The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Mite on August 17, 2003, 04:40:26 pm

Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: Mite on August 17, 2003, 04:40:26 pm
As I've mentioned in another thread, my fancy college degree is finally earning me some money. I ditched the crummy pan set I had in college, and I want something than I will basically be able to use until I die. I've got my eye on the Calphalon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007E9GZ/qid=1061135756/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8717859-8045562?v=glance&s=kitchen) 13 piece Commercial non-stick set. Has anybody used this kind before? Used anything better? I'm willing to drop a pretty fair chunk of change as long as it's for something high-quality.

Then, once this is paid off, it'll be time for a knife set which I can love as if it were one of my children.

Thanks,
Mite
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: Choop on August 17, 2003, 06:32:53 pm
You can't go wrong with Calphalon, as long as you avoid the "Calphalon Classics" - those tend to lose their non-stick coating after a couple years.

Really, though, even Farberware pans will last a lifetime if you treat it right. Wash by hand with soapy water and a non-abrasive cloth; only soak when it's stuck, never scrape; cuddle the non-stick on a soft pillow in a clean bed; forget most of that and use the dishwasher.

Cast-iron pans are wholly different, but you knew that.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: slink on August 19, 2003, 02:27:42 am
I'd also recommend getting a good wok, which doesn't actually mean getting too expensive. But it does mean avoiding non-stick, best way is to use it properly, get the oil extremely hot (smoking) so nothing gets a chance to stick, and remember to season it when you've washed it, to stop it rusting while stored.
Non-stick woks, I find, just aren't the same.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: Limmo on August 19, 2003, 11:23:07 pm
I've always been happy with All-Clad pots and pans, myself.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: MSC on August 21, 2003, 10:16:21 pm
I have several All-Clad as well as several Calphalon Commercial Non-Stick.  

All-Clad pots are excellent.  I think most of them do not come in a non-stick variety, but they are so excellent that little sticks that does not wash off easily.  I also personally prefer pots that are non non-stick because you don't have to stress about using non-metal utensils.  I think these pots are a joy to cook with.  While All-Clad are great, however, they are quite expensive.

The Calphalon Commercial Non-Stick are also very good pots.  (Ditto the earlier poster who noted that you want to make sure you don't get the crappier lines from this company).  While the Commercial non-stick aren't cheap, they are less expensive than the All-Clad.  These will also do very well for you.  The downside is that they are a lot heavier than the All-Clad if that matters for you.  They also seem to take longer to heat on my gas range.  But I use them frequently and have not been disappointed.

If money is not a big object, I would get the All-Clad.  But I don't think you can go wrong with the Calphalon.
Title: learn
Post by: satchel on August 21, 2003, 10:49:00 pm
No metal utensils against non-stick coatings. That’s good advice, I thought I might learn something here.

My question: are all common non-stick cooking utensils coated with something to make them non-sticky? There are no non-stick metal alloys or inherently non-sticky cooking pots or pans? I’ve seen peeled non-stick coatings and they’re ugly. It would be nice to have a permanently non-sticking utensil.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: MSC on August 25, 2003, 10:28:37 pm
Get some of those OXO "Good Grips" utensils.  They are some sort of plastic, and work well.  Target also sells cheaper rip-offs that work pretty well also and seem not to melt.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 26, 2003, 12:11:46 am
Make sure you buy a decent saute pan. Good for everything. I like Stainless Steel with a copper core. Once you season it, you can wipe it out with a towel and keep on cooking - awesome. Stuff never EVER sticks if you treat this pan right - AND no "non-stick coating" to worry about. Good restaurant-quality stuff will last a long, long time. If you can afford it, go that way if you really like cooking.

I also love cooking in cast iron - I have a great griddle/grill pan that goes over two gas burners, it's awesome for searing steaks, or giraffe, cooking pancakes and eggs, everything you want. And once you season it, it's good forever. No soap ever needed.

If you live somewhere where the climate is favorable, here is another idea: don't spend your money on pans. Buy a high-quality grill and cook outside. We cook and eat outside almost every night- it's such a great way to entertain and the cleanup is easy.
Title: My first major cookware purchase - advice?
Post by: slink on August 26, 2003, 12:14:43 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I also love cooking in cast iron


Yea, I will always have a couple of cast iron pans/griddles and the like around. Only way to do pancakes (on the rare occasion I do them), and all the other things the 'Dawg mentioned. They are a very different, essential pan!