The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 01:35:48 pm

Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 01:35:48 pm
Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? (http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page.htm) Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: arlucasinc on February 28, 2005, 01:44:15 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? (http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page.htm) Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.


My favorite:
(http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page_files/image037.jpg)
Happy Celebration giraffe: Wild salmon or arctic charr prepared like a pineapple in shape and sweetness
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 02:25:22 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ho hum. How about a menu for Greenland's only Chinese Restaurant? (http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page.htm) Since, you know, moo shu whale is funny.


My favorite:
(http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page_files/image037.jpg)
Happy Celebration giraffe: Wild salmon or arctic charr prepared like a pineapple in shape and sweetness


I'm a big fan of the strange:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

102) Kangaroo on an iceberg:  kangaroo filet in a  sweet and sour tomato paste


Now, I know because I have been monitoring this site as part of my plan to take a trip to Greenland and eat everything on that menu at least once, that the kangaroo was part of a special festival related to the Prince of Denmark marrying someone from Australia, but a first time browser wouldn't have ANY idea why the hell there is KANGAROO in GREENLAND.

I'm also a big fan of the obvious lies:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

62) 鱼香鲸鱼肉丝
   
Whale as fragrant as giraffe: whale meat, bought from the hunter,cooked in a spicy Sichuan sauce, popular throughout China


First of all, I can buy whale being popular in the coastal areas of China, but definitely not "throughout" and certainly not in an inland province like Sichuan.


And then of course the stuff that makes the menu from Temple of Doom look like candy by comparison:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

82) 北极人冰淇淋
   
Akutaq (“akusaq” in Greenlandic): a traditional Inuit favourite sweet for special occasions, called “Eskimo ice cream” - prepared from caribou fat, seal oil and blueberries。  Something like a cassata but with a whiff of seal oil.


WITH A WHIFF OF SEAL OIL PEOPLE.

Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.

Flight information:

From Canada (http://www.greatcanadiantravel.com/grld_skd_cad.htm) (I think this is one-way)

Everything else is from Scandinavia. (http://www.greenland.com/Travel_Info/Getting_to_Greenland/)
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 28, 2005, 03:00:15 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.


"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 03:09:26 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.


"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.



Hoi Polloi tells you to go fuck yourself. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie&r=f)

thank you come again
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2005, 03:11:06 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 03:14:57 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.



ahhhhhh!
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2005, 03:34:46 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.

~Paul
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: miles on February 28, 2005, 03:57:02 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.


Too bad I already have extensive travel plans this summer.  Get me some take-out?

I bet Ray would be up for it too, as he is fond of trying weird meat.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 04:04:19 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE. I say PONY THE FUCK UP and we can charter an Achewood Greenland trip. Flights to Greenland unfortunately are on the little pontoon planes and run about $5,000 from Newfoundland. The other option is to go to Denmark and back via Iceland and that costs more money.


I'm in.


Too bad I already have extensive travel plans this summer.  Get me some take-out?

I bet Ray would be up for it too, as he is fond of trying weird meat.


Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: jough on February 28, 2005, 04:57:47 pm
(http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page_files/image083.jpg)
Steamed Bread:  the staple food of northern China

COMMUNISM: EACH TO HIS OWN ABILITIES, EACH WITH HIS STEAMED BREAD

You think the capitalists have their bread steamed?  No way, comrade.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: miles on February 28, 2005, 05:01:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.


Oh, ok.  It sounded so spontatneous that I assumed you were planning for the near future.

I vote for the route via Iceland.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 05:10:18 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Next year! we will plan this for next summer. Not so much for you, but merely because of the logistics.


Oh, ok.  It sounded so spontatneous that I assumed you were planning for the near future.

I vote for the route via Iceland.


Fuck that shit, yo. This isn't a tour of joy. This is a two day excursion to Greenland to EAT fuck*ng STRANGE CHINESE FOOD. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO IN GREENLAND. Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: slink on February 28, 2005, 06:16:15 pm
It terrifies me that I am going to be in Canada next summer for a wedding. That and the ida of blueberries and seal oil...
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2005, 06:24:50 pm
This thread amuses me, but only now that it's in the correct forum. Honestly, folks. Jeeesus.

Anyway, I do love the sheer absurdity of a Greenlandic Chinese restaurant serving a dish that involves kangaroo. Talk about the world shrinking every day...
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2005, 06:27:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This thread amuses me, but only now that it's in the correct forum. Honestly, folks. Jeeesus.

Anyway, I do love the sheer absurdity of a Greenlandic Chinese restaurant serving a dish that involves kangaroo. Talk about the world shrinking every day...


Are you in?
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2005, 06:32:00 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
And then of course the stuff that makes the menu from Temple of Doom look like candy by comparison:

Quote from: "Misigisaq Menu"

82) 北极人冰淇淋
   
Akutaq (“akusaq” in Greenlandic): a traditional Inuit favourite sweet for special occasions, called “Eskimo ice cream” - prepared from caribou fat, seal oil and blueberries。  Something like a cassata but with a whiff of seal oil.


WITH A WHIFF OF SEAL OIL PEOPLE.


I've had that several times, and made it myself, in fact. It's pretty good.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bozack on February 28, 2005, 07:12:27 pm
Quote from: "UrbanDictionary.com"
Because he was a foodie, he liked to collect menus from restaurants which prepared food he enjoyed.



MMMMMhmmmm. I'm not really that much of a "foodie," but I've had my fair share of eats and I would have to say that collecting restaurant menus is not really the true signal of a gourmand. I would say that that would be low-level kleptomania.

Oh, and....god damn it, I'm in.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 28, 2005, 08:04:31 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.



ahhhhhh!


That's right.  My aim is true.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: andalucia on February 28, 2005, 10:24:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.


Montreal?  That's that place where I live!
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 01:29:01 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.


Montreal?  That's that place where I live!


Are you in for the Greenland Sichuan Kangaroo?
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2005, 01:30:38 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.

Montreal?  That's that place where I live!

Are you in for the Greenland Sichuan Kangaroo?

Best harassment of a vegan ever.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: andalucia on March 01, 2005, 03:16:37 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.

Montreal?  That's that place where I live!

Are you in for the Greenland Sichuan Kangaroo?

Best harassment of a vegan ever.


Are you kidding?  They have pouches full of mucus attatched to them!  If any animal has ever deserved to be slaughtered and made delicious by Scandinavians, it is clearly them.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 03:22:14 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Perhaps by way of road trip through montreal.

Montreal?  That's that place where I live!

Are you in for the Greenland Sichuan Kangaroo?

Best harassment of a vegan ever.


Are you kidding?  They have pouches full of mucus attatched to them!


Best justification for eating out YOUR MOM the other night.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: andalucia on March 01, 2005, 03:26:29 am
Well, that particular comment was inevitable, so I'm glad we got it over with.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 03:35:59 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Well, that particular comment was inevitable, so I'm glad we got it over with.


Now we may continue on as usual.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: linnea on March 01, 2005, 04:33:12 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Look, I'm a foodie, Onstad is a foodie, all you motherfuckers are foodies and we ALL HAVE A HARD ON FOR THIS PLACE.

"Foodie" is not a word.  Do not use it.

Excellent cookbook reference.



ahhhhhh!


That's right.  My aim is true.


AAAAAAAAAAALISON


And hells yes, ladies, I am totally down for a random Greenland expedition.

Jough: Chinese steamed bread is really weird. The stuff that I had was made from rice flour, as I would imagine would be par for the course with steamed bread. Imagine having a completely white, crustless bread. I'm talking snow white. It was very disconcerting. Bizarre. Eerie.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 01, 2005, 08:27:12 pm
Numbing Spicy Musk Ox, bitches!
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 08:32:23 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Numbing Spicy Musk Ox, bitches!


You in?
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 01, 2005, 08:42:45 pm
Are we flying out of Dulles?  Cuz the other airports aren't convenient to my house.  Fuckin' BWI.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 08:46:17 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Are we flying out of Dulles?  Cuz the other airports aren't convenient to my house.  Fuckin' BWI.


fuck*ng ROAD TRIP TO MONTREAL and fly from there!
Or maybe Dulles to Montreal, I dunno.

I am seriously going to do this. I am pinpointing June of 2006 for a one week stay. The fjords of Greenland, and EVERY NIGHT WE EAT AT THIS PLACE UNTIL I RUN OUT OF BIZARRE SHIT TO EAT.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: jough on March 01, 2005, 09:01:16 pm
I'm in for June 2006.  If enough of us sign on we can probably get hell of group rates.

Then we can battle other group trips to the death.  Those little old ladies visiting the fiords from St. Bart's in Tulsa won't be able to stop our awesome power (that is, unless the sport is bingo).
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: slink on March 02, 2005, 12:30:03 am
Quote from: "linnea"

Jough: Chinese steamed bread is really weird. The stuff that I had was made from rice flour, as I would imagine would be par for the course with steamed bread. Imagine having a completely white, crustless bread. I'm talking snow white. It was very disconcerting. Bizarre. Eerie.


I don't know if what they wrap certain dim sum in is steamed bread or not? It looks the same, but it at least would have something else to it that way. They were good anyway, so if they were steamed bread, I don't hate it as much as I'd expect to.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Golfhaus on March 02, 2005, 03:49:38 am
While BWI may not be convenient, carlos, Icelandair DOES fly from BWI to the island... someone else commented that Greenland was accessible by air from Iceland. Greenland in one connection ain't bad at all.

Working in the airlines for five years proves useful after all! Well, that and the flying around to meet the ladies back in the day...
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 02, 2005, 03:56:13 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
While BWI may not be convenient, carlos, Icelandair DOES fly from BWI to the island... someone else commented that Greenland was accessible by air from Iceland. Greenland in one connection ain't bad at all.

Working in the airlines for five years proves useful after all! Well, that and the flying around to meet the ladies back in the day...


Jesus Christ, people. Do you know how much it would cost to go to Iceland and back to Denmark? It makes the approximately $1500 from Montreal look like a pittance.

In other news, I am advocating roux as a thickening agent for pasta sauce as opposed to tomato paste. The logic:

me: a roux for a spaghetti sauce, with wine and bonito
friend: I'm not sure how I feel about that
me: i'm never using tomato paste as a thickening agent
me: again
me: i think roux is the way to go
friend: my take is that pasta sauces are meant to be boiled down
me: the roux serves two puposes
me: first of all, the starch locks in flavors, especailly the wine and/or fats (and in the case of the bonito, the smokiness/earthiness one usually gets with anchovy paste)
me: second of all, the roux is an EXCELLENT conductor and trapper of heat
friend: what was your bad experience with tomato paste?
me: tomato paste doesnt get the consistency -- it cools easily and will make the noodles soggy if left sitting for more than thirty seconds
me: the roux is stiff and doesnt permeate the noodle
friend: I will ponder this
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Golfhaus on March 02, 2005, 04:05:52 am
For me, about $350.

Because I'm on the INSIDE, yo.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 02, 2005, 04:07:41 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
For me, about $350.

Because I'm on the INSIDE, yo.


Can you get that rate for all of us? Because if so I am TOTALLY down.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Golfhaus on March 02, 2005, 04:10:36 am
Only if we all become Mormon. And you all become women. It's a benefit granted to the immediate family.

But I'll fart around at work a bit, see what kind of magic I can pull for a ballpark figure on the cheapest way to get there.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 02, 2005, 04:13:03 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Only if we all become Mormon. And you all become women. It's a benefit granted to the immediate family.

But I'll fart around at work a bit, see what kind of magic I can pull for a ballpark figure on the cheapest way to get there.
 

I still think that, given the fact that the trip I'm envisioning is maybe three or four days, travel time would be significantly less via Canada. I'm talking about -- go to Greenland, see the fjords, eat chinese food of insane weirdness. Next day, see the caribou or igloos or something, eat chinese food of insane weirdness. Next day, go kayaking and fuck a polar bear, learn about the natives being in tune with nature, eat chinese food of insane weirdness. Fourth day, i dunno, go bugger a lemming or something, eat the last dish that you never would be able to buy in america, then go the hell home in the morning.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bozack on March 02, 2005, 04:32:25 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Fourth day, i dunno, go bugger a lemming or something, eat the last dish that you never would be able to buy in america, then go the hell home in the morning.


Scraping the bottom of the barrel there, huh?
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 02, 2005, 04:41:57 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Fourth day, i dunno, go bugger a lemming or something, eat the last dish that you never would be able to buy in america, then go the hell home in the morning.


Scraping the bottom of the barrel there, huh?


Yes.

On another note, the Tolkien dork in me REALLY wants the topic of this thread changed to "Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus."
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Gimpson on March 02, 2005, 02:23:43 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
In other news, I am advocating roux as a thickening agent for pasta sauce as opposed to tomato paste.


I've been taking some cooking classes lately, and took a class in sauces last night.  For what it's worth, the Kansas City Culinary Institute (http://www.kcculinary.com/) recommends both tomato paste and flour in their tomato sauce.  They used a butter roux in all the rest of their mother sauces, but the tomato sauce started with salt port rendering in olive oil, then flour cooked into that before the tomatoes were added, tomato paste added later.

Of course, I'm not sure you want to take recommendations from any institution with embedded sound on their web page.  Is so newbie.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 02, 2005, 08:48:20 pm
Yeah, Word on the tomato-paste roux. Whenever I make a pan sauce, I make a roux from tomato paste - browning the tomato paste with a little flour and some garlic or shallots is a nice way to thicken a pan sauce made from the juices and leavings (fond, I think they are called)  from searing steaks or other meats. I use brandy too - varying the Steak Diane recipe I posted in the other forum can lead to lots of fairly easy and tasty pan sauces.

When I make tomato sauce for spaghetii and meatballs, I always start by browning the tomato paste with olive oil, garlic and onions. It's good eats.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 02, 2005, 11:56:36 pm
Quote from: "jough"
(http://www.misigisaq.gl/english%20menu%20160303%20web%20page_files/image083.jpg)
Steamed Bread:  the staple food of northern China

COMMUNISM: EACH TO HIS OWN ABILITIES, EACH WITH HIS STEAMED BREAD

You think the capitalists have their bread steamed?  No way, comrade.



_______________________________________ ____________________

We eat these All the time in Hawaii. You can buy them at 7-11 or in movie theaters for snacks. The word in Hawaii is Manapua but they're basically just steamed buns with some meat inside.


Title: CHAR SIU BAO (manapua)

Yield: 12 Servings
 
PORK FILLING (Char Siu)

1 c  Roast pork (may use fresh or fried)
4    Fresh shrimps; boiled and chopped
1    Stalk green onion; chopped
1 ts Oyster sauce
1 ts Soy sauce
salt to taste
 
BUNS (Bao)

3/4 ts Yeast
2/3 tb Sugar
1 1/4 c  -warm water
1 ts Salt
1 tb Shortening
4 1/2 c  Flour       >>
 
FILLING: Mix ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes.
   
BUNS: Dissolve yeast in warm water; add shortening; sugar, salt and flour. Knead until smooth (slightly). Dough must be stiff. Then cut dough into approximately 2 inch balls, flatten in the palms of hands and fill them with about 2 tsp of the pork filling, placing them on white paper 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square. Let rise for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours;  Steam 20 minutes.

____________________________

You can make vegetarian of these too; I bet some fried tofu with soy and fresh green onion would be nice inside these, or even bean curd or finely diced stirfry vegetables with some oyster and soy sauce. Or a sweet filling might also be good; Azuki beans or pureed cooked sweet potato with a llittle brown sugar.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: slink on March 03, 2005, 04:27:44 am
Sounds like they are the ones we had. My dad used to make them occasionally, and they were so good.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: jough on March 03, 2005, 05:47:38 am
Okay, Manapua I've had, and what you're describing sounds like the dim sum that's served in most chinese restaurants around here - they're like dumplings but with a thinner and lighter shell.

But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2005, 02:03:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"
But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.

Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bozack on March 03, 2005, 08:24:15 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.


.....Did you see Shaolin Soccer too?
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2005, 08:36:47 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.

.....Did you see Shaolin Soccer too?

If nobody on this whole board got that reference I was going to be very disappointed.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: jough on March 03, 2005, 10:52:09 pm
Oh, I didn't reply to it because I thought it was *obvious*.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 04, 2005, 12:22:51 am
Quote from: "jough"
Okay, Manapua I've had, and what you're describing sounds like the dim sum that's served in most chinese restaurants around here - they're like dumplings but with a thinner and lighter shell.

But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.


Actually, looking at the base and lid on that photo I think those rolls are in a steamer basket that is stackable. I don't see that they are floating.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: slink on March 04, 2005, 12:40:05 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Actually, looking at the base and lid on that photo I think those rolls are in a steamer basket that is stackable. I don't see that they are floating.


Yea, or they'd be boiled or simmered, not steamed.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2005, 01:04:01 am
When I was a very young child my family knew a Chinese man at the church we attended.  On a couple of occasions he served us a dish he called "Chinese Hamburgers."  We moved cities when I was 7 and never saw this man again.  I never knew what it was he was serving, although I thought about it many times.  Many many years later I discovered dumplings and I thought I had found my "Chinses Hamburgers."  Still I wasn't completely convinced.  Thanks to Bobby, I have for certian found my "Chinese Hamburgers."  So for me, this is more than just a crazy food expidition, it's a chance to rediscover a lost piece of my childhood.  Greenland ho!!!

~Paul
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 04, 2005, 03:40:09 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
When I was a very young child my family knew a Chinese man at the church we attended.  On a couple of occasions he served us a dish he called "Chinese Hamburgers."  We moved cities when I was 7 and never saw this man again.  I never knew what it was he was serving, although I thought about it many times.  Many many years later I discovered dumplings and I thought I had found my "Chinses Hamburgers."  Still I wasn't completely convinced.  Thanks to Bobby, I have for certian found my "Chinese Hamburgers."  So for me, this is more than just a crazy food expidition, it's a chance to rediscover a lost piece of my childhood.  Greenland ho!!!

~Paul


I want to underscore my ABSOLUTE SERIOUSNESS about this trip -- I am researching via Golfhaus whether I can get a discount on ticketry, but for now am planning on the Canada venue and will require the money in hand by end of 2005.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 04, 2005, 02:24:04 pm
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2005, 02:34:04 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."


I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

~Paul
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2005, 04:50:52 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."

I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

And potstickers are Chinese Pierogi.
Title: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 04, 2005, 11:12:05 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."

I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

And potstickers are Chinese Pierogi.


And Calgon is the Ancient Chinsese Secret.

Used by hotshot chinese laundrymen the world over.
Title: Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Nabubrush on February 25, 2006, 08:23:53 pm
Not to be a dick by posting to comatose topics, but was this thing ever going to happen?
Title: Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: jough on February 25, 2006, 08:30:33 pm
I already have my ticket and travel itinerary planned, dude.  Where have you been?
Title: Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: Nabubrush on February 25, 2006, 09:37:32 pm
I already have my ticket and travel itinerary planned, dude.  Where have you been?
Funnily enough, in a coma. Through the tireless work of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Senator Rick Santorum, and House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, I was given enough time to regain my senses, and here I am to inflict myself upon you folks again. I bet that'll change your voting habits.
Title: Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: V-Adore on February 26, 2006, 04:41:01 am
Funnily enough, in a coma.

Dude, if you're serious, my sympathies, and good to see you back.

If you're not serious, you're working some rough chuckles these days.
Title: Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 12:55:06 am
Funnily enough, in a coma.

I figured he was being metaphorical.