The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on March 27, 2005, 04:32:55 pm

Title: Happy Easter
Post by: jough on March 27, 2005, 04:32:55 pm
Hey kids,

Happy Easter to anyone in the U.S. or anyone else anywhere else who celebrates it.

I made deviled eggs to bring with me today, but then I thought - maybe DEVILed eggs aren't the most appropriate thing for the occasion.  Hopefully my family will not see it that way.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: slink on March 27, 2005, 07:28:27 pm
I'm just digging four days off work. So, Happy Easter!

Put me right in the merriment.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2005, 07:29:19 pm
I don't even get holiday pay for it. Though, given my personal beliefs, maybe I should celebrate that fact.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2005, 09:37:26 pm
My grandma was shocked that we don't get Easter Monday off. I'd never heard of Easter Monday. Was that the day Jesus went shopping or something?
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Choop on March 27, 2005, 10:46:16 pm
Just call them JESUS'D eggs and be done with it.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2005, 11:27:28 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I'm just digging four days off work. So, Happy Easter!


Dude, you've only been working for a week.  You can't be burnt out already?

From the Easter isn't Christian enough department.  In much the same way that Christmas is now "CHRISTmas," Easter is now "Resurection Day."

~Paul
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2005, 11:56:09 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
From the Easter isn't Christian enough department.  In much the same way that Christmas is now "CHRISTmas," Easter is now "Resurection Day."

Wouldn't it just be easier to go back to calling it "Christ Mass" or do they not like the Catholic connotations of the word "mass"? And if we're not calling it Easter do kids still get to go to the mall and sit in the laps of creatures primarily known for fuck*ng a lot while surrounded by oversized novelty components of sexual reproduction?
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2005, 01:17:27 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"


Dude, you've only been working for a week.  You can't be burnt out already?



OH yes you can.  It's quite a shock to the system to start working again. I can't BELIEVE they expect me to go to work again tomorrow AND THE NEXT DAY.  (I work weekends, so this is MANY days in a row now...)
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: slink on March 28, 2005, 10:43:23 am
Quote from: "wombat"

(I work weekends, so this is MANY days in a row now...)


Ouch.
But indeed, less burnt out and more just liking being able to sit around, and sleep lots. It's a shock to the system going from a while of sitting around working from home, and doing music, to getting up at 7 every morning and getting home 12 hours later. That said, I'm looking forward, in a strange way, to going back in tomorrow. Figure the four day weekend, if it hasn't broken my resolve, is a good way to help me ease into this full timeness.

As far as celebrating easter, had some very good roast lamb yesterday, but haven't even seen an egg all weekend.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Bozack on March 28, 2005, 02:05:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"

As far as celebrating easter, had some very good roast lamb yesterday, but haven't even seen an egg all weekend.


That's because they're hidden. You'll have to organize a hunt, really.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2005, 05:42:36 pm
I almost ran into Jesus on a hoss last weekend.  I was headed out to the grocery store, came around a corner, and there was Jesus on a hoss, followed by a bunch of kids and a few adults waving palm branches, right down the middle of the street like they owned the friggin' place.  I yelled "Go Jesus!" as I crawled past all the way on the LEFT side of the road.

Jesus was played by what looked to be a 14-year-old girl.  Fortunately for her that church isn't too concerned with accuracy (Jesus rode into town on a donkey, not a hoss) or she would have been nailed to a cross mid-week.

We had our annual potluck brunch at our house.  Many guests, much food.  Lizzie del Vaca quite enjoyed her first Easter Egg hunt.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: slink on March 28, 2005, 06:32:18 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I almost ran into Jesus on a hoss last weekend.


You must live in LA? I forget, but frmo what I always hear of LA it's where things like that happen most.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 28, 2005, 06:50:23 pm
Nope, Virginia 'burbs of DC.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 28, 2005, 09:23:41 pm
we get Good Friday off as a State Holiday here. This is probably my last Good Friday off, though.

We had about 8 people over for grilled lamb in a zinfandel marinade/sauce, risotto, asparagus, wine galore, and a humongous apple pie. It was fun.

Also, we made breakfast at church for the multitudes Easter sunday - I made mini Frittattas, we had bacon and pancakes, fruit and muffins and juice and coffee. We fed like 200 people I think. It was pretty rad.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2005, 01:48:56 am
I did a semi-boneless leg of lamb on the grill.  Mrs. West made a lemon cake with meringue icing.  Mother West did the rest.  It was very tasty.

I did the lamb on Saturday and cooked a pork tenderloin for Saturday night at the same time.  The pork actually turned out better than the lamb.  The lamb was a little disappointing.  It wasn't bad, but I worked really hard on it and it wasn't as excellent as I expected it to be.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: sjlimmer on March 29, 2005, 05:21:21 am
Just a simple dinner around here.  I made a (turkey) ham with a basic mustard-brown sugar glaze, some corn on the cob and potatoes au gratin.  Nothing fancy, but it was tasty, perhaps due in part to the blood sacrifice I made while preparing dinner.

I was cutting the potatoes (on a mandolin) when my mother called.  Wanting to be efficient, I kept cutting (withut the safety-guard-holder-thing) while talking with her.  When I sliced into my thumb, I somehow managed to refrain from screaming profanities as I hurled the phone across the kitchen.  

Oh, and we had ice cream, too!
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 29, 2005, 03:47:08 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I did a semi-boneless leg of lamb on the grill.


Does it have a bone?
It has a bone.
Then it's... a bone!
Ain't no semi-bone!
--G. Carlin
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: side_show on March 29, 2005, 04:47:49 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Risotto.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Frittattas.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It was pretty rad.


But where was the Ketel One?
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Golfhaus on March 29, 2005, 05:11:41 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Just a simple dinner around here.  I made a (turkey) ham with a basic mustard-brown sugar glaze, some corn on the cob and potatoes au gratin.  Nothing fancy, but it was tasty, perhaps due in part to the blood sacrifice I made while preparing dinner.


I am clearly in a different league than the rest of you. For me, "a simple dinner" means a package of Ramen noodles. And that I didn't add any liquor to my Coke.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: Limmo on March 29, 2005, 05:56:23 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I was cutting the potatoes (on a mandolin) when my mother called.  Wanting to be efficient, I kept cutting (withut the safety-guard-holder-thing) while talking with her.  When I sliced into my thumb, I somehow managed to refrain from screaming profanities as I hurled the phone across the kitchen.  

Oh, and we had ice cream, too!


Mandolines make it very easy to efficienly remove flesh from your body, and leave perfectly flat indentations that instantly fill with blood.  They're great.
Title: Happy Easter
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 29, 2005, 07:10:05 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Risotto.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Frittattas.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It was pretty rad.


But where was the Ketel One?


Communion!