean, but I've only lived here like 5 months, and I don't have a car or anything so I guess it's not surprising.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2005, 04:06:17 pm
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.


BRILLIANT!
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2005, 04:06:59 pm
Quote from: "Max"
No idea what you mean, but I've only lived here like 5 months, and I don't have a car or anything so I guess it's not surprising.


That's it. There will be a Spring Achewood Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area "Roast Beef and Roast Beef" meetup next month. Please let me know your availability, peoples.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2005, 05:20:50 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.

BRILLIANT!

I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 21, 2005, 05:22:15 pm
I only want to get together with attractive people.  Sorry!
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2005, 05:30:01 pm
Quote from: "Max"
I only want to get together with attractive people.  Sorry!


Tough shit. You have to deal with carlosdelvaca JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Beatrice on February 21, 2005, 06:39:19 pm
Wait, we weren't supposed to dislike Molly?  Because she bothers me, and should have stayed dead.  THanks.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 21, 2005, 07:24:36 pm
Yeah, I'm too educated stupid; I can't entirely comprehend Onstadcube. Maybe beef will help.

That said, I'm totally going to try to use "holy #####in' robots" in a real-life conversation now.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Skillator on February 21, 2005, 11:09:02 pm
I love that Ray lost the Sugar Loadzz demo and since they can't afford to make another one he'll just sign them and hope for the best.
This has repeatedly made me laugh today.
That's probably how a lot of artists got into the mainstream...
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 21, 2005, 11:52:18 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
I love that Ray lost the Sugar Loadzz demo and since they can't afford to make another one he'll just sign them and hope for the best.
This has repeatedly made me laugh today.
That's probably how a lot of artists got into the mainstream...


I dunno Ray...I think Heartbeatzz might be a better choice. HE CREATES RHYMES FOR THE CHILDREN.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: MattFish on February 22, 2005, 02:33:53 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>


how on earth....
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2005, 03:32:39 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Tough shit. You have to deal with carlosdelvaca JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.


Oh snap!  What did I do to you, man?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 22, 2005, 04:38:16 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Tough shit. You have to deal with carlosdelvaca JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.


Oh snap!  What did I do to you, man?



I just picked a name out of the air.

But, now that I think about it, your avatar is a cow and -- as stated earlier -- I have an avowed hatred for beef in any of its living forms.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Beatrice on February 23, 2005, 01:02:07 am
What has HAPPENED to LYLE!?

Quote
back to the old same ol kitchen grind. got a line of joints over on delaware i ain't pssed off yet an don't know me . i'll sell the gonzo cams and title license s and get a bankroll to go on. fuck'em anyways

shit got to run HST just lit his own cigar ands wer' sognna fire a few off in the woods innis honor. etc


He's de-evolved on the Whiskey?

I just read everything with a Scottish accent now...




fuck you on a lovely quiet whatever,
Anna
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Beatrice on February 23, 2005, 01:46:39 pm
nevermind i think he's just drunk. yes?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 23, 2005, 03:34:13 pm
Quote from: "Beatrice"
nevermind i think he's just drunk. yes?


With Lyle, this should always be assumed as true.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 25, 2005, 01:17:17 pm
I guess Pat's not one for the mashup genre, then.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 25, 2005, 01:36:40 pm
I know he's supposed to be a dick, but I agree with Pat about the teenager thing. Teenagers are ridiculous.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Gimpson on February 25, 2005, 02:11:02 pm
So did Teodor like Garden State or not?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 25, 2005, 02:19:04 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I guess Pat's not one for the mashup genre, then.

That Green Day vs. Oasis one that's been overplayed for the past couple months wasn't bad. But I don't really "get" the Grey Album.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 25, 2005, 02:25:48 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
So did Teodor like Garden State or not?


I like to call Garden State "Zack Braff's Face: The Movie".
You will note this means I thought the movie was bad.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Emergent_C on February 25, 2005, 04:27:57 pm
Ooooo...Ray's "making bread" with some artsy chick. If this doesn't make it into the comic, I'm going to be very disappointed. Very disappointed indeed.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 25, 2005, 05:10:12 pm
Can Ray ever go into a retail establishment without picking some girl up? Damn.

And can somebody explain to me what is the deal with the Escalade? Also, the Humvee?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 25, 2005, 06:40:25 pm
sorry bobby, but annapolis is only good for sea food, and barely even then. it mostly sucks. there's a good college there and some decent sushi, but annapolis for food isn't the way to go. go to rockville. it's a long drive, but worth it.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 25, 2005, 07:13:28 pm
I, too, hate it when teenagers run out of money in front of me in line. This is sort of why I don't go to my college's snack bar anymore.

oh my god I share an opinion with Pat
time for the seppuku
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 25, 2005, 07:15:42 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
sorry bobby, but annapolis is only good for sea food, and barely even then. it mostly sucks. there's a good college there and some decent sushi, but annapolis for food isn't the way to go. go to rockville. it's a long drive, but worth it.


What the hell are you talking about?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: arkabee on February 25, 2005, 08:44:26 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
sorry bobby, but annapolis is only good for sea food, and barely even then. it mostly sucks. there's a good college there and some decent sushi, but annapolis for food isn't the way to go. go to rockville. it's a long drive, but worth it.


What the hell are you talking about?


"Don't go back to rockville,
And waste another year "
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 26, 2005, 12:35:11 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
sorry bobby, but annapolis is only good for sea food, and barely even then. it mostly sucks. there's a good college there and some decent sushi, but annapolis for food isn't the way to go. go to rockville. it's a long drive, but worth it.


What the hell are you talking about?


He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 26, 2005, 12:51:13 am
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
sorry bobby, but annapolis is only good for sea food, and barely even then. it mostly sucks. there's a good college there and some decent sushi, but annapolis for food isn't the way to go. go to rockville. it's a long drive, but worth it.


What the hell are you talking about?


He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.


But who suggested going to annapolis? Not I. I suggested a meetup closer to DC (which, I may add, would be closer to Rockville) for the purpose of barbeque. I give a shit about Annapolis (although I have a nasty habit of sleeping with loonies from St. John's, which I am beginning to suspect is less a university and more an insane asylum)
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 26, 2005, 06:37:29 am
that is correct
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Doc on February 26, 2005, 09:10:06 am
It's nice to see some new chapters from nice pete, I thought after Todd dissed him he'd decided to stop writing or something.

Molly is very tricky for me, I haven't really liked her since the 'thats why women are good for men' line, but at the same time she was pretty sympathetic through all the gramma k stuff.

Does anyone else think Beef is slowly getting crazier? Or is it just that Onstad is just making us more aware of it and he's been like this all along.

Its funny really, Beef does just as much whiny crap as Molly, but we don't hold it against him. Maybe its because he doesn't expect any sympathy from a cold heartless world.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 26, 2005, 04:54:29 pm
Quote from: "Doc"
Does anyone else think Beef is slowly getting crazier? Or is it just that Onstad is just making us more aware of it and he's been like this all along.

I dunno, once a guy buries a shirt (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004) there's really not much further he can go, craziness-wise.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2005, 02:37:34 pm
The Oscars were last night?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: MaxAce on February 28, 2005, 03:59:57 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Max"
He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.
But who suggested going to annapolis? Not I. I suggested a meetup closer to DC (which, I may add, would be closer to Rockville) for the purpose of barbeque. I give a shit about Annapolis (although I have a nasty habit of sleeping with loonies from St. John's, which I am beginning to suspect is less a university and more an insane asylum)


Is St. John's a good college? I got a thing from them in the mail. I am trying to decide which college to attend.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 04:09:22 pm
Quote from: "MaxAce"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Max"
He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.
But who suggested going to annapolis? Not I. I suggested a meetup closer to DC (which, I may add, would be closer to Rockville) for the purpose of barbeque. I give a shit about Annapolis (although I have a nasty habit of sleeping with loonies from St. John's, which I am beginning to suspect is less a university and more an insane asylum)


Is St. John's a good college? I got a thing from them in the mail. I am trying to decide which college to attend.


Statistically speaking, of the three people from there I've met, all are clinically insane. Enjoy!
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2005, 04:18:15 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "MaxAce"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Max"
He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.
But who suggested going to annapolis? Not I. I suggested a meetup closer to DC (which, I may add, would be closer to Rockville) for the purpose of barbeque. I give a shit about Annapolis (although I have a nasty habit of sleeping with loonies from St. John's, which I am beginning to suspect is less a university and more an insane asylum)


Is St. John's a good college? I got a thing from them in the mail. I am trying to decide which college to attend.


Statistically speaking, of the three people from there I've met, all are clinically insane. Enjoy!


Yes Bobby, but isn't everybody you meet at your uh, institution clinically insane?
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: MSC on February 28, 2005, 06:30:21 pm
It is not very well known that P.T. Barnum strongly felt that a traditional clown cold eats a peter.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 06:38:00 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "MaxAce"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Max"
He is talking about my college.  And the town that I live in.
But who suggested going to annapolis? Not I. I suggested a meetup closer to DC (which, I may add, would be closer to Rockville) for the purpose of barbeque. I give a shit about Annapolis (although I have a nasty habit of sleeping with loonies from St. John's, which I am beginning to suspect is less a university and more an insane asylum)


Is St. John's a good college? I got a thing from them in the mail. I am trying to decide which college to attend.


Statistically speaking, of the three people from there I've met, all are clinically insane. Enjoy!


Yes Bobby, but isn't everybody you meet at your uh, institution clinically insane?


I'm so normal and boring you'd be amazed.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bozack on February 28, 2005, 06:46:22 pm
From the people I have met, it seems that St. Johns is a good place to go to if you want to work out a cohesive philosophy for life. However, if you want to get a job.......not as good.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Silverberg on February 28, 2005, 06:53:06 pm
People who go to college to get a job are silly. Theater/English double major, baby.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Max on February 28, 2005, 07:18:09 pm
it is, in fact, true that everyone at st. john's is crazy.  but they're all different crazy.  this is hard to explain, but sort of imagine that a huge invisible hand went all around the country to different types of groups of friends - jocks and religious people and achewood readers and stoners and nerds etc. - and picked out the single weirdest kid from each group.  that is what st. john's is, basically.  so, in other words, the curriculum is awesome and i love it; but the kids are either a lot of fun or unbelievably annoying, depending on the day.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2005, 07:47:11 pm
Quote from: "Silverberg"
People who go to college to get a job are silly. Theater/English double major, baby.

Represent. My majors (Japanese/Biology/Neuroscience) are a little more employable, but only a little. I've never really grokked people who treat college as if it's a four-year Employable Individual Factory; I can understand the attitude coming out of people who are really just taking classes for professional advancement, but when it's people my age, it sort of saddens me.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Bozack on February 28, 2005, 09:50:46 pm
I guess I'm not really in classes to learn job skills, because god knows I'm not doing that. I'm just using college to try and figure out what I like to do. Maybe by the end of the 4 years I'll know what I want to go to college and learn to do!
So far, I like playing guitar.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: andalucia on February 28, 2005, 10:28:35 pm
Quote from: "The site for my program"
The Cultural Studies option concentrates on analysis of forms of cultural expression and symbolic interaction, and of the various media through which these may be disseminated and transformed. Such study concerns symbolic form, aesthetically based forms of analysis, and the various modes of criticism and theory relevant to media which contain both verbal and non-verbal elements. The aim is above all to hone students' analytical and interpretive skills while introducing them to specific critical approaches to cultural studies. This is not a major in journalism or communications; and while many of our graduates go on to do creative work in a variety of media, instruction in film and video production is not part of the curriculum.


I won't pretend I don't occasionally wonder why I'm doing this.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Silverberg on February 28, 2005, 11:47:54 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Try an' eat the ivory off that tower sometime, it'll cold chip your teeth all to hell and you won't be able to afford a dentist to fix your hella crazy grill.  College is all 'bout learning to shrug off the dirty hippie in us all.

Indulge him and loan 'im the futon occaisionally, but soon he's gotta go to the Y.

the word we're looking for here is balance.  have some fun in school but be prepared to kick the real world in the nuts before it gets yours.


*Large shrug.*

For mine own part, it's the English half of my - prospective, as I'm only a Freshman - major that's ivory towerish. I just love books and stuff. As for theater, I want to be an actor, and say what you will about the profession, but the study of it does prepare a person for a legitimate and applicable trade, y'know? Moreso than... well, that Cultural Studies thing, for all that it sounds kinda cool.

Besides, I'm a damn good thespian. I would take Sir Anthony Hopkins to school in the car of pain.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: robot_roll_call on March 01, 2005, 12:45:56 am
Quote from: "Silverberg"

 say what you will about the profession, but the study of it does prepare a person for a legitimate and applicable trade, y'know?

pffffft

Quote
Besides, I'm a damn good thespian. I would take Sir Anthony Hopkins to school in the car of pain.

PFFFFFFFFT
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2005, 02:30:00 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Try an' eat the ivory off that tower sometime, it'll cold chip your teeth all to hell and you won't be able to afford a dentist to fix your hella crazy grill.  College is all 'bout learning to shrug off the dirty hippie in us all.

Indulge him and loan 'im the futon occaisionally, but soon he's gotta go to the Y.

the word we're looking for here is balance.  have some fun in school but be prepared to kick the real world in the nuts before it gets yours.

Man, I never said that I was totally going to go rent a garret in New York and starve to death. I fully expect to go to graduate school and then get employed in developmental neuroscience, hopefully actually making cash money to be exchanged for goods and services. I'm just saying that I don't get the people I knew in high school who were just like "ho hum, I'll sit around for four years and then I'll be employable." (It doesn't help that most of them decided that they'd rather watch anime or smoke dope than go to class, and as a result most of them aren't in school anymore.)
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Mantonio on March 01, 2005, 04:34:48 am
I bet Aaaaarthur threw a way cooler Oscar party than Pat did.
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: AugustWest on March 01, 2005, 06:11:47 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Try an' eat the ivory off that tower sometime, it'll cold chip your teeth all to hell and you won't be able to afford a dentist to fix your hella crazy grill.  College is all 'bout learning to shrug off the dirty hippie in us all.

Indulge him and loan 'im the futon occaisionally, but soon he's gotta go to the Y.

the word we're looking for here is balance.  have some fun in school but be prepared to kick the real world in the nuts before it gets yours.

Man, I never said that I was totally going to go rent a garret in New York and starve to death. I fully expect to go to graduate school and then get employed in developmental neuroscience, hopefully actually making cash money to be exchanged for goods and services. I'm just saying that I don't get the people I knew in high school who were just like "ho hum, I'll sit around for four years and then I'll be employable." (It doesn't help that most of them decided that they'd rather watch anime or smoke dope than go to class, and as a result most of them aren't in school anymore.)


Ash, V!

Calm yourselves, please.  Allow me to assume my usual professional role of mediator and voice of calm reason (riiiiight).  Ash is much closer to my generation.  V you are not.  Things have changed a little since our day.

Our plan = liberal arts + something kinda career related = undergrad degree.

Your plan = liberal arts undergrad + career related grad degree = happy joy time.

I think what's changed is the necessity for a graduate degree.  Whereas we felt comfortable cramming some greedy practical training into our first four years, nowadays four years post-prom isn't quite as highly respectable as it used to be.  So, if you have to get a graduate degree anyway, why not postpone the unpleasantness of moneygrubbing indoctrination as long as possible?

Personally, I spent 3 years as a philosophy major, then 2 years as a journalism major w/ a philosophy minor.  Then I got my law degree (which can alternatively be viewed as selling my soul to Satan or as 3 years of studying advanced logic and applied anthropology.)

Anyhooo... the point of this blathering is that 20 years ago it was more necessary to obtain some level of career education as an undergrad because fewer students found it necessary to grad school.  Of course, all of the clever, smart and handsome ones did...
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 01, 2005, 03:16:50 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Oscars were last night?


(http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050228/capt.kdk30702280459.oscars_kdk307.jpg)

Oscar presenter Tim Robbins makes a gesture toward host Chris Rock, after Rock's comments about his politics
during the 77th Academy Awards Sunday, Feb. 27, 2005, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
Title: The Bloggening - end of Februaryish
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2005, 03:48:01 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Our plan = liberal arts + something kinda career related = undergrad degree.

Your plan = liberal arts undergrad + career related grad degree = happy joy time.

I think what's changed is the necessity for a graduate degree.  Whereas we felt comfortable cramming some greedy practical training into our first four years, nowadays four years post-prom isn't quite as highly respectable as it used to be.  So, if you have to get a graduate degree anyway, why not postpone the unpleasantness of moneygrubbing indoctrination as long as possible?

Very fair point. I would agree with you that there seems to be much more of an aura of necessity over graduate school; my main experience was in the sciences, where every advising session involved the phrase "you'll need it for grad school" and the entire curriculum is based on the assumption that all biology majors will go get the M.D. or Ph.D. ASAP, but it seems to be the case in other disciplines, too. I'm not sure whether that is a bad thing or not.

That said, I should probably clarify my initial statements. I don't have a problem with going to undergrad with the expectation of developing job skills; hell, some of my best friends expect to get jobs based on their B.A.s. (Some of them may even be right.) Majoring in Art History because you want to be a museum curator is as noble as majoring in Art History for the depth, man. What I object to is the mentality that all college is is a factory where you walk in a valedictorian and four years later emerge a Young Professional -- treating these four years as a "diploma mill," when they should in fact be treated as the new American adolescence. But that's another rant, really...