The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2005, 03:43:01 pm

Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2005, 03:43:01 pm
May the Luck of the Irish be with you today.

~Paul
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2005, 03:57:13 pm
When you die, may you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead. Of course, for this to work you have to die, so that's not great, but still . . .
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: sjlimmer on March 17, 2005, 03:58:42 pm
I'm just hoping I don't get an Irish-style beatdown.  They take St. Pat's way too seriously out here (the college students get the day off, fer gawds sake), and I have a habit of bad-mouthing this particular "holiday."







But I wore my green All-Stars anayway.

Slainte!
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: jough on March 17, 2005, 04:29:44 pm
Irish-style beatdowns are what St. Patrick's Day (not fuck*ng St. PADDY'S Day) are all about.

You could alternately read some Irish Poetry (http://articles.poetryx.com/69/).
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2005, 04:30:37 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I'm just hoping I don't get an Irish-style beatdown.  They take St. Pat's way too seriously out here (the college students get the day off, fer gawds sake), and I have a habit of bad-mouthing this particular "holiday."

Shouldn't they get off for the day after?
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: sjlimmer on March 17, 2005, 05:35:16 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I'm just hoping I don't get an Irish-style beatdown.  They take St. Pat's way too seriously out here (the college students get the day off, fer gawds sake), and I have a habit of bad-mouthing this particular "holiday."

Shouldn't they get off for the day after?


Actually, they're on "spring recess" right now, which is basically a four-day weekend for no good reason.

This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
http://web.umr.edu/~stpats/events/snakes.html

Quote from: "Jough"
You could alternately read some Irish Poetry.

I was thinking some Swift, personally.  A Modest Proposal for everyone!
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: robot_roll_call on March 17, 2005, 05:55:00 pm
I totally wore my green Ray shirt on accident.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 17, 2005, 06:23:17 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"


This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
http://web.umr.edu/~stpats/events/snakes.html


This is just plain silly. And in the middle of Missouri for chrissakes.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Bozack on March 17, 2005, 09:46:55 pm
I'm wearing a green shirt that I had to febreeze because the last time I wore it, I stood in an English giraffe and chips shop for 30 minutes and so I smelled like I had been deep fried, Mars bar stylezzzz, and my Pogues shirt underneath. I'm feeling the Irish Prydeeee.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2005, 01:47:28 am
I wore my Lyle's "enjoy any time" Achewater shirt yesterday, because I got it in charcoal, not green. Today, I'm wearing an Urban Outfitters' shirt (green) which reads "I'm a drinker, not a fighter" around a white four-leaved shamrock.

I haven't been to work in a couple days. I'm ill, did I mention that?
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 18, 2005, 03:02:51 pm
Yesterday I wore a kilt.  There is no better way to get women to want to peek at your (my) junk.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Mite on March 18, 2005, 04:35:47 pm
I did not celebrate St Pat's day, as I am not Irish. However, on March 16th, I of course paid homage to the one and only St. Urho (http://www.helsinki.fi/~pkaartin/sturho.html), who drove the grasshoppers from Finland.

--grew up 8 miles from the giant statue of him
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 18, 2005, 06:44:29 pm
We went to Benigan's for happy hour yesterday.  They played the Numa Numa song on the stereo there.  Because it's all Irish an' shit.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 18, 2005, 07:20:17 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
I did not celebrate St Pat's day, as I am not Irish. However, on March 16th, I of course paid homage to the one and only St. Urho (http://www.helsinki.fi/~pkaartin/sturho.html), who drove the grasshoppers from Finland.

--grew up 8 miles from the giant statue of him


This is awesome. I don't understand why the original tale from 1956 talks about poisonous frogs, though. That is one righteous statue.
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2005, 08:48:24 pm
1956?
Title: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 18, 2005, 09:46:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
1956?


Quote from: "St Urho Site"

According to the legend, St. Urho was hailed into existence in St. Patrick's party in the 17th of March in 1956. St. Patrick an Irish legend, who've been claimed to expel the snakes from Ireland. Richard Mattson, a departmental manager at the Ketola department store in Virginia really knocked this story down. He told immense stories of a Finnish saint, who's spell drove the poisonous frogs out of Finland.
Title: Re: 03/17/06: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2006, 07:22:54 pm
There is a St. Patricks Day parade in Price.  I've never seen a St. Paddy's day parade before and i'm off of work that day so....  I might check it out.

~Paul
 
Title: Re: 03/17/05: Blarney Spoken Here
Post by: CortJstr on March 14, 2006, 07:27:16 pm
I was invited to march in the DC parade but didn't feel good that day. Apparently they'll let any group in for any reason. There's not even a fee or anything. Our theme was going to be "we all happen to know this guy Thoreau. He has a lame vanity page on Wikipedia but we like him anyway."