The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2005, 05:37:18 am

Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2005, 05:37:18 am
I used to never pay attention to stories like this one (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050324/ap_on_re_us/plant_explosion), but now that I work in a Chemical plant shit like this scares the hell out of me.

The plant where I work had a fire two years ago, about 1/1000th. as bad as this one (Only one guy got seriously injured, no one dead), and the plant where I work is only about 1/10th. the size of this one, but still the possibility of it blowing sky high (and taking me with it) exist.

~Paul
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: slink on March 24, 2005, 07:42:04 am
Dude, you work in a chemical factory? Ouch. How is it and what quite do you do?
My uncle used to be a fireman and was in the catchment area (as it were) of ICI, which terrified him.
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: AugustWest on March 24, 2005, 03:13:27 pm
Fear can be an excellent motivator, especially to remember safety procedures.

Your pal,

AW
General Counsel
State Fire Marshal's Office
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 24, 2005, 10:16:43 pm
Aug, is that a new job that quick?
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: jough on March 24, 2005, 10:28:22 pm
Yeah, I was wondering that too.  I know you worked for the state before so I didn't know if this was what you did all this time or if you had a NEW job... with the state of KY.

KY: The Jelly State!
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2005, 10:52:37 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Dude, you work in a chemical factory? Ouch. How is it and what quite do you do?


I'm a piping designer, which is bottom feeding in the drafting world, but the refineries and chemical plants pay well.  And I like it just fine, the work is easy and most of the people are pretty nice and easy to deal with.  By the nature of my job I don't have to deal with too many people which suits me just fine.  Unfortunately, the only person that I have any problems with is my immediate supervisor who is a complete and utter tool.

~Paul
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 24, 2005, 11:06:13 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
the only person that I have any problems with is my immediate supervisor who is a complete and utter tool.


They all are.
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: AugustWest on March 24, 2005, 11:55:13 pm
No, it's my old job, which I am still hanging in limbo in.

Our agency also licenses plumbers, electricians & HVAC contractors and does all the building code inspections for the state.
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 25, 2005, 12:11:42 am
For some reason I thought  you were a Fed appointee - you're actually a State appointee? I was hoping that, like me, you wind up with a hiring preference.
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2005, 09:50:02 pm
That was a BP refinery, and it pretty much blows part of the way up on a regular basis. I've been getting emails about it for two days straight.
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2005, 04:51:54 pm
Why i'm so concerned about refinery explosions.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN8638-ES500.jpg)
Actually I no longer work in this building, but i'm no less remote from the process than before.  You can't see it in this picture, but just behind the reactors are 7 20k gallon propylene storage tanks.  

~Paul
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: slink on April 02, 2005, 07:22:00 pm
If it's any consolation I will probably be suffering terrible respiratory illness in 5 years due to scary printing substances.
OK, maybe not so much...
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2005, 08:20:25 pm
I will be developing rat allergies any day now. That or superpowers, I think.

Anyway, best of luck to Paul in avoiding explosions. At least you're not directly on the line...
Title: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
Post by: arkabee on April 04, 2005, 01:20:23 pm
geeze lousie dude, now would apparently not be a good time to take up smoking as a recreational hobby.