The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 23, 2005, 05:16:22 am
-
Why is the other weight thread locked?
Anyway, I've been meaning to mention that my weight loss efforts have proceeded apace. I had been struggling mightiily since this past Thanksgiving, but for the past 5 weeks i've regained the groove I was in before and as of tonights weigh in I am back into virgin weight loss. It's 103.4 pounds total thus far. Just wanted to share that.
My key to sucess is exercise
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3276-E-500.jpg)
Tennis Anyone
-
I probably locked it only because it was 6 months since anyone posted. I'll be happy to reopen it and move this post over there, or let this new topic stand.
And congrats on your continuing weight loss. That's really hard to do because it involves so many really ingrained behaviors and requires changing how you think and how you live. Kudos, seriously.
Although I wasn't significantly overweight, I've been swimming a couple times a week for the last month and i've been losing weight and inches around the belly and gaining inches in the upper body and arms. It's working well.
-
Good jorb Paul!
I exercise regularly (3-4 days per week), but I still eat and drink too much so my weight is pretty stable.
Also as to why the thread may have been locked, there were some board-wide issues a while ago while you were gone. I think all threads prior to that point are locked. They can be unlocked, but they automatically defaulted to locked.
-
Way to go Paul!
I actually noticed your weight loss (in spite of the hair bib) in your barbershop photo, but didn't comment.
My SO and I work out 3 days a week at the YMCA, and it is truly fun to stay at the YMCA (for brief spans of time and not including the public showering thing.)
-
if anyone is looking for an exercise routine i highly recommend boxing. i started doing that like three months ago and now i have hell of biceps.
-
Rock, Paul. I have been thinking of the weight thread the last few weeks myself. I let things get away from me over the past 6+ months, but I'm getting back into it and have lost about ten pounds (elliptical machine, mostly, with some ab work).
-
I successfully quit smoking back in September, and proceeded to gain about 30 pounds after quitting. I have ten of that off since the beginning of the year. What seems to be helping is Racquetball and Weights.
I'm kind of upset with my gym right now and looking for a different place to go, but there aren't many other gyms in town that have racquetball. I think I can live without it, but I think a big piece of what has kept me going to the gym is knowing that someone else is counting on me to be there.
-
Hey Paul, keep it up and EVERYONE will think you're a dick when you make fun of fat chicks.
:up:
-
Flag on the play: crossposting and off topic.
No stalking people around the board simply to flame them.
Add 10 seconds to the clock. Replay second down.
-
Congrats on the weight-loss. That's fantastic. Hardly to be believed.
Here's a recap on the Chubbo Picasso story:
- JL and I went on weightwatchers.
- I lost a little weight.
- JL got pregnant and went off weightwatchers.
- I gained back most of it.
- JL gave birth. We started losing sleep.
- I lost five pounds.
- The baby's doing great, and we're sleeping okay.
- I'm almos back where I started.
Monday I go back to the office, as opposed to working from home. I think I'll get back on my caring-what-I-eat routine then.
Excelsior!
-
virgin weight loss
I love that term, don't know why.
Also, OH AWESOME! Congratulations! Since we're not real well acquainted this probably seems a bit of a hoaky compliment but I have many relatives who have struggled with their weight for a long long time and I can appreciate from observation, at least, the work you must really be doing. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.
Have a nice day.
(and, yes, I'm up for tennis)
-
I'm also on the weight-loss tip, Paul! Congrats on your already considerable achievement, and good wishes for going forward. Leafy greens, dude, I'm telling you.
I managed to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 2 weeks of when my baby was born. Unfortunately, my pre-preg weight was nothing to be proud of--190lbs. I'm 5'8" tall, so I need to lose about 50 lbs. I have an unfair advantage in that breastfeeding alone burns at least 500 calories per day.
-
I have an unfair advantage in that breastfeeding alone burns at least 500 calories per day.
That's great! How long do I have to feed for to burn 500 calories?
-
For 15-45 minutes every 1-3 hours.
-
For 15-45 minutes every 1-3 hours.
Hmm . . . well, I'll ask my wife, but I think that's going to be too much of a time commitment for her. She'll probably just tell me to get on my damn bicycle.
-
For 15-45 minutes every 1-3 hours.
Hmm . . . well, I'll ask my wife, but I think that's going to be too much of a time commitment for her. She'll probably just tell me to get on my damn bicycle.
who wants to start a company producing and selling this latest scientific weight loss program? breast feed the pounds off! or, pound off while breast feeding?
on a more serious note, am i the only one surprised noone has developed a "masturbate the weight away" weight loss program yet? or, in a similar to the auto-manufacturers killing people who develop fuel efficient carberator conspiracy theory, do you think the porn industry has put the brakes on it already?
also, givent he 30bil/year profits MNBA etc et al make that allow them to get congress to pass legislation to forcibly sodomize the American Voter, one would think the Porn Industry would get a lot more Legislative Action.
-
on a more serious note, am i the only one surprised noone has developed a "masturbate the weight away" weight loss program yet?
When I was on the wrestling team I knew a guy who looked up how many calories the average ejactulation had. The idea being he could rub one out, then eat that many calories at dinner without gaining weight. He did manage to stay about 20 lbs under his natural body weight.
-
That's outstanding.
I wonder if significant numbers of people with serious weigh issues have depression, body image, and even physical circumstances that would make masturbating your way to better health unlikely, difficult or even impossible.
"The Road to Wellville" discussed a Victorian-era method whereby male 'doctors' stimulated the genitals of female patients during 'therapy' sessions meant to relieve the womb of tension and bad humors. Sort of the analogue to the good old 'happy ending' you can still get at your finer body-shampoo establishments.
-
In the Victorian era, the female orgasm was not scientifically recognized and these treatments were performed for hysteria by real medical doctors.
There was a Japanese study done on what positions and techniques made for the most effective masturbation-based calorie burning. I don't have a link handy but it was all over the net a while back.
-
I'd just like to point out that Justice Scalia would not approve of such an exercise program.
-
I'd just like to point out that Justice Scalia would not approve of such an exercise program.
Sure, but Former Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders would have been all for it.
-
I'd just like to point out that Justice Scalia would not approve of such an exercise program.
Sure, but Former Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders would have been all for it.
Oh yeah. She would have had it replace rope climbing in gym classes across America.
I must say, though I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last year or so, my masturbation habits have remained largely the same. I don't think it burns enough calories. Sex, on the other hand...
-
I'd just like to point out that Justice Scalia would not approve of such an exercise program.
Sure, but Former Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders would have been all for it.
Oh yeah. She would have had it replace rope climbing in gym classes across America.
I must say, though I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last year or so, my masturbation habits have remained largely the same. I don't think it burns enough calories. Sex, on the other hand...
It's clearly dependent on how you do it.
-
I'm also on the weight-loss tip, Paul! Congrats on your already considerable achievement, and good wishes for going forward. Leafy greens, dude, I'm telling you.
I managed to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 2 weeks of when my baby was born. Unfortunately, my pre-preg weight was nothing to be proud of--190lbs. I'm 5'8" tall, so I need to lose about 50 lbs. I have an unfair advantage in that breastfeeding alone burns at least 500 calories per day.
Thanks for the pat on the back Va, I appreciate that. And congrats to you as well on shedding your extra pounds. Unfortunately, mention of your method has sent this thread into a downward spiral. Clean it up in here people, c'mon.
~Paul
-
virgin weight loss
I love that term, don't know why.
Oh I do. It's because you enjoy robbing tender young virgins of their innocence. Poor young Bozak, he was such a sweet lad before he met you.
J/K, thanks for the encouragement. To all the rest of you as well, it helps, thanks.
(and, yes, I'm up for tennis)
Let's see your tennis photo. Preferably wearing one of those short pleated skirts.
~Paul
-
Oh yeah. She would have had it replace rope climbing in gym classes across America.
Did people actually have to do this? I always just thought it was one of those things that pop culture invented for jokes. Like slide-rules or showering after gym class.
-
We climbed the rope. It was about 1 1/2" across with a huge knot at the bottom. We had to go to the ceiling of the Gym.
It was one of the gym-type things I could do pretty well.
-
Did people actually have to do this? I always just thought it was one of those things that pop culture invented for jokes. Like slide-rules or showering after gym class.
I never had to climb a rope, but I taught myself to use a slide rule in high school. This proves that I was a dork in high school. The fact that I'm still proud of that accomplishment proves that I still am.
-
I climbed the damn rope, and it sucked. Nothing like tearing your hands raw to entertain the gym teacher.
-
He was staring up your shorts at your tidy whities the whole time, too.
-
He was staring up your shorts at your tidy whities the whole time, too.
I thought it was "tighty whities"
-
Yeah, your mother may tell you to make sure you're wearing clean underware in case you're in an accident or something, but it's "tighty whities" because they keep your boys snug.
My whities are both tight and tidy, however.
Also, I bought new "Hanes" under##### and they have a grey waistband, which I don't like. If I'm wearing white undies I want them to be all white. Dammit.
-
Mine are tighty and tidy and you're right, it's tightie, I type phonetically sometimes which is really weird.
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
Stupid brains.
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
do folkers who are purposefully intense cause you troubles?
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
do folkers who are purposefully intense cause you troubles?
Nah, it's the porpoises in tents that he can't wrap his mind around. HOW DO THEY STAY WET?!?
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
Um, that is correct. The expression is "for all intents and purposes."
Did you mean to type it wrong but then typed it right by accident? That must be some other kind of brain-o.
-
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.
It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
Um, that is correct. The expression is "for all intents and purposes."
Did you mean to type it wrong but then typed it right by accident? That must be some other kind of brain-o.
No, I meant it took me years to realize that was the expression since I'd never seen it written down. I thought it was "intensive purposes" or some such.
-
No, I meant it took me years to realize that was the expression since I'd never seen it written down. I thought it was "intensive purposes" or some such.
I've seen it written like that many a time. Then again there are so many expressions I see typed in wrong on various fora, and it bugs the hell out of me, but I can't remember any of the gems off the top of my head.
It makes me think of Jocelyn in Twin Peaks who gets expressions slightly wrong all the time ("Push the plug")!
-
I've seen it written like that many a time. Then again there are so many expressions I see typed in wrong on various fora, and it bugs the hell out of me, but I can't remember any of the gems off the top of my head.
There's a whole database of em here (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/).
-
I'm famous!
<><><><><><><><>><><>><>
tighty-whitey » tidy-whitey, tidy-widy
Classification: English – genuine
Spotted in the wild:
* Fruit of the Loom underwear gave nearly 100 percent of its corporate donations to tidy-whitey-wearing Republicans… (Gay and Lesbian Review, March-April 2005, p. 4)
The rhyming expression “tighty-whitey” or (plural) “tighty-whities” for ‘men’s briefs’ has been in use since at least 1990, sometimes in this order, occasionally with the elements reversed (”whitey-tighty”, “whitey-tighties”), and with several variant spellings (”tightie-whitie” and the like). Thanks to intervocalic flapping, “tighty” (with reference to tightness) was open to reinterpretation as “tidy” (with reference to neatness and cleanliness, certainly desirable qualities in underwear). See the discussion in my Language Log posting Tidy-whiteys.
The “whitey” element is open to reinterpretation for the same reasons, as “widy” (with reference to width), and at least a few speakers seem to have reanalyzed it, as Mark Liberman observed in his Language Log posting Raising and lowered those tighty whities.
-
A friend of mine used to work for a credit company and he processed complaints. He kept track of the horrible writing and english that people used, but the only one I can remember is that someone asked for something to be taken off his credit report because "it would be a nice jester on your part."
We still laugh about this.
-
Also, I see people use "chomping at the bit" instead of "champing at the bit" all the time. He's not biting it, people, he's pulling against it. You know, like a hoss.
Also, people misuse "ballistic" to mean the opposite of its actual meaning. When someone is "going ballistic" it means that they're getting tired, going to sleep, etc., not getting crazy and excitable. The ballistic trajectory of a falling object (like a bomb or a rocket) is when it is unpowered and FALLING.
-
I hate the misuse of the word "literally." Some people seem to think it's a form of emphasis. I was watching a football game and after a sack the color guy said "He literally took his head off." NO, fuck*ng moron, if he had literally taken the quarterback's head off there would be blood all over the goddamned place, and you and everyone else in the stadium would be shrieking in horror.
-
david cross would like $10 from you for ripping him off.
i stopped writing 'one another' for a long time because i thought it must just be a phonetic representation of 'one and other,' but i kept seeing people write it the former way so i just went back to it. i still suspect it's incorrect, though.
-
Tangentially if not on topic:
* I still have trouble remembering that 'eachother' is not a word.
* "Head over heels" was originally "heels over head," and it made more sense that way.
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish. "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.
* Is anybody else tired of hearing the construction "in the wake of" on the evening news. Find a new phrase, people.
-
* "Head over heels" was originally "heels over head," and it made more sense that way.
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish. "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.
Thanks Pedro! I always wondered about those two, especially the latter.
-
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish. "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.
This has always bugged me but when I bitch about everybody says I'm nuts.
-
And then there's "towing the line". People have also started mixing up "sight" and "site", and "phase" and "faze".
-
Yeah, I see people write about my "web sight" all the damn time.
I guess they were out the day they taught English in skool.
-
I'm back on WeightWatchers, but I found their points formula so I'll probably stop paying them for access to their internet tools. I like their internet tools, but I do that stuff for a living. I don't need to pay other people for it. The formula was filed in one of their patents. That's how a website I read got a hold of it. They should have made it a trade secret instead. Had they done so, they could sue me for telling you.
50 calories = 1 point
1g fat = 1/12 point
1g fiber = -1/5 point (but you can only count up to four grams of fiber per food)
I get 24 points a day and 35 points to spread over a week. It's a great system. Congrats to them. I'll keep track of it in a text file now and stop paying them monthly. Hurray!
Back off topic, I doggedly detest the effects of people forgetting that the verb is affect.
-
Do you have the illicit Weight Watchers Palm application? Lets you track your food 'n' points every day. You can enter calories 'n' fat 'n' fiber and it computes the points for you. You can also enter workout info and it'll calculate that too. It's rad. Or, it would be rad if I was actually doing Weight Watchers right now instead of being a big fatass.
-
Hey y'alls. Finally replaced my keyboard so's I can delurk occasionally.
I bulked up a bit over winter, but I'm down 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. Just in time to hit Florida next week! Yeehaw!
Also, I'm now searching for published screw ups to document on that site. Can't wait!
-
Hey y'alls. Finally replaced my keyboard so's I can delurk occasionally.
I bulked up a bit over winter, but I'm down 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. Just in time to hit Florida next week! Yeehaw!
Also, I'm now searching for published screw ups to document on that site. Can't wait!
Glad to see you Mite. Don't be such a stranger.
-
I have a thing when I'm reading misuse of 'assure', 'ensure' and 'insure'.
They are three different words with different meanings, people.
-
It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker, but lately it seems that all the dictionaries and styles guides have given up and changed the definition of hacker to be what people think it is, instead of what it really was.
Clearly I'm not bothered by run-on sentences.
-
It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker
That will ALWAYS piss me off.
-
It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker
That will ALWAYS piss me off.
I think I've let it go somewhat, seeing as how I am no longer young and cool, and think about it very little. Or something. Maybe I'm just too busy to be angered by it...
-
I wouldn't care if the the word "hacker", in its true sense (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/hacker.html), did not apply to most of my absolutely favorite people in the world. The mass media have spoilt a perfectly wonderful word.
As an aside, I just typed "jargon file" into my browser's address bar and this (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/) automagically came up, and I'm not even sure how. I love the internet.
-
As an aside, I just typed "jargon file" into my browser's address bar and this (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/) automagically came up, and I'm not even sure how. I love the internet.
I spent a good deal of time in college poring of the "New Hacker's Dictionary". Eric Raymond may not be up to maintaining his mustache, but he sure keeps a good dictionary. And an email program. And a harem.