The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2005, 09:45:23 pm

Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2005, 09:45:23 pm
My tomato starts are just tearing it up. We are strongly considering putting them in the ground today. How are yours doing? We already have the potatoes, peas, and chard in the ground, and the Bok Choi, Broccoli, and Kohlrabi are starting very nicely.

I didn't know where to put this, but this is the food section.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: wombat on March 15, 2005, 09:58:12 pm
I'm going to have to try to refrain from reading this thread, because it is torture to be reminded that there are places where people can put tomatoes outside on March 15th.

Carry on.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2005, 10:03:03 pm
I lived in Alaska for some thirty years, god damn it. Don't be harsh. I fuck*ng love it here.

Also, given that some denizens (I love that word) of this board are considering relocation, I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.

Also, Papa Was a Rolling Stone. And Built To Spill is recording in Portland as we speak (type) and a friend of mine has an open invitation to go to the sessions.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: AugustWest on March 15, 2005, 10:16:28 pm
Dang, I haven't even planted lettuce yet.  It's been an exceptionally cold (and wet) March here.  Couldn't dig even if I had time to.  But soon, soon.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2005, 11:15:40 pm
It's been unseasonably hot here. I remember wandering around in May and stomping chunks of ice apart. Did I mention that I don't miss that? The crazy weather part? Did I mention that?
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 16, 2005, 12:28:44 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Also, given that some denizens (I love that word) of this board are considering relocation, I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.


It's always nice weather here. Rebecca's in this great Charter School. Our Church is extremely loving and giving. I can see the ocean from my house.
It feels more like home than any place I've lived, but I can't figure if it's because of the age of my kids or because I'm just tired of moving around.

Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20002%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

Top View (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20001%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2005, 12:45:52 am
That's pretty rocking.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2005, 02:37:06 am
The Tomatos are going in this weekend.

~Paul
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 16, 2005, 02:50:16 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20002%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

Top View (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20001%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...


Am I the only one that expected to see pictures of an actual baby on the other side of those links?
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: V-Adore on March 16, 2005, 04:06:38 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20002%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

Top View (http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/Pineapple%20001%202-12-05%20%282%29.jpg)

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...


Am I the only one that expected to see pictures of an actual baby on the other side of those links?

Nope.

That said, it's a lovely pineapple, AD. I should see if the one my folks were working on ever came along to any degree. It, too, was tiny and cute.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: side_show on March 16, 2005, 03:00:17 pm
Hi all!

We still have a nice hard frozen layer of snow on the ground here and always do until the middle or end of April.  Last year at the end of March I started my tomatoes, melons and squash in trays, then we got a freak snow storm in May the week I was prepairing to put them out!  So I kept them inside, they got all leggy and all the melons died.  In the end when I did put them out, the squash basically took over the garden.  I still have four spaghetti squash left at this point!

Anyhoo,

Since this is the gardening corner, a little advice from those in the know would do nicely:

As some of you already know, my SO and I are having a  house built and will tenitivly move in July 1st.  The only problem with this is that I planted a really extensive amount of bulbs in fall, and have a lot of perrenials in the ground that just got established this year (it was originally our plan to stay at the house we're renting for 5 years while we saved for a house, but then there was this gov't program, etc, etc). So we'll be moving to a house in the middle of summer, that will be totally un landscaped, and that we will likely not have much $$ to landscape until next summer.  So my plan is to dig up anything we want to keep - lilies, ivy etc, and put them in buckets, keep them watered etc..  This is going to be a lot of work, then try an at least get some soil in by fall to winter everything.  Is this realistic?  Will all this effort lead to a lot of dead perrenials in buckets? Should I just leave everything behind and start fresh and to hell with the expense?  

Green thumbs, ahoy!
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2005, 06:10:07 pm
Sideshow, you should cozy up to your neighbors next spring.  The ones with gardens anyway.  Most gardeners love to share thier bounty.  Besides they don't want your yard looking bad, it makes the whole street look bad.  When they are thinning out their beds next season they will surely give you something to get yours started with.  It might not be exactly what you want, but beggers can't be choosers and all that.

~Paul
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2005, 08:01:37 pm
I say dig stuff up till you get tired of digging and water it till you get tired of watering and you'll probably salvage at least some of it, and what do you have to lose?  For the perennials anyway - finding where you buried the bulbs sounds like too much trouble.

But you should do what Paul says also.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: AugustWest on March 16, 2005, 08:03:11 pm
If you're moving in the summer you should be able to transplant your perinnials.  Bulbs can be dug up and replanted in the fall, really as late as you can dig (I planted a bunch in November.)  I think you can do the same thing with lillies and iris.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: arkabee on March 21, 2005, 01:12:18 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.


i spent last week in Mexico.  Upon returning, to herebouts, it turns out that i'd much rather be here than there.  I am apparently getting older and more ornery to things that are not the way that they are supposed to be.

It's not so much that here is so very appealing, it's just that it's the way it's supposed to be so damned consistently, even when that way is so wrong.

the tomatoes, however, really were not good down there.  i was surprised.

my gf is in process of buying a house, so we may end up starting a garden or plants or something involving vegetation and the necessity of watering to avoid its death.  and pruning.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2005, 02:06:20 am
I'm at work right now, and everything went crap today, so you can believe when I go home I'll do a bit of reflection.
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2005, 02:55:11 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, given that some denizens (I love that word) of this board are considering relocation, I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.

While looking for a picture of my Rushmore barbershop with Bill Murray in it I stumbled across this (http://www.shinygun.com/print.php?id=35) article about how nice Houston is.

~Paul
Title: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2005, 05:20:15 pm
Quote from: "jennifer mathieu"
REASON SEVEN:
And anyway, only in Texas could a devotee of hip like myself fall for a boy who drives a truck, wears cowboy boots and digs Bikini Kill and Johnny Cash.


Well, no. But that's cool, because that was a really hip thing to write. She didn't try very hard on the wrap-up; she must have been at her deadline (do they even have deadlines at alternative rags?)