The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: miles on March 17, 2005, 12:38:03 am

Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: miles on March 17, 2005, 12:38:03 am
Anyone else catch Slint yet?  Show in Seattle was great.  Opened with Good Morning Captain, great because it was the first song I ever heard by them.  They played all of Spiderland and the EP (all two songs), and a good portion of Tweez and a couple songs I didn't know, which could have also been from Tweez because I've never owned Tweez.

Was amazed how heavy they were.  Much more so than on record, I think.  Anyway, I thought they just killed.  Wish I could see them again, but it sounds like this was a one time deal.  Go see them if they are touring nearby and you can still get tickets.

Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.  Looks like another good year for live music.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2005, 02:16:53 am
I am still waiting for them to announce a date in my town.  If they come i'll be there.

~Paul
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: Bozack on March 17, 2005, 03:58:30 am
Friday, man.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: old kentucky shark on March 19, 2005, 09:44:48 pm
I downloaded the mp3s of one of the new concerts and I know it's not enough but if I acknowledge that it isn't enough I'll get all whiny that they are never, would never come to Minnesota. Because who would do that.

Anyhow I was kind of amazed how they sounded exactly the same.
Title: Re: Heavy Slint
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2005, 09:59:00 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.
Title: Re: Heavy Slint
Post by: miles on March 20, 2005, 07:03:39 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.


That's what my friend over there told me.  I guess he overheard Calvin Johnson talking about it at a show.  This is good news, which I need because pretty much everything else sucks right now.  Or, just school.
Title: Re: Heavy Slint
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2005, 07:10:02 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Built to Spill--Salt Lake--May 29.  Yay!  May also try to make the Denver show night before.


They're recording in Portland right now.


That's what my friend over there told me.  I guess he overheard Calvin Johnson talking about it at a show.  This is good news, which I need because pretty much everything else sucks right now.  Or, just school.

I'll just go ahead and echo that, loudly, multiple times.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: Bozack on March 20, 2005, 10:37:10 pm
Jesus, the Slint show was amazing. Technically amazing, musically amazing...jesus. And the crazy thing was, I was standing there, and the lights came up, and I thought to myself, "That's odd, the bassist looks like Todd, from where I used to work." And, as it turned out, it was. I never even knew he played the bass. WEIRD.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2005, 11:06:52 pm
It turns out a guy I know fairly well used to be in the Decemberists.

Tangential connection!!

Sorry. Upon re-reading this, I find someone might get the impression that I am implying a connection to Slint. I'm actually echoing those old threads about famous connections. This is about my closest one.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: miles on March 21, 2005, 08:42:39 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Jesus, the Slint show was amazing. Technically amazing, musically amazing...jesus. And the crazy thing was, I was standing there, and the lights came up, and I thought to myself, "That's odd, the bassist looks like Todd, from where I used to work." And, as it turned out, it was. I never even knew he played the bass. WEIRD.


Was it that dude with the long hair?  Or someone different?

The only Slint member I recognized was Pajo.  I guess there aren't too many band photos out there, at least that I have seen, and they look different on the cover of Spiderland.
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: Bozack on March 21, 2005, 09:06:41 pm
Yeah, the guy with the long hair; he used to work at the attached store of the restaurant I worked at.
How creepy was it that nobody in the band ever changed their facial expressions?
Title: Heavy Slint
Post by: miles on March 22, 2005, 01:02:35 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Yeah, the guy with the long hair; he used to work at the attached store of the restaurant I worked at.
How creepy was it that nobody in the band ever changed their facial expressions?


Yeah, for as much rocking as they did, they were pretty tame, physically.  I was thinking maybe Pajo would make a cool guitar face during the Washer solo, but nope.

But God, it was a great show.