The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: slink on March 02, 2005, 06:15:28 pm

Title: Oh your God
Post by: slink on March 02, 2005, 06:15:28 pm
http://www.blessitt.com/crossinspace/index.html

It's like Jehova's Witnesses walking past your house holding their leaflets up so as you can read them with binoculars or something.

I don't know. I just get angry when religious people get all zealous at me, and this seems like a subliminal method of doing so. Of course, even if it happens, I'll forget about it.

Plus, I think space should be non-denominational anyway.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: andalucia on March 02, 2005, 06:24:57 pm
I dunno, sort of seems like nothing new to me, since everyone in Montreal is already under the baleful gaze (http://www.phydeau.org/infinull/mphoto/photosM2003/montroyal5.jpg) of the gigantic cross atop Mont-Royal.  It lights up every night.  One of my friends somehow came to believe that it is going to change colour or go out or something when the Pope dies, so we've been keeping an eye on it.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: CortJstr on March 02, 2005, 06:32:12 pm
"Traditional Religions" is filtered at work so I can't even follow the link.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: slink on March 02, 2005, 07:22:09 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
"Traditional Religions" is filtered at work so I can't even follow the link.


Wow. They can do that?
I guess it makes some sort of sense.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: arkabee on March 02, 2005, 08:16:55 pm
are people really going to shoot a gigantor cross into space and attempt to put it in orbit around the planet they live on?

can someone help me start a website to start a pool to guess the date it plummets to the earth as a flaming cross and causes irrevocable environmental damage thus ushering on the Apocalypse?

cuz, i only want a 4.5% cut.

also, i choose Oct 31st 2009.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Gimpson on March 02, 2005, 08:32:12 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
are people really going to shoot a gigantor cross into space and attempt to put it in orbit around the planet they live on?


I did some poking around on the site, and the cross being launched is 2 inches by 1 inch.  It's being launched by some company called Space Services, Inc. (http://www.memorialspaceflight.com/) which seems to be set up mainly to launch cremains into space.  

I have to admit that I was kind of into the idea of a big ol' 15' tall cross flying around the earth.  Unfortunately, it's a whole lot less interesting than that.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Gimpson on March 02, 2005, 08:34:51 pm
Oh, and this is going up with it:

(http://www.blessitt.com/photos/graphics/stickers.jpg)

They're stickers.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: slink on March 02, 2005, 08:42:46 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Oh, and this is going up with it:

(http://www.blessitt.com/photos/graphics/stickers.jpg)

They're stickers.


Is this for aliens? Stickers?
Turn on to Jesus? I think I need to make a T Shirt with the design but saying Turn on Jesus.

I would have been more amused if it were indeed a 15 foot cross. But I guess NASA and so forth might dislike that. Although a 2 inch cross hitting your windshield at whatever speeds would be fairly scary!
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Bozack on March 02, 2005, 09:11:48 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Turn on Jesus.


I've been touched by Jesus, in all the wrong places.
Sorry Jesus...you still my boo.

But anyway...I guess if I'm not going to be hit by a flaming cross I'd be okay with it. Maybe it'll land on some bizarre, alien planet and the inhabitants will start worshipping it, a la "Gods Must Be Crazy," but with no knowledge of context.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Mantonio on March 03, 2005, 12:39:18 am
That's it - I'm moving to Mars!
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 03, 2005, 01:10:19 am
(http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/art/optimus2.jpg)

Spreading the Gospel to Cybertron, one energon cube at a time.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: arkabee on March 03, 2005, 02:13:13 pm
a two inch cross?

a fifteen foot cross?

ok, physics majors, what size cross would have to be launched to be seen from non-geosynchronous orbit?

also, other majors, or colonels, what size cross would not completely burn up from reentry prior to landing?
Title: Oh your God
Post by: side_show on March 03, 2005, 02:22:44 pm
From the site:
Quote
The cross will be over You personally! The Cross will be over every Nation on earth! Over Afghanistan! Saudi Arabia! Jerusalem! America!


All the exclaimation points remind me of both yelling and bad Engrish web-text.
Title: Re: Oh your God
Post by: miles on March 03, 2005, 02:25:39 pm
Quote from: "slink"
It's like Jehova's Witnesses walking past your house holding their leaflets up so as you can read them with binoculars or something.


Hate to be nitpicky, well, no I don't, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't even use the cross in worship.  In fact, in their publications, at least recently, they depict Jesus on a big stick, not a cross, with his hands nailed above his head.  Also, they don't hold Jesus in the same light as mainstream Christians, I think.  It's just that I had a JW roomate for a semester, and he was always telling me about stuff.

Quote from: "arkabee"
a two inch cross?

a fifteen foot cross?

ok, physics majors, what size cross would have to be launched to be seen from non-geosynchronous orbit?

also, other majors, or colonels, what size cross would not completely burn up from reentry prior to landing?


Yeah, part of me hopes and knows it's just a joke, and part of me hopes it's not.  Also, I'll be severely disappointed if it's just in some kind of vessel.  That would be lame.
Title: Re: Oh your God
Post by: slink on March 03, 2005, 07:29:55 pm
Quote from: "miles"

Hate to be nitpicky, well, no I don't, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't even use the cross in worship.


I didn't say they did.  I was just saying that this, to me, seems like if JW's were to walk past your window every few days holding leaflets up.
Title: Re: Oh your God
Post by: Bozack on March 03, 2005, 08:21:33 pm
Quote from: "miles"
It's just that I had a JW roomate for a semester, and he was always telling me about stuff.


I really like the idea of you laying in bed, asleep, and your roomate walks over, nudges you awake and goes, "Hey, did you know that Jehovah's Witnesses don't use the cross in worship? WELL WE DON'T!"
Title: Re: Oh your God
Post by: miles on March 04, 2005, 06:33:51 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "miles"

Hate to be nitpicky, well, no I don't, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't even use the cross in worship.


I didn't say they did.  I was just saying that this, to me, seems like if JW's were to walk past your window every few days holding leaflets up.


Fair enough.  I wasn't trying to correct, it's just that it's been on my mind lately, because I've been wondering what happened to my roomate.

Quote from: "bozack"
I really like the idea of you laying in bed, asleep, and your roomate walks over, nudges you awake and goes, "Hey, did you know that Jehovah's Witnesses don't use the cross in worship? WELL WE DON'T!"


That is basically how it was.  The kid was fuck*ng nuts.  I'm not saying that because I don't like the religion, he just had serious problems, along with another roomate.  Constant suicide threats and one or two attempts.  It was actually really sad and scary.  Nice kid though, and still wonder what happened to him.

Once, we had a party for a roomate's birthday, and Mark disappeared silently into his bedroom.  I went to find out what was wrong because the roomate who threw it was offended (he was also nuts) and Mark said he didn't feel right being out there while we were celebrating a birthday.  So I offered to bring him a piece of cake or a drink or something, and, after thinking it over for a few moments, he cautiously accepted the offer.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: Bozack on March 04, 2005, 08:14:37 am
There's now a "worst roomate" stories thing up in Wild Card, because I'm curious, dammit.
Title: Oh your God
Post by: side_show on March 04, 2005, 02:25:29 pm
I had a JW friend in high school, she always seemed a little disapointed that she wasn't allowed to come to birthday parties, and stuff.  And the really sad thing was that she was all psyched to go to grad, and even bought a pretty nice dress, but then on the day of grad, she just didn't show up, and I never saw her again.
Title: Re: Oh your God
Post by: slink on March 04, 2005, 03:24:43 pm
Quote from: "miles"

Fair enough.  I wasn't trying to correct, it's just that it's been on my mind lately, because I've been wondering what happened to my roomate.


Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a dick. I hadn't sleapt in about 36 hours... Ugh.
And it has to be said, I didn't know that fact. I knew two JWs when I was in high school, who got on our bus, but they were both just really quiet. One of them did come round to our house once, but got the idea...