The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on February 21, 2005, 06:03:31 pm

Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2005, 06:03:31 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.

BRILLIANT!

I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>


I'm sorry, but I have difficulty believing that.  That's kind of like saying you've never seen a McDonalds.  Freebird and Stairway to Heaven are the ubiquitous classic rock songs.  I mean, DUDE!
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2005, 06:08:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.

BRILLIANT!

I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>

I'm sorry, but I have difficulty believing that.  That's kind of like saying you've never seen a McDonalds.  Freebird and Stairway to Heaven are the ubiquitous classic rock songs.  I mean, DUDE!

I may have heard segments but never when it was identified. I'd say 80% of my exposure to classic rock has been snippets in TV commercials so I couldn't tell you what the song or band was.

I've also only heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the Simpsons when Bart sneaks it into the hymns.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: miles on February 21, 2005, 07:58:44 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>


Count yourself lucky.  Though I also find it a bit hard to believe.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 21, 2005, 08:21:51 pm
I have never heard Freebird either. But one time I was walking down the street and some guy his porch with a guitar asked for a request and I said "FREEBIRD!" just because it's such a cliche.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: V-Adore on February 21, 2005, 09:37:15 pm
The saddest thing: Lynyrd Skynyrd (or what's left of it, anyway) playing the Grammies, pausing for a final request, and nobody in the house yelling "FREEBIRD." Clearly kids these days just aren't getting raised right.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Skillator on February 21, 2005, 09:39:14 pm
Freebird is supposed to have the greatest guitar solo of all time. It goes on for a ridiculously long time and the first verse is totally unnecessary.
It actually sounds to me like it's a duet. Which makes it way less awesome. Two guys doin that is lame.
It's not a terrible song but it's way, way over-hyped. I feel the same way about stairway.
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.

There's my contribution.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: V-Adore on February 21, 2005, 09:45:07 pm
There. Pruned from the blog thread and freed to run and play in its natural habitat. Be free, Freebird thread! Be free!
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: slink on February 21, 2005, 10:24:44 pm
I hadn't heard Freebird, and realised that's what I was hearing, until playing San Andreas. I guess living in the UK may have had something to do with that though.

I have a soft spot for it though. And I wouldn't call it the greatest solo of all time. Certainly one of the most unlearnable.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2005, 12:06:03 am
Quote from: "Skillator"
It actually sounds to me like it's a duet. Which makes it way less awesome. Two guys doin that is lame.


Actually it's a trio of guitars.  How that makes it less awesome or lame I can't figure.

Freebird!!!

~Paul
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: jough on February 22, 2005, 05:07:38 am
It's Free fuck*ng BIRD.  The solo isn't the most technically adept but it is filled with ROCK AND ROLL PASSION.

I even listen to the slow chorus parts too.  It's a classic.

Philistines.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Limmo on February 22, 2005, 03:47:39 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.


I'd admit it. And the rest of the song is mega-awesome too.

"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2005, 04:13:29 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.


The greatest guitar solo of all time is on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

~Paul
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: slink on February 22, 2005, 04:48:36 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

The greatest guitar solo of all time is on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.


Ow!

Greatest solo... I'd be tempted to pick the one from 'I Wanna Make it Wit'chu' off of the last Desert Sessions. Such a playful little solo. So good live too.

That or at the moment something off of Frances the Mute, but there's so much random guitar there I wouldn't know where to begin.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Null on February 22, 2005, 05:49:59 pm
For greatest guitar solo, I'd pick Robert Fripp on Eno's "Baby's on Fire."  Even though he was probably making that "hardest chord possible" expression the whole time, it's still quite sharp.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Limmo on February 22, 2005, 08:51:55 pm
Quote from: "Null"
For greatest guitar solo, I'd pick Robert Fripp on Eno's "Baby's on Fire."


Hard to fault that one either.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: miles on February 22, 2005, 11:37:00 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.


I'd admit it. And the rest of the song is mega-awesome too.

"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.


Eddie Hazel is God.  God is dead.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: miles on February 23, 2005, 01:16:36 am
Anyone care to play favorite guitarists?

Eddie Hazel
Jimi Hendrix
Doug Martsch
Duane Denison

In no particular order.  The holy trinity plus one.  Thing about Hazel is I don't have too much of his work (well, none of his solo stuff) but what I do have is amazing (Maggot Brain alone gets him a spot).

And then the rest:

Pixies
Fugazi
Johnny Marr
Jimmy Page
Mike Bloomfield (mainly for his work on Highway 61 Revisited)

You know, I suck at lists.

But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?  It's not just technique, of course.  I mean, that Swedish dude wouldn't even make honorable mention for me, even though he has good technique.  But it's not just songwriting, either, I guess.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: andalucia on February 23, 2005, 01:45:09 am
Quote from: "miles"
Anyone care to play favorite guitarists?


Yes.  
Off the top of my head, and in no particular order
Ry Cooder
Glenn Branca
Tom Verlaine
Blind Willie McTell
Skip James
Nick Drake

I'm probably forgetting lots and lots of people.  But those dudes are definitely Important.


Quote from: "miles"
But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?  It's not just technique, of course.  I mean, that Swedish dude wouldn't even make honorable mention for me, even though he has good technique.  But it's not just songwriting, either, I guess.


Man, Yngwie is disqualified from any such list for the sheer idiocy of including vocals in his songs.  That is the thing that always mystified me about Dream Theater, why they would bother with the wordy stuff.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: slink on February 23, 2005, 01:45:09 am
Quote from: "miles"


But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?


Certainly I have a list of different favourites.
Zappa for me when it comes to technique. Hendrix for pure guitar wanking alien excellence. Josh Hommes for his deserty vibes. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez for pure off the wall insanity, that somehow works so perfectly.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: St_Zartan on February 23, 2005, 05:26:32 am
I think we're getting off-track: has CJ played San Andreas yet or what?
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: miles on February 23, 2005, 06:46:27 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Tom Verlaine


Good call.

And sorry, St_Zartan, sir.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2005, 02:33:55 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I think we're getting off-track: has CJ played San Andreas yet or what?

Nope. I think I saw a guy play GTA 1 in college once, but that's about it.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Skillator on February 23, 2005, 06:30:18 pm
Nobody automatically lists Eric Clapton?

But this thread has made me realize that I need to go out and buy a whole lot of cd's so I know who you're talking about.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: slink on February 23, 2005, 09:10:39 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody automatically lists Eric Clapton?


I've had the Clapton discussion with a guy I know who really likes him. I don't. Maybe back in the Cream days, but I just don't like the sound he went for thereafter.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Max on February 23, 2005, 09:21:33 pm
that's always the dilemma with these discussions.  in terms of technical ability, clapton is a fuck*ng wizard.  but, even though what he's playing is hard, is it that good?

personally, i think joe santiago from the pixies could do more with one note than clapton could do with a hundred.  but that's just me.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2005, 09:30:17 pm
Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Limmo on February 25, 2005, 06:52:30 am
I saw Frank Black and the Catholics after their first album came out.  The guitarist, Lyle Workman, was an absolutely astounding player, the kind of player I hope to someday be.  And yet, after I left, I found myself thinking that Joey Santiago was a better guitarist for Frank Black, even though his playing style consists almost exclusively of mistakes.

Anyway, rather than bore you with my Top Fifty Guitarists List, I'll just leave you with five relatively obscure players I think deserve your attention:

Steve Tibbetts
Bill Connors
Shawn Lane
Bill Nelson
James Honeyman-Scott

and if you wind up getting an album with Charlie Christian on it, your overall quality of life will improve.
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: miles on February 25, 2005, 07:10:38 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."


Yeah, but, what would the devil do with it?

But, I do like Cream, and didn't he play the lead on While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
Title: FREEBIRD!!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 25, 2005, 05:34:00 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."


Yeah, but, what would the devil do with it?


Ask  this guy (http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/Johnson.html).