The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 23, 2005, 04:31:15 am
-
I took this picture a while ago and forgot about it until now.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN7330-E-S-500.jpg)
It's an easy target, but...
~Paul
-
Um, I'm pretty sure that Sheer Lingerie in size 6X is also known as "Mosquito Netting".
-
Wow, a fat guy making fun of fat women.
Now the internet is complete.
Good show, Paul.
-
That was unkind but possibly called for (on Jough's part). Still and all, 6x lingerie does have a certain je ne c'est pas.
-
I'm not making fun of fat women perse, but rather the audacity of 6x lingerie.
Were I thin would this thread be less tasteless?
~Paul
-
This thread would still be tasteless and cruel, but not in the WTF hypocritical way it is now.
And what, 6X women aren't allowed to wear lingerie?
What THE fuck?
-
Hey, I'm a fat guy married to a fat woman and I think it's funny.
-
Yeah, I don't know - maybe I've been over-sensitized after being married to two people who had various degrees of issues about weight, but I can't get behind this. It's a subject that makes me wildly uncomfortable when used for humor purposes.
-
I actually thought that being fat myself would give me license to have fun at the expense of the fat.
Of all the things we've joked about who knew this would hit a nerve.
~Paul
-
This thread would still be tasteless and cruel, but not in the WTF hypocritical way it is now.
And what, 6X women aren't allowed to wear lingerie?
What THE fuck?
Jough is all about women in their lingerie dude, like, no matter what!
You got served!
-
I'll go with Paul having some license to point out the humor in 6x lingerie.
Jough hosts the board, so he should distance himself from controversial topics.
"Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management".
etc.
And as for 6x women not being allowed to wear lingerie....well, I prefer my 6x women butt-nekkid, but that's just me....
-
Yeah, alright, I'll admit my preference of women of all shapes and sizes to be clad in lingerie at any given time.
And hey, I see no need to distance myself from any topics. Paul's entitled to his opinion just as I am. I'm not trying to stop anyone from saying anything here. Just pointing out that they're a donkey-raping cockmaster when they do, is all.
-
I didn't realize this was a fat gals thing. I thought it was lingerie for She-Hulk or possibly Cornelius' beloved Ekaterina/Volleyzilla. There is more than one way to reach 6X.
-
Eh, I dunno. To reach 6X, you've pretty much gotta be growing in ALL directions.
-
Yeah, I think volleyzilla would be lost in the ample seat of some 6x giraffenets. And she'd fall right through the crotchless panties.
-
Uh, Jough, is it OK if we make fun of women who sit on cakes or will that upset you too?
-
Maybe the 6x means it's twice as dirty as triple x.
~Paul
-
Why would you make fun of women who sit on cakes?
I swear, you people are weird.
-
Conceded on the Volleyzilla point. I would have just said She-Hulk but I do not want people to think that I am just a comic-book guy. I am also a comic-strips-about-talking-animals guy.
-
Just pointing out that they're a donkey-raping cockmaster when they do, is all.
While working at Sears, I sold a product called the cockmaster. Actually it was the Caulk Master, but customers still got upset when I suggested they buy one. I put it on the shelf next to the (billiards) Shaft Slicker and the (auto repair) Ding King. The resulting laughter kept me sane for weeks.
-
I would just walk through any old department and say that.
Furniture? Cool. "Buy a cockmaster today, folks!"
-
Just pointing out that they're a donkey-raping cockmaster when they do, is all.
While working at Sears, I sold a product called the cockmaster. Actually it was the Caulk Master, but customers still got upset when I suggested they buy one. I put it on the shelf next to the (billiards) Shaft Slicker and the (auto repair) Ding King. The resulting laughter kept me sane for weeks.
You, sir, are rad.
Anyway, I confess I'm still confused about the "humor" here precisely works. So it's not making fun of fat women, just fat women who want to buy lingerie? Oh... kay...
(Google seems to think that this thread deserves a sponsor link to something on Crohn's and colitis. I'm not sure whether that's pitiful or hilarious. Leaning towards "hilarious," though.)
-
Would you see the same lack of humor in a sign advertising
Speedo's for fat men?
-
No, speedos are inherently funny, whereas lingerie is not.
Seriously, you should know this, counselor!
-
Would you see the same lack of humor in a sign advertising
Speedo's for fat men?
Hell, I still bust out that image of Prince Faud from Saudi Arabia in the speedo from the 70's as evidence of humor in this department.
I basically call that particular school of beachwear "grape smugglers".
I mean really, people. What the hell?
-
It is my opinion that skinny dudes and fat dudes alike look pretty silly in Speedos with the possible exception of professional or semi-professional swimmers. Even in the case of guys who are not bad to look at they look pretty silly in Speedos. But then again I am not as fond of looking at guys who are not bad to look at as some people are, so perhaps my view is not so close to the target audience's.
-
what if the rilly big and large garter belts, push up bras, and thong panties are for FAT MEN?
is it ok to laugh at that?
-
It is my opinion that skinny dudes and fat dudes alike look pretty silly in Speedos with the possible exception of professional or semi-professional swimmers.
Actually being able to look good in a speedo is how the universe makes up for them having to shave their bodies.
-
Would you see the same lack of humor in a sign advertising Speedo's for fat men?
Me? Yeah.
I think that both Speedos and lingerie are equally inherently funny, though. (Assuming one is talking about... not your greatest lingerie here.)
-
Mmmm, double-posting...
It is my opinion that skinny dudes and fat dudes alike look pretty silly in Speedos with the possible exception of professional or semi-professional swimmers. Even in the case of guys who are not bad to look at they look pretty silly in Speedos. But then again I am not as fond of looking at guys who are not bad to look at as some people are, so perhaps my view is not so close to the target audience's.
Speaking as someone who presumably is in the target audience, I have never seen a guy in a Speedo who looked even slightly good in it. Then again, I'm also not greatly fond of the sort of guys who are supposed to look good in Speedos, mostly because (no offense, possible swimming guys on this board) swimming guys just have a prissiness problem. I am willing to yield that a guy can shave his entire body and still be manly, but the whole showing-off-your-shaved-body-that-kind-of-looks-like-someone-defoliated-an-otter thing is kind of odd.
-
i would posit that a difference exists between speedo wearers,
such that there would be two Archetypes:
1- i wear a speedo because i swim competitively. to the end that i will win my competitions, i will wear ridiculously tight and small swimming apparel and shave every single hair on my body. you know that medieval torture device that your girlfriend uses to RIP the hair out of her body? the one that makes you cringe thinking about it? ya, i've used that. i am a warrior, a water warrior, and i shall vanguish all that oppose me. rhhaaaawww!!
2- i am at the beach, and i am sexy, and you know you want me. where's my cd player, i have to put that Rod Stewart song on. Garcon! Bring me my drink that has an umbrella in it! some sexy lady, immediately rub oil upon my body!
i would also posit that both are ridiculous, but for possibly different reasons.
my next step, of course, is to attempt to get a govt grant to continue this intrinsically important research.
to stay on topic, i think any gender and any size that wears an inflatable bra, and then they pump up the inflaters to the point that they pop,
now,
that's funny.
-
to stay on topic, i think any gender and any size that wears an inflatable bra, and then they pump up the inflaters to the point that they pop,
now,
that's funny.
Spontaneous lingerie explosions will never not be funny.
-
what if the rilly big and large garter belts, push up bras, and thong panties are for FAT MEN?
is it ok to laugh at that?
Yes, but kicking their ass down the alley you met them in is still unacceptable.
The unspoken thing throughout this discussion is the concept of 'fat acceptance' and what kind of amusement you derive from the image of an overweight or obese woman in lingerie. I can find the concept funny, a cartoon might be funny, but a photo or a real woman in front of me in lingerie would not be funny. There is a difference between a humorous fictional concept and a cruel reality (the cruelty being amusement or entertainment derived by the objectification / depersonalization of the o/w or obese woman)
As for fat acceptance, if you want to comment on that, go ahead but that's a minefield. I personally believe that in most cases, being within a reasonable percentage of your 'optimal' weight for your body type is healthy and I try to look at overly skinny and overly heavy people as equally unhealthy although the panoply of bad outcomes is a little broader for those who are overweight. I don't think as a society it is good to celebrate or promote any inherently unhealthy lifestyle and it's really a public health issue that's only starting to get the attention it deserves.
-
what if the rilly big and large garter belts, push up bras, and thong panties are for FAT MEN?
is it ok to laugh at that?
Yes, but kicking their ass down the alley you met them in is still unacceptable.
One would assume that it is ok to laugh at clowns, and yet own would also assume that it is not acceptable to kick a clowns ass down an alley.
The unspoken thing throughout this discussion is the concept of 'fat acceptance' and what kind of amusement you derive from the image of an overweight or obese woman in lingerie.
when the thread was openned, and i first gazed upon the picture of the lingerie store sign and i saw "6x", a large woman did not materialize in my head, but a very large thing panty did.
is the comedy portion of my brane as stunted as the other portions, yes. however, the juxtaposition of the concept of a thong panty (to me, string with an extremely small "patch" of "material") versus the actuallity of a 6x size thong panty (to me, string with an extremely large "patch" of "material") is funny.
so, to me, the presented reality of something that is the utter opposite of my accepted, conceptualized, expectation is comedic.
so, for this particular person, the acceptance (or unacceptance) of the variability of a gender's weight had nothing to do with it.
from my point of view, those who are "Accepting" of gender weight variability are the ones who brought up gender weight variability to begin with, whereas those [specifically, me] who thought the original pciture constituted "humor" and are now being accused of both being unaccepting of gender weight variability AND of beating up in alleys those with variabilty of their gender's weight had originally not thought specifically about gender weight variability at all.
I can find the concept funny, a cartoon might be funny, but a photo or a real woman in front of me in lingerie would not be funny. There is a difference between a humorous fictional concept and a cruel reality (the cruelty being amusement or entertainment derived by the objectification / depersonalization of the o/w or obese woman)
indeed, there is a difference. and while i certainly would accept the fact that i am an insensitive asshole, i assumed that when i looked at the photo of a storefront with no people or persons present, that i was looking at a photo-representational-concept of an incredibly large thong panty, as oppsed to the cruel reality of an incredibly large thong panty.
As for fat acceptance, if you want to comment on that, go ahead but that's a minefield. I personally believe that in most cases, being within a reasonable percentage of your 'optimal' weight for your body type is healthy and I try to look at overly skinny and overly heavy people as equally unhealthy although the panoply of bad outcomes is a little broader for those who are overweight. I don't think as a society it is good to celebrate or promote any inherently unhealthy lifestyle and it's really a public health issue that's only starting to get the attention it deserves.
personally, i had hoped that to a certain extent that the News Media would have used the soapbox it had built out of the Mrs. Schiavo Tragedy to educate the "public" a little in regards to the obviously (in regards to the Tragedy) inherent dangers within eating disorders.
-
Speaking as someone who presumably is in the target audience, I have never seen a guy in a Speedo who looked even slightly good in it.
Not even that Michael Phelps dude? I thought the ladies lerrrrrrrrrved him.
-
Not even that Michael Phelps dude? I thought the ladies lerrrrrrrrrved him.
Guys too, he's the hunkiest.
~Paul
-
Speaking as someone who presumably is in the target audience, I have never seen a guy in a Speedo who looked even slightly good in it.
Not even that Michael Phelps dude? I thought the ladies lerrrrrrrrrved him.
Well, I don't.
Also, Arkabee, I am not sure if you actually made a good point or if I'm just blinded by what appears to be a reference to the platonic concept of 6X thong under#####, but... wow. The platonic concept of 6X thong under#####, from which all 6X thong under##### reflect like dim shadows on the walls of the cave. This is an excellent comedy idea.
-
By "platonic" are you referring to the inherent "pantiness" of a 6x panty? The essence as it were?
Also, Ark, I can't figure out from your post if you are calling me an asshole or not, so could you clarify? I just meant to point out the difference between laughing at something and laughing at someone is all, while secondarily musing over our society's occupation with image, weight, and norming of the human aesthetic.
-
By "platonic" are you referring to the inherent "pantiness" of a 6x panty? The essence as it were?
Also, Ark, I can't figure out from your post if you are calling me an asshole or not, so could you clarify? I just meant to point out the difference between laughing at something and laughing at someone is all, while secondarily musing over our society's occupation with image, weight, and norming of the human aesthetic.
i am indeed NOT calling you an asshole.
i did, however, attempt to "call you on" what i perceived to be a slight, possible, attempt at suggesting that i was kicking fat people in lingerie's asses down dark alleys. i do, in fact, NOT do that, nor do i find it funny in and of itself. other, unknown aspects might lend humor to the situation, however, such as slippage on banana peels.
I appreciate your difference pointing out, and was attempting to conversate in regards to that subject, and not attempting to call you an asshole.
-
If you're walking down the street and you fall into an open manhole, that's tragedy.
If you see your boss walking down the street and fall into an open manhole, that's comedy.
-
I guess by quoting you, it looks like I was addressing you - I just used your post as a jump off, I wasn't responding directly...sorry if that was ambiguous.
So a Schlemiel is the guy that falls in the manhole and
a Schlemazzle is the guy standing under the manhole with the Schlemiel coming down? Is that right?
And which one is funnier?
-
Other than this spelling of schlamazzel which I've never seen before that's basically it. Iirc schlamazzel translates more or less as "Never anything good".