The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2005, 06:39:07 pm

Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2005, 06:39:07 pm
Saw the Mountain Goats last night, pretty sweet.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3609-E-400.jpg)
A special boy and a special Goat

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3604-E-400.jpg)
Hail Satan!!!

~Paul
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: jough on March 25, 2005, 07:18:32 pm
So Paul, I've been wondering - do you ask a friend who came with you to snap photos of you all the time, or do you trust strangers enough to take your photo and not run off with your camera?

Because I have a severe distrust of strangers, especially since there's no way I could catch them if they ran off (not without my heart/lungs exploding anyway).
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2005, 07:37:45 pm
This is Texas the Friendship State, there are no strangers here.

~Paul
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: jough on March 25, 2005, 08:58:12 pm
Oh, that's right.  I forget that you're a Texan.

Yeah, I'd trust people more down South, or in the great sovereign state of Texas.  It's one of my favourite places in the country.

Up here in the north people are unfriendly and untrusting.  In fact, it seems the higher you go the less friendly people become - people in Delaware are nicer than those in Philly, who are in turn nicer than New Yorkers, who are friendlier than people in Boston, etc.

By the time you get to Maine you'd better mind your own business or you'll end up with an ass full of buckshot.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 25, 2005, 09:40:18 pm
I'm way further west and south of all y'all and my experience is a little jaded since there is so much property crime out here....but, most of the time, I would hand my camera to someone to snap a shot.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Bozack on March 26, 2005, 12:04:32 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'm way further west and south of all y'all and my experience is a little jaded since there is so much property crime out here....but, most of the time, I would hand my camera to someone to snap a shot.



Property crime?
Describe. I find your description interesting, and would like to subscribe to your news-letter.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: AugustWest on March 26, 2005, 02:41:42 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'm way further west and south of all y'all and my experience is a little jaded since there is so much property crime out here....but, most of the time, I would hand my camera to someone to snap a shot.



Property crime?
Describe. I find your description interesting, and would like to subscribe to your news-letter.


Property crimes would be crimes against property rather than people.  Theft, vandalism or arson for instance.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 26, 2005, 03:21:18 am
Precisely, as opposed to rape, assault and murder.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: jough on March 26, 2005, 08:34:56 am
I'm sorry, but Hawaii and California do not count as "The North".

The North begins in lower Delaware and extends up the East Coast to Maine.

It goes as far west as West Virginia.  The far reaches of Pennsylvania is really the farthest west The North extends.

Generally the opposite rule is true for the West Coast - the farther north you go the friendlier people are (think of the difference between L.A. and San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Canada).

The mid-west is just... unfortunate.  Outside of Chicago, I'm not sure why we need a large expanse between the coasts.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: slink on March 26, 2005, 09:57:11 am
Canada's in the South then, eh?
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2005, 02:24:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Generally the opposite rule is true for the West Coast - the farther north you go the friendlier people are (think of the difference between L.A. and San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Canada).


That's so true.  Maybe that's why I love Canadians so much.  Another band that played Thursday night was Black Mountain from Vancouver and they were very nice friendly people.
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3616-E-400.jpg)
I'd never heard of these guys, but was impressed enough to buy their CD.  There's is a retro sound, 60's-70's psych rock.

~Paul
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: miles on March 26, 2005, 05:36:48 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
Generally the opposite rule is true for the West Coast - the farther north you go the friendlier people are (think of the difference between L.A. and San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Canada).


That's so true.  Maybe that's why I love Canadians so much.  Another band that played Thursday night was Black Mountain from Vancouver and they were very nice friendly people.
I'd never heard of these guys, but was impressed enough to buy their CD.  There's is a retro sound, 60's-70's psych rock.

~Paul


They were playing when I was in Seattle last, but I couldn't make that show or the Vancouver show, unfortunately.  I've heard their most recent album, and it's pretty good.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: arkabee on March 26, 2005, 06:50:40 pm
Quote from: "jough"

The mid-west is just... unfortunate.  Outside of Chicago, I'm not sure why we need a large expanse between the coasts.


i'll give you a hint:

you like to eat.

hth, hand.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: jough on March 26, 2005, 08:58:20 pm
I import all of my feed from Europe.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Max on March 26, 2005, 09:22:47 pm
since no one else has for whatever reason bothered to say it, let me just mention i think it's really bad ass that you have a picture of yourself with john darnielle and that john darnielle looks pretty concerned about it.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Bozack on March 26, 2005, 09:50:41 pm
Quote from: "Max"
since no one else has for whatever reason bothered to say it, let me just mention i think it's really bad ass that you have a picture of yourself with john darnielle and that john darnielle looks pretty concerned about it.


John Darnielle reminds me of Pluto, from the Mickey penis cartoons. Logic cannot explain this.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2005, 11:28:31 pm
Probably everyone here should have old school pictures for their avatars, and when new people wandered in, they'd wander right back out again.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 26, 2005, 11:31:11 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Max"
since no one else has for whatever reason bothered to say it, let me just mention i think it's really bad ass that you have a picture of yourself with john darnielle and that john darnielle looks pretty concerned about it.


John Darnielle reminds me of Pluto, from the Mickey penis cartoons. Logic cannot explain this.


I think it's the eyebrows and their distance from his actual eyes.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Va on March 27, 2005, 01:41:41 am
Paul, I :heart: your moustache.

lml(~.~)lml
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2005, 10:56:22 pm
Quote from: "Max"
It's really bad ass that you have a picture of yourself with john darnielle and that john darnielle looks pretty concerned about it.

He was.

Actually we were having a great conversation about the art scene here in Houston.  Particularly The Art Car Museum (http://www.artcarmuseum.com/) and The Rothko Chapel (http://www.menil.org/rothko.html).

~Paul
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2005, 11:21:59 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Paul, I :heart: your moustache.

lml(~.~)lml


(http://www.wethefans.com/dickd.gif)
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2005, 08:13:22 pm
Quick -- someone recommend a Mountain Goats album to me. Other than Tallahassee, which I expect to buy posthaste.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Max on April 03, 2005, 08:47:02 pm
we shall all be healed has its high points too, but tallahassee is the best of the best i think.

the problem is plenty of their albums are cassette-only and even THEN you basically have to be only two or three people removed from darnielle to know where to get one.  we shall all be healed and tallahassee are the only albums that have seen (semi) major label production and can be easily gotten in stores, to my knowledge.
Title: A Special Boy and a Special Goat
Post by: Bozack on April 03, 2005, 10:52:07 pm
All Hail West Texas is fuckin' AMAZING.