The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on February 26, 2005, 07:26:11 pm

Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 26, 2005, 07:26:11 pm
Let's see if the humor changes with different timing; every Calvin and Hobbes (http://www1.stfunoob.com/calvin_hobbes/index.htm) comic ever made is online at the aforementioned link. Calvin and Hobbes is a fantastic comic and it's undoubtably an influence on Onstad as well as an entire generation of humorists and humor aficionados.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2005, 07:54:43 pm
Welp, there goes my weekend.  That's a lot of archive to read.

~Paul
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 26, 2005, 08:00:56 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Welp, there goes my weekend.  That's a lot of archive to read.

~Paul


wget -m -np is your friend.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 26, 2005, 08:17:05 pm
Wow, it's great to see ALL of it. I've seen the Ucomics archive before, but that one only lets you look at so many. They just don't make comics like this anymore.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2005, 09:41:26 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
They just don't make comics like this anymore.


Watch it there, Champ.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 26, 2005, 09:49:25 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
They just don't make comics like this anymore.


Watch it there, Champ.


Innocent but trouble-prone five-year-old ? Check.
Stuffed tiger? Check.
And now to kick it up a notch: Whiskey!

*** WELCOME TO ACHEWOOD CA ***
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: slink on February 26, 2005, 11:20:47 pm
Eeeeeeeexcellent...
This shall destroy my social life. A bit more.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: jough on February 27, 2005, 07:16:30 am
I have a PDF file with all of these comics in it.

They are indeed the best damn collection of comic strips ever made.

Achewood can aspire to C&H, but let's have a little perspective.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 27, 2005, 08:10:04 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
They just don't make comics like this anymore.


Watch it there, Champ.


Innocent but trouble-prone five-year-old ? Check.
Stuffed tiger? Check.
And now to kick it up a notch: Whiskey!

*** WELCOME TO ACHEWOOD CA ***


Achewood is my favorite comic still in production hands down. Nothing else comes close. Be that as it may, Calvin and Hobbes has a special place in my heart that no other comic can ever replace. I love Achewood as much as it is legal for a person to love a comic, but I love Calvin and Hobbes even a little more than that.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 27, 2005, 03:01:53 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I have a PDF file with all of these comics in it.

They are indeed the best damn collection of comic strips ever made.

Achewood can aspire to C&H, but let's have a little perspective.


Indeed. Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side were quite possibly two of the best comics ever made.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 27, 2005, 03:02:23 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
They just don't make comics like this anymore.


Watch it there, Champ.


Innocent but trouble-prone five-year-old ? Check.
Stuffed tiger? Check.
And now to kick it up a notch: Whiskey!

*** WELCOME TO ACHEWOOD CA ***


Achewood is my favorite comic still in production hands down. Nothing else comes close. Be that as it may, Calvin and Hobbes has a special place in my heart that no other comic can ever replace. I love Achewood as much as it is legal for a person to love a comic, but I love Calvin and Hobbes even a little more than that.


But Calvin and Hobbes is dead. DOES THIS MAKE YOU TEH NECROPHILIAC OMG
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 27, 2005, 03:10:41 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
They just don't make comics like this anymore.


Watch it there, Champ.


I'd like to point that I was just fuck*ng around, but I know back in the day someone was remodeling a house and pulled some old newspaper out of the wall, and discovered a Little Nemo strip. Fondly but sadly, he too said 'they just don't make comics like this anymore'.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 27, 2005, 10:37:49 pm
I hope I don't get in trouble, but here (http://www.bugbread.com/miscweb/calvinretouch.jpg).
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: andalucia on February 27, 2005, 10:41:36 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I hope I don't get in trouble, but here (http://www.bugbread.com/miscweb/calvinretouch.jpg).


I've seen that around, and even though it's fake, it really is the Saddest Thing.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 27, 2005, 10:52:36 pm
Yeah, it's non-canonical, but that's why it's ok to laugh, right?
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Bozack on February 28, 2005, 12:39:17 am
God, yeah, if that had been the final C&H, I probably would have slit my wrists.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2005, 12:42:03 am
whimper
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Golfhaus on February 28, 2005, 12:46:00 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I hope I don't get in trouble, but here (http://www.bugbread.com/miscweb/calvinretouch.jpg).


Man, repeated listenings to the Chipmunks' "Time Warp" cover had me in a bit of a fun mood. That... just brought me right back down.

Extra points for subtlety: The title simply reading "Calvin."
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2005, 01:34:56 am
C&H was one of my favorite strips, but I still think that's some funny shit.

Apologies, though, to anyone who was truly bothered.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2005, 01:51:49 am
I felt the intense need to clap at my screen to try and keep Hobbes alive.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2005, 02:19:25 am
Sign #574 That I'm a Callous Bastard:

The part that bothered me most about that edit was the fonts. Oh, god, the fonts.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2005, 02:23:28 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Sign #574 That I'm a Callous Bastard:

The part that bothered me most about that edit was the fonts. Oh, god, the fonts.


There are at least two other versions of that - and I'm afraid the fonts don't get no better.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 28, 2005, 05:32:06 am
So what's the deal with that? Is that a really good imitation, or is that the actual art from the fabled alternate ending?

Edit: Or it's just other strips spliced together. I forgot that Watterson hated the "talking heads" method of comic making and would never have several panels with static characters.
Title: Calvin and Hobbes archive online
Post by: Max on February 28, 2005, 07:23:33 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"

Edit: Or it's just other strips spliced together. I forgot that Watterson hated the "talking heads" method of comic making and would never have several panels with static characters.


That's one of the many reasons why that guy is the fuck*ng man.

God, I miss Calvin and Hobbes.