The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Bozack on March 22, 2005, 04:15:39 am

Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Bozack on March 22, 2005, 04:15:39 am
It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?

The Japanese call large trash "sodai gomi!"
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2005, 01:47:06 pm
OK, I'll bite. What the hell is junk week?
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 22, 2005, 02:34:05 pm
The week when your trash hauler says it's OK to put out big-ass items.
Title: Re: Junk Week!
Post by: miles on March 22, 2005, 04:06:06 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?


This is pretty much cooler than anything ever.  Let me know if you see any bookshelves.
Title: Re: Junk Week!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2005, 05:22:15 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?


I'm guessing you can afford to travel like that because you don't pay for your electronic equipment?
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2005, 05:45:11 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The week when your trash hauler says it's OK to put out big-ass items.

Ah, when I lived in Ashburn this was never because large items are unsightly. Driveway/garage door basketball hoops were banned for the same reason. Now I live in an appt so we just have a TrashCo waste disposal unit.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2005, 06:02:29 pm
They don't ever have this in Portland, either (AFAIK). It's too bad, because I have a microwave that didn't survive the drive from AK, and the plastic on the door is cracked. The screen that keeps the waves in is fine, though. Still, my wife made me buy a new one. I'm thinking of finding that site that discusses all the microwave experiments and setting it up in the garage. Once it's sutiably thrashed, I guess I'll have to take it to the dump myself.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2005, 06:30:17 pm
It's first Monday of every month [in my neighborhood] just pile it out on the side of the street and Men with big trucks and machines will come and haul it off while you are away at work.  There was a problem recently when a man tore down his entire garage and put it out there for the junk [or heavy trash they call it] collectors. He had to go to court, but eventually they agreed to take it away.  I thought that was amazing.

~Paul
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Bozack on March 22, 2005, 07:22:05 pm
My dad actually found some bookshelves; we're building a new base for them now.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: slink on March 22, 2005, 07:57:14 pm
People would complain so bad if that happened over here, great idea as it is. If you have a skip outside your house, it is illegal for anyone else to even drop anything in it!
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2005, 08:32:18 pm
We have a dump that is free to county residents.  Until last year I took all our trash to the dump every Saturday.  Finally I broke down and hired a trash company.  But if I have big stuff to get rid of I just throw it in the truck and toodle off to the dump.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2005, 09:16:38 pm
My quasi-in-laws take all their trash to the dump. The county makes you apply for a permit ahead of time. Apparently some unscrupulous people will take their trash to other counties' dumps and let those taxpayers worry about it.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Gimpson on March 22, 2005, 10:55:07 pm
I haven't had much success with Big Trash Day here in Kansas, but I almost completely furnished my computer room with things off of freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org).
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Skillator on March 23, 2005, 12:06:40 am
Your country is amazing!
Here you are limited to two garbage bags a week. Anything else you have to take to the dump and pay to unload. It's quite a travesty.
Next Time I have garbage I'm crossing the border. You can deal with it.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2005, 12:17:56 am
In Canada, garbage . . . oh, screw it.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Skillator on March 23, 2005, 01:03:34 am
Was that an almost canada joke?
Why you gotta hate so bad?
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2005, 02:37:00 am
You don't remember Yakov Smirnoff?
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: miles on March 23, 2005, 06:02:13 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
My dad actually found some bookshelves; we're building a new base for them now.


Godamn it!  I really need some!  They need junk week here.
Title: Junk Week!
Post by: sjlimmer on March 23, 2005, 03:34:01 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bozack"
My dad actually found some bookshelves; we're building a new base for them now.


Godamn it!  I really need some!  They need junk week here.


They had it when I was growing up in SLC, and it looks like they still do:
http://www.slcgov.com/publicservices/streets/nbrhdclean.htm

I'm not sure about the other cities there in the valley, but at least you can grab stuff in SLC propper.