The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Formica on February 22, 2005, 09:31:23 pm

Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Formica on February 22, 2005, 09:31:23 pm
Eh, a one-off strip. I wonder who set up Ray's webcam, or if he paid the crew of G4TechTV a half mil to come out and do it for him.

If anyone else thinks there's a better line for the subject title, feel free. I just liked the way this one sounded.

edited to add date to subject
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: CortJstr on February 22, 2005, 09:43:43 pm
But now we'll never now what Teodor wanted!

Or who put the hair in Ray's nachos!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: V-Adore on February 22, 2005, 09:47:57 pm
I find the actual punchline of this strip -- that people on the Internet have Depression -- much less funny than the setup and semi-punchline, which is all these guys dressing up in huge, elaborately weird clothes to go play strip poker on the Internet. I mean, Ray's putting on the Ritz enough as is, but a jester hat? A Victorian diving apparatus? Words fail.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: jough on February 22, 2005, 09:51:31 pm
The panels look too large.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Beatrice on February 22, 2005, 09:59:56 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I find the actual punchline of this strip -- that people on the Internet have Depression -- much less funny than the setup and semi-punchline, which is all these guys dressing up in huge, elaborately weird clothes to go play strip poker on the Internet. I mean, Ray's putting on the Ritz enough as is, but a jester hat? A Victorian diving apparatus? Words fail.


I, too, prefer the pre-punchline humor.  But then, that happens often with Achewood, and it ain't a bad thing.  It's like premature ejaculation, climax in the middle perhaps, but we can all laugh at that, right Bozack?
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: MSC on February 22, 2005, 10:02:08 pm
I like the picture of the web cam.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bozack on February 22, 2005, 10:28:21 pm
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)

Beyond that, I'm pretty cool with todays strip. The funniest part for me was definitely everyone getting dressed up to play strip poker over the internet.
Title: heh
Post by: Nice Dave on February 22, 2005, 10:29:44 pm
This (well, this especially, but the last few as well) have been classic Achewood for me. It's funny, and then when you get to the punchline (the funny part) there's something else there. Funny, but also scary or depressing, possibly one quality because of the other.  Classic "glass eye in the gumball machine" sorta stuff. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.

Honestly, though, if you don't find the punchline funny (or disturbingly familiar), you haven't spent enough time meeting people in the context of trying to play an online game. Sometimes you get a nice round of checkers, but more often you get a larger than recommended dose of the personal life of somebody who only socializes via internet checkers (while wearing a brass diving helmet).

It's a little better with more complicated games... The people there have invested a lot in the ability to beat up imaginary monsters for their lunch money or what have you, and are more likely to actually go about doing that, but often you still learn something about someone that you'd rather you hadn't. It is sometimes like overhearing the locker room conversations of people who are afraid to leave their houses, with orcs and a Howard Shore soundtrack.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Beatrice on February 22, 2005, 10:31:07 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)

Beyond that, I'm pretty cool with todays strip. The funniest part for me was definitely everyone getting dressed up to play strip poker over the internet.


haaha.

okay sorry, at least once i though i should justify the introduction. But, it ain't no good if i have to invent the insults.  and you didn't even make a return jab!  no FUN!
Title: Re: heh
Post by: Beatrice on February 22, 2005, 10:40:49 pm
Quote from: "Nice Dave"
This (well, this especially, but the last few as well) have been classic Achewood for me. It's funny, and then when you get to the punchline (the funny part) there's something else there. Funny, but also scary or depressing, possibly one quality because of the other.  Classic "glass eye in the gumball machine" sorta stuff. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.


Yeah, even "Ray high as Jesus" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01272005) strips have:

"What is it like to see someone die? I wonder if my mom knows..."

And that's what I like.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: sasquatch feeder on February 23, 2005, 12:32:06 am
More classic Achewood: Teodor's eyebrows in the fourth panel. I think Onstad could sleepwalk (sleepdraw?) through a strip and I'd still laugh, but the subtle expressions really get me.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 23, 2005, 01:12:44 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)


Repeat after me, Bozack.

"This is why we kill them when we're done with them."

Remember: Nothing says loving like hookers getting bludgeoned.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: slink on February 23, 2005, 01:49:07 am
I liked it. It's almost the priest hotline from Father Ted, only with a tighter grasp. The only people who end up going there are the really sad ones, and they all end up getting on instead of being disgusted and leaving.
Did it for me anyway...
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: yahnai on February 23, 2005, 06:11:52 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)


Repeat after me, Bozack.

"This is why we kill them when we're done with them."

Remember: Nothing says loving like hookers getting bludgeoned.


Are you doin' ok, man?  Your mom doesn't have MS or anything, does she?  You've been getting less funny and more creepy lately.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: St_Zartan on February 23, 2005, 06:17:23 am
Quote from: "yahnai"
Are you doin' ok, man?  Your mom doesn't have MS or anything, does she?  You've been getting less funny and more creepy lately.


I am doing the Read-A-Thon for his mom. She is like ten Encyclopedia Browns away from being OK.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: yahnai on February 23, 2005, 06:50:00 am
Dude like posted links to hardcore gay porn with high school sports mascots.  It was weird.  I think he's funny, but what's with the weird sexual thing going on?  Video game characters humping, a sig pic from an old Playboy, gay porn, bludgeoning whores?  Dude..?  Where's your old sense of humor?  Are you bitter that Onstad called you Joey Quadrangle or whatever the hell it was that one time?
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: St_Zartan on February 23, 2005, 07:01:20 am
Quote from: "yahnai"
I think he's funny, but what's with the weird sexual thing going on?  Video game characters humping...


I, too, miss the smiling dude with the big knife.

I know that sounds sarcastic, but no, seriously, that avatar was pretty much perfect. This new avatar - and Bobby, really, you needed to hear it from a friend - is pretty much HEY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS HILARIOUS SITE CALLED EBAUMSWORLD??? CUSSING GIJOES AND WHAT IF ATARI SMOKED WEED
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bozack on February 23, 2005, 07:06:39 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
HEY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS HILARIOUS SITE CALLED EBAUMSWORLD??? CUSSING GIJOES AND WHAT IF ATARI SMOKED WEED


JEFF NINTENDO IS TOTALLY ABOUT WEED (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/pictures/nintendope.png)
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 23, 2005, 07:07:53 am
Quote
HEY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS HILARIOUS SITE CALLED EBAUMSWORLD??? CUSSING GIJOES AND WHAT IF ATARI SMOKED WEED


OH MAN I LOVE EBAUMS WORLD THEY HAD THIS AWESOME VIDEO WHERE A GUY TOTALLY GOT HIT IN THE NUTS!

I hate Ebaumsworld and the like. I find them to be more depressing than the people Ray is playing poker with today.  I'd rather talk to a suicidal guy with a diving apparatus than watch some video where they edited it so Optimus Prime is giving Megatron the finger (LOL!).
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bozack on February 23, 2005, 07:13:25 am
Actually, in regards to the whole ebaumsworld sense of humor, who remembers the Underground Tape Railroad, from Mr. Show?

Quote from: "some chode"

You guys are not going to believe this tape I just got! It's a guy, who falls out of an airplane, and lands on two elephants WHO ARE fuck*ng!


Quote from: "some other chode"
They're not really fuck*ng.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: St_Zartan on February 23, 2005, 07:18:22 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Actually, in regards to the whole ebaumsworld sense of humor, who remembers the Underground Tape Railroad, from Mr. Show?


You're talking to someone whose best friend gave him a homemade Crime Stick.

It is especially good for dealing with goofs, birdbrains, nogoodniks, and...

DING-A-LINGS
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 23, 2005, 07:52:58 am
Is that anything like the Poo-Stick from the Upright Citizens Brigade.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 23, 2005, 01:37:40 pm
Quote from: "yahnai"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092004)


Repeat after me, Bozack.

"This is why we kill them when we're done with them."

Remember: Nothing says loving like hookers getting bludgeoned.


Are you doin' ok, man?  Your mom doesn't have MS or anything, does she?  You've been getting less funny and more creepy lately.


Lupus, actually, but that's nothing new.  

As for the less funny and more creepy, laugh or else.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Bozack on February 23, 2005, 05:01:23 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
It is especially good for dealing with goofs, birdbrains, nogoodniks, and...

DING-A-LINGS


NOW WHO WANTS ICE CREAM?
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 23, 2005, 08:27:16 pm
i definitely loved the punchlline as much as the pre-punch
a man in a diving suit raising a gun to his head is not only creepy and hearbreaking
it is also funny
very funny
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: arkabee on February 23, 2005, 11:18:49 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"

a man in a diving suit raising a gun to his head is not only creepy and hearbreaking
it is also funny
very funny


i don't think that's funny.

what i think is funny, is that he then lowers the gun, and,

after awhile, does it all again.
Title: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on February 23, 2005, 11:52:04 pm
that is funny too