The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on August 17, 2003, 07:56:25 am

Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (08-18-03 posted on 08-16-03)
Post by: jough on August 17, 2003, 07:56:25 am
Onstad is really on top of his game this week.  New Monday strip posted on Saturday night.

Woo-hoo.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08182003).
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: jough on August 17, 2003, 07:59:17 am
And you gotta love that Beef bought underwear to wear once and throw away (1 pair every day for a year).
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 17, 2003, 08:01:30 am
Not to mention he buys plain white briefs to wear...
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: Choop on August 17, 2003, 02:50:48 pm
Plus, he paid CASH for those 365 pair. That's perfect: he doesn't want to be user-data tracked at the underwear store.

But in panel 3 (obscured) he says he's going to go to the underground. All the receipts are from the "Hidden Hills Plaza" or some variation on the name... the underground is a mall?

Still: "I got MY way of doing thinks and MY way of lookin' so PISS OFF." Other than slamming the phone on Ray, have we ever seen Beef so demonstrative?
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2003, 02:57:01 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
But in panel 3 (obscured) he says he's going to go to the underground. All the receipts are from the "Hidden Hills Plaza" or some variation on the name... the underground is a mall?

Well the underground is an entire hidden society for animals, so they have malls, strip clubs, restaurants, adult bookstores, liquor stores, and 7-11's I'm sure.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: MSC on August 17, 2003, 03:50:53 pm
I like how Beef was so angry, but he still didn't change clothes.  Maybe he was actually taking his new look out for a spin.  Or maybe he just needed clean undies first.  Other funny things:

"Where it's always time for under #####"

Pumpkin pie as dessert for Teppanyaki.  Gross, yet seemingly very Roast Beef.  Ditto the black licorice.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: beverly on August 17, 2003, 05:29:13 pm
take note of the times.  He ate, purchased underwear, and a book in 22 minutes.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: jough on August 17, 2003, 06:10:02 pm
This is one of the most detail-rich strips in months.  Yes, Beef is on a rampage, eating and making snap decisions in time to go home and watch "JavaWeek" on the PC Channel.

I love that the slice of pumpkin pie cost $5.99, too.  He's obviously splurging on overly-priced items, like that O'Reilly book.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: V-Adore on August 17, 2003, 07:18:50 pm
I have to wonder where Beef's getting all this money. Is it a stipend for his new, happening lifestyle? Is he sponging off of Ray? Is he blowing his life savings on under##### and O'Reilly books? Is there a very special Bankruptcy Episode in our future?

Also, is Under##### Time where Ray got his thong? The world may never know.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: jough on August 17, 2003, 08:56:16 pm
You have to remember that Ray is a multi-billionaire (both from "Ass in your #####" as well as the oldest porno ever that he sold at auction), so I'm sure he takes good care of his li'l' buddy Roast Beef.

And of course they could have been paying him for the show, too.
Title: Re: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: Noah on August 17, 2003, 09:54:26 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Onstad is really on top of his game this week.  New Monday strip posted on Saturday night.


I thought this was just making up for the one he missed last Friday.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2003, 10:23:01 pm
Man, $9.00 bucks for a beer!  Yipes!  I can buy a case of Milwaukee's Best for less than that.

I got a gut feeling that this story arc ain't over yet.  Maybe Beef gets hit on while he's out on the town.  Maybe he lifted Ray's ATM card to get the jack to pay for his Beef time.  Maybe he won a lawsuit based on his mis-diagnosis as a female when he was a baby (kitten?).

For what it's worth, I have four kittens frolicking outside of my window.  They're like climbing up a tree lumberjack style, then one will dive bomb one of his siblings and they'll roll around for a while.  I'm gonna call one of 'em Little Nephew.  Hell, maybe I'll call ALL of 'em Little Nephew.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: CortJstr on August 18, 2003, 01:13:58 am
I'm thinking Beef's mad computer skills were used will during the tech boom. And Beef seems like he'd buy some CDs (the bank kind) and use a savings account rather than buying 42" plasma TVs and solid gold litter boxes so he probably has a decent nest egg.

[edit: Beef is still pretty angry after all that, judging by his eyebrows in the last panel.

Also, 8.25% tax? Damn. Is that normal in CA?]
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: jough on August 18, 2003, 02:52:54 am
Yeah, California and Texas have an 8 1/4% tax.  Ouch.

It's 7% in Philadelphia, which is pretty bad too.

Luckily, I live about ten minutes north of the Delaware border, where there's no sales tax and hooch is just hella-cheap (compared to the Pennsylvania State Store system anyway).

EDIT: I think Onstad messed up a little, though.  Surely there would be no tax on under##### even in California.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: Choop on August 18, 2003, 05:30:08 am
Quote from: "beverly"
take note of the times.  He ate, purchased underwear, and a book in 22 minutes.


Good point there, bev.

However: also note that he had two Asahi by 9:32 a.m. And the 22 minutes thing is just between the time he settled out for his breakfast (maybe, maybe brunch) and when he paid at the bookstore.

That's one hell of a start to a "me day" - $1303.54 spent by ten in the morning.

edited for general sloppiness
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: side_show on August 18, 2003, 07:21:32 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
Surely there would be no tax on under##### even in California.


Yes, in California they do indeed tax the shorts right off of us.

::cringes::

That's a prime reason, but certainly not the only reason, why we got this little recall ruckus going on about now...


I live in Canada where I am taxed 14% on everything including food and books.  Also, gas is currently 74 cents a litre - that's LITRE - not gallon.  Then again I have free health care.

Of course he bought black licorice chews - it suits his new look and his mood.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: V-Adore on August 18, 2003, 07:43:18 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
On a re-read I noticed the cat next to Beef at the restaurant has a comb-over!  How the hell would a cat ever require a comb-over?  But, it totally fits the business guy next seat over at the bar thing, what with flashing knives and flying food items.  Little touches like that are a freaking joy.

Somehow it's exactly the sort of guy you'd expect to see sitting next to Beef for a morning teppanyaki/Asahi bender -- the little salaryman, impeccably calm, probably because he's seen this floorshow a hundred times.

Guilty confession: when I first looked at the panel with the food-flinging, I assumed that Beef had flicked something on his plate at the salaryman next to him. It took me a few looks to realize that Beef hadn't become a teppanyaki bully after all.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: keef on August 19, 2003, 03:53:28 am
What I want to know is, where did all beef's hair come from?

I always thought he shaved it bald to look cool, all Michael-Jordan or Moby or Yul-Brynner stylee.  But then apparently he can just grow it out at will.  Showbiz had that bad-ass pony-tail, but beef didn't have anything till he had the morrissey-gone-awry look.

[EDIT:ps locking threads is dumb.]
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: slink on August 19, 2003, 03:07:29 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

I live in Canada where I am taxed 14% on everything including food and books.  Also, gas is currently 74 cents a litre - that's LITRE - not gallon.  Then again I have free health care.


UK - Taxed 17.5%... bleah!
And Gas is currently about 79p a litre, like, twice what you Canadians pay. I just want to get out of here 'cause the entire country is too damn expensive!

Still, good strip, just to be vaguely OT.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: jough on August 19, 2003, 04:29:43 pm
No Hunter Thompson (via Ralph Steadman, natch)?

Your new avatar is all the scarier, Slink.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: slink on August 19, 2003, 04:40:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No Hunter Thompson (via Ralph Steadman, natch)?

Your new avatar is all the scarier, Slink.


Well, we had to move our servers round so the link to the Steadman pic had gone, and I figured I'd give this one a whirl. It's Ed and Ein from Cowboy Bebop in the style of Steadman.
Thought the scary could only make it memorable at least!
It was that or an even scarier picture of Kermit, so be glad I went with this one!
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2003, 05:20:20 pm
I missed Hunter too, Slink.  I'm a big fan of his, plus he's a local boy.
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: ferocious j on August 19, 2003, 05:41:12 pm
::gives thumbs-up to slink's new avatar, Ralph Steadman, Cowboy Bebop in general::
Title: Earliest Monday Strip EVER (8/18 posted on 8/16)
Post by: slink on August 19, 2003, 06:41:10 pm
Excellent!
Always thought Achewood and Hunter had some kinda common bridging. Probably brought about by Beef and Ray's road trip, though it was less drug addled.