The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on February 24, 2005, 10:10:39 am

Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 24, 2005, 10:10:39 am
And by "available" I mean that I will disallow offsite avatars by the end of next week, so upload yours if you want to use it.

How to do this?

Log in, click on "Profile" at the top of the page, and at the bottom browse to a file on your hard drive where you can upload an avatar.

EDIT: OR you may also just put the URL you're already using for your avatar in the appropriate box and it will be copied here automagically.

This "feature" will be in effect as long as it's not abused.  This is a first step towards fixing a security hole with people linking scripts to avatars (unfortunately this also means that Choop's nifty avatar-changing script will also no longer work).

Anyway, feel free to upload your avatar.

Your humble host,

-- Jough
Title: Re: Avatar Uploads Now Available
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 24, 2005, 02:26:28 pm
Quote from: "jough"
And by "available" I mean that I will disallow offsite avatars by the end of next week, so upload yours if you want to use it.

How to do this?

Log in, click on "Profile" at the top of the page, and at the bottom browse to a file on your hard drive where you can upload an avatar.

EDIT: OR you may also just put the URL you're already using for your avatar in the appropriate box and it will be copied here automagically.

This "feature" will be in effect as long as it's not abused.  This is a first step towards fixing a security hole with people linking scripts to avatars (unfortunately this also means that Choop's nifty avatar-changing script will also no longer work).

Anyway, feel free to upload your avatar.

Your humble host,

-- Jough


Jough: Just for official reference, what is the ABSOLUTE width limit on avatars?
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2005, 03:03:20 pm
My sig is actually a php script, will it be affected?
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Max on February 24, 2005, 04:01:51 pm
i hope this one is ok.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 24, 2005, 04:38:40 pm
Well, if you looked at your profile you'd see it told you, but I'll post it here anyway.

Size Limit for Avatars
Dimensions: 100x100 pixels
File Size: 6kb

And the limit for .sig files is 255 characters, which doesn't include the script-called material, just the actual text - for now we'll have to moderate out of control sig files manually.

I'll also be bringing some other mods to the table, but not until next week.

Right now security and automation is my biggest concern.  It's one thing to have a rule about avatar size so that someone who finds a funny japanese sex manual can't ruin the forum for everyone, but it's another thing to have a  technological means in place to thwart them adding the large-ass avatar.

Also, I don't know if the script shrinks down an avatar that is too big or if it just returns an error.  I guess I should play with it a little more.  Mod writers aren't big on, you know, documentation.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2005, 04:55:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I don't know if the script shrinks down an avatar that is too big or if it just returns an error.  I guess I should play with it a little more.  Mod writers aren't big on, you know, documentation.

I just tested it with Bobby's sig. It rejects an image over 100x100 or over 6k with an error message at the top of the screen.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: slink on February 24, 2005, 07:15:30 pm
I work on something for a couple of days, drop in and all has gone nuts. That said, saw it coming, so OK.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 24, 2005, 07:34:02 pm
I got no message rejecting larger images, just a failure to upload them, but then again I am a Communist Linux user.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2005, 08:53:56 pm
Quote from: "I"
My sig is actually a php script, will it be affected?

Clearly the answer is yes it will.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 24, 2005, 09:19:24 pm
No changes have been made to how the board handles sig files yet.

So perhaps you messed something up?
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2005, 09:38:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No changes have been made to how the board handles sig files yet.

So perhaps you messed something up?

I didn't change anything, and it works fine in another forum. And I plagiarist.com has always been part of my hotlinking whitelist.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on February 24, 2005, 09:46:38 pm
Hello lovelies! Any tips on a likely hornbag?
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: andalucia on February 25, 2005, 04:48:53 am
avatar smallened.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: V-Adore on February 25, 2005, 04:49:58 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
avatar smallened.

The smallening is sad but also adds mystery. I am ambivalent.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 25, 2005, 04:57:35 am
Jough - Has my user name been changed? It's displaying as "Isoceles' instead of 'Isosceles'.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 25, 2005, 05:13:41 am
Hi Bobby,

Huh.  Maybe I accidentally deleted the S when I was editing your account or something.  

I will fix it.

Also, you are not really banned, in case you were wondering why you could still post and be banned at the same time.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 25, 2005, 05:18:45 am
Quote from: "jough"
Hi Bobby,

Huh.  Maybe I accidentally deleted the S when I was editing your account or something.  

I will fix it.

Also, you are not really banned, in case you were wondering why you could still post and be banned at the same time.


I knew I wasn't banned but it helps to enforce my BAD BOY IMAGE.

I am striking a pose but you cannot see the pose at this juncture.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 25, 2005, 05:24:55 am
Okay, I fix'd your name, Timmy Trapezoid.

And then I called you a girl, chided you for going to my web site and then talking about it on another site, and then kept coming back to pull your pig tails so I could see if you REALLY LIKE ME.

Hey everybody, look at me. I'm Chris Onstad.  I return Wednesday!  Tomorrow, pot roast!
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 25, 2005, 05:55:14 am
Quote from: "jough"
Hey everybody, look at me. I'm Chris Onstad.  I return Wednesday!


(http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/images/wednesday_addams.jpg)

Finally. I had no idea who borrowed her.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 26, 2005, 05:05:18 am
Has everyone done this now?

I may just turn off offsite avatars tomorrow and then answer the hail of complaints as they come in.

Yeah.
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Limmo on February 26, 2005, 05:10:23 am
Hey!
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: V-Adore on February 26, 2005, 06:03:36 am
Hey, it's Limmo! And his pal Foot Foot!

(I got that MP3 forcibly DLed onto my machine by a friend who commandeered the box just long enough to grab it from the Internet and force me to listen to it. God DAMN)
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Limmo on February 27, 2005, 05:23:49 pm
That's a terrific album to have around.  It acts like a musical palate cleanser: no matter what you play afterwards, it will sound awesome after you've been subjected to "I'm So Happy When You're Near" or "My Pal Foot Foot."

I just grabbed the thumbnail off of allmusic.com and uploaded it.  So it's the Shaggs from here on out.
Title: Shaggs Musical
Post by: pmcd9 on February 27, 2005, 05:47:21 pm
They've made a Shagg's Musical (http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/53/theater-mikulan.php) and it got a pretty good review.

~Paul
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: side_show on February 28, 2005, 06:32:20 pm
I am officially a techno-tard.  Help me Jough!
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: jough on February 28, 2005, 06:54:57 pm
Fix'd!
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2005, 10:06:02 pm
I'll deal with this when I please. HA!
Title: Avatars MUST be Uploaded if you want to use one.
Post by: doomglobe on April 02, 2005, 01:46:51 am
everything is terrible.