The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on August 18, 2003, 08:40:44 pm

Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 18, 2003, 08:40:44 pm
http://songfight.com

I like the Mosswoodians the best so far.  And Brody.  And Bob Genghis Kahn.  A Kid Named Ace was pretty good, too.

But some of these are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, man.  Yowza.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Limmo on August 18, 2003, 08:47:59 pm
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band

Most Achewood-conversant: Bob Genghis Khan

Best overlap between songwriting ability and actually having heard of Achewood: Brody

Song most likely to make me plunge knitting needles into my ears: almost everything else on the list.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: slink on August 18, 2003, 09:40:13 pm
Oh yea, I kinda know of Brody. 'Cause I found this band called Brodie (after the Kevin Smith character) and met them a while back cos they played over here. But was always meaning to see what Brody were about, guess now they've proven themselves venerable what with Achewood knowledge I shoulda hald out for them!
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: MSC on August 18, 2003, 10:27:28 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band

Most Achewood-conversant: Bob Genghis Khan

Best overlap between songwriting ability and actually having heard of Achewood: Brody

Song most likely to make me plunge knitting needles into my ears: almost everything else on the list.


I agree on all counts, so far.  Haven't made it through them all yet.  I think Genghis Khan is so far the best, but that British accent is horrible, whether it's real or not.  

This was my first experience with Songfight.  Is it a place where bands/singers try to "break out" and get their name out there, or is ot more of a "fun" place, where people just put up songs about things like their favorite comic strip.  Either way, it confirms something I learned several years ago working at a radio station, where we had to judge a local band competition:  there are a lot of really terrible, awful, musicians out there.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: V-Adore on August 18, 2003, 10:34:37 pm
Quote from: "MSC"

I agree on all counts, so far.  Haven't made it through them all yet.  I think Genghis Khan is so far the best, but that British accent is horrible, whether it's real or not.  

This was my first experience with Songfight.  Is it a place where bands/singers try to "break out" and get their name out there, or is ot more of a "fun" place, where people just put up songs about things like their favorite comic strip.  Either way, it confirms something I learned several years ago working at a radio station, where we had to judge a local band competition:  there are a lot of really terrible, awful, musicians out there.

It seems to be a bit of a combination of both, but it's generally amiable and fairly friendly. It seems to be focused on its own community, really, with the accompanying community spirit. It encourages dabbling and experimental weirdness, but I know there are quite a few artists who are semi-serious about this (the John Benjamin Band, Frankie Big Face, Octothorpe, and so on).

I haven't listened to Songfights in a while, on account of being on a crappy dialup, but this intrigues me. I'm a big Octothorpe fan (maybe the only big Octothorpe fan), so I'm curious to see what they contributed and/or its Achewoodiness.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jay-ell on August 18, 2003, 11:03:07 pm
Moved to "Achewood in the Media."
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Limmo on August 18, 2003, 11:39:17 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm a big Octothorpe fan (maybe the only big Octothorpe fan), so I'm curious to see what they contributed and/or its Achewoodiness.


  The Octothorpe song is exactly the same as the Brody song, but replaces the pensive Neil Young vibe of the latter with a kind of Muppet calypso feel.  

  In other words, it's really quite bad.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: starlight on August 19, 2003, 10:35:19 am
Aw, I rather liked the Starboard Valve song - on a non-achewood note though considering.  I just like the random words I think

Of course, yes, I agree, achewood related-wise, Bob Genghis Khan is the best.  that one is good enough for a mix cd! :D

Anyway, seeing as I'm on dial-up, I was only able to download 18 of them so far; I'll get to the rest tomorrow - I voted for Starboard Valve nonetheless ..hm.  it could also have something to do with my name - subconscious liking! ;)
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 19, 2003, 02:04:00 pm
OK, stupid question time:  Did the phrase "What we need more of is science" actually appear in a strip?  If so, when?
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 19, 2003, 02:44:37 pm
No, it didn't.

It was just on the t-shirt.

Although, of course, I think we can all agree that Roast Beef would hold that statement near and dear to his li'l' kitty heart.
Title: The JBB "More Science" song.
Post by: JBB on August 19, 2003, 06:34:26 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band


I thank you sir, for your kind words. I would like to say that the song *is* indeed inspired by Achewood, being written from the good cat Roast Beef's point of view.

The lines about having a rocket to reach the moon, having a t-3 inside of oneself, trying not to hear what the ***** said, and not quitting 'til I'm ten times dead-- all are directly inspired, though not absolutely detail-correct, from Achewood events.

The rest of the lyrics are a general idea of what it might be like to be Roast Beef the cat, a comic, tragic figure memorably evoked through Chris Onstad's little Internet drawings.

I chose not to directly cite Achewood because, well, I figured everybody else was gonna do that.

Thanks again for liking the song.

JB
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2003, 06:54:48 pm
JBB, yours is my favorite, too.  Great lyrics.  I like the whole Got enough science... sequence very much.

Thanks for making it.
Title: song fight
Post by: satchel on August 19, 2003, 09:09:10 pm
I like the songs about Achewood. Those just looking for a platform to disseminate their own spunk are uninteresting.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 19, 2003, 09:23:50 pm
Yo JBB,

I totally cracked up when I heard the T3 inside of me line - very much in the spirit of Achewood and Roast Beef, although more accurate would have been "802.11b" which still would have rhymed (it's a wireless connection - eight oh two eleven bee).

Good stuff, though.  I haven't voted yet, so feel free to ply me with booze.
Title: Re: The JBB "More Science" song.
Post by: Limmo on August 19, 2003, 10:08:54 pm
Quote from: "JBB"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band


I thank you sir, for your kind words. I would like to say that the song *is* indeed inspired by Achewood, being written from the good cat Roast Beef's point of view.

The lines about having a rocket to reach the moon, having a t-3 inside of oneself, trying not to hear what the ***** said, and not quitting 'til I'm ten times dead-- all are directly inspired, though not absolutely detail-correct, from Achewood events.

The rest of the lyrics are a general idea of what it might be like to be Roast Beef the cat, a comic, tragic figure memorably evoked through Chris Onstad's little Internet drawings.

I chose not to directly cite Achewood because, well, I figured everybody else was gonna do that.

Thanks again for liking the song.

JB


    Whoopsy doodle.  I didn't listen carefully enough to the lyrics.  Sorry.  

    Songwriting-wise, your song was definitely the best of the bunch.  Look forward to hearing more of you in the future.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: MSC on August 20, 2003, 01:31:30 pm
Whoa,  just listened to the John Benjamin Band tune, and it's by far and away the best, both musically and Achewoodly.  The other most Achewood-ish tune was Genghis Bob Kahn, but that is crude by comparison, just tossing out Achewood-related lines at random.  The JBB song's lyrics were elegant references joined together by a theme.  Extremely Excellent.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 21, 2003, 02:22:23 am
I really liked the "Mr. Science" type thing by the Mosswoodians, even if it sounds like old They Might Be Giants.

Here are my top 5, after listening to the 8 songs that I kept (I did listen to them all, though):

1) Bob Genghis Kahn
2) JBB
3) Mosswoodians
4) MYCC
5) Brody
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Jim Treacher on August 21, 2003, 06:50:05 pm
My favorites were Ad Et Al, Brother Machine, and Squirrel Vs. Bear.  I did not enjoy the Extra Credit one as far as being a piece of music, but he sounded the most like what I'd imagine Roast Beef would sound like.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: pmcd9 on August 22, 2003, 02:42:00 am
I'm on stinkin' dial up so I can't really participate in anything that involves downloading or streaming mp3's.  Damn it why can't I get the DSL here.  Dammit.

~Paul
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 22, 2003, 03:41:29 am
I used to download MP3s on dialup - but it was just dead dog slow.

But you could at least listen to those that people have said are their favourites.  There seems to be a pretty decent concensus on which are good and which are god-awful.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Limmo on August 25, 2003, 07:29:50 pm
MC Hawking won the Songfight with more than 3 times as many votes as the John Benjamin Band.  Oy.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 25, 2003, 07:40:35 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
MC Hawking won the Songfight with more than 3 times as many votes as the John Benjamin Band.  Oy.


Interestingly enough, MC Hawking was the first on Onstad's list on Achewood.com, so maybe people considered that an endorsement.

Not one of my favourites but listening to it again, it's hot horrible.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Limmo on August 25, 2003, 07:46:28 pm
I agree, it's not horrible.  But if that's the best thing that can be said about it....
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: slink on August 25, 2003, 08:05:09 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I agree, it's not horrible.  But if that's the best thing that can be said about it....


Haven't listened to that one yet. Well still haven't listened to any of them (damn dial-up), but if you get the chance, do check out Entropy by MC Hawking, I recall that being quite fine, mainly lyrically naturally.
Title: down with entropy
Post by: andalucia on August 25, 2003, 08:29:27 pm
Not being a songfight habitué, the only artist I'd heard of was MC Hawking, and I suppose this might have been the same for others.  Shame, though, I didnt think it was best by any means.
To derail slightly:
The entropy rap is indeed rad.  It's quite a big thing among the geeks of the highschool from which I just graduated, and my best friend performed a rousing version of it (which cut to 99 Red Balloons halfway through) for a school karaeoke contest.  She got second place, which tells you something about my school.  Namely that it was rad.
Title: Re: down with entropy
Post by: slink on August 26, 2003, 12:11:55 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
and my best friend performed a rousing version of it (which cut to 99 Red Balloons halfway through) for a school karaeoke contest.  She got second place, which tells you something about my school.  Namely that it was rad.


Awesome. I'll have to relisten to it at some point soon (really haven't listened to it in about three years now), 'cause the feat of kareoke-ing that would be quite something! Especially if she used the original, and thus German, version of 99 Red Balloons (or Luftballoons for the original).
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: andalucia on August 26, 2003, 02:57:55 am
slink:  she was pushed out onstage in a wheelchair, wearing a wig, big glasses, a tweed jacket, and a blanket over her knees, by another friend dressed as a sexy nurse.... she rapped her way through 'entropy' with the nurse moving her arms in hip-hop style hand gestures, then a bunch of us threw bags and bags of red balloons onstage, she got up and took off the costume and wig, and was decked out in full 80s regalia, and proceeded to caper about merrily.

And yeah, I think it was the german version.



Of course, she did have to come onstage after my then-boyfriend's rendition of 'Domo Arigato Mr. *****o'.... but that's another story altogether.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: andalucia on August 26, 2003, 02:58:52 am
Inquiry:  Why does the word "r o b o t" turn into asterisks?  it isnt cussing, as far as I'm aware.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 26, 2003, 05:51:28 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Inquiry:  Why does the word "r o b o t" turn into asterisks?  it isnt cussing, as far as I'm aware.


Isn't it?

ISN'T IT?

ISN'T IT?

ISN'T IT?

Jough gives you the hairy-eyeball...
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: jough on August 26, 2003, 05:53:10 am
Actually, the "*****" censor is a hold-over from the Dumbrella boards.

You'd have to ask rstevens about its origins.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: slink on August 26, 2003, 04:55:28 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
slink:  she was pushed out onstage in a wheelchair, wearing a wig, big glasses, a tweed jacket, and a blanket over her knees, by another friend dressed as a sexy nurse.... she rapped her way through 'entropy' with the nurse moving her arms in hip-hop style hand gestures, then a bunch of us threw bags and bags of red balloons onstage, she got up and took off the costume and wig, and was decked out in full 80s regalia, and proceeded to caper about merrily.

And yeah, I think it was the german version.



Of course, she did have to come onstage after my then-boyfriend's rendition of 'Domo Arigato Mr. *****o'.... but that's another story altogether.


Ah the image that endused! Thank you! Thank you sincerely for putting that into my head for the day. Wonderful stuff!
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2003, 05:10:45 pm
Erm, what does "endused" mean? I like to think of myself as deserving of my English BA, but I don't know this.
Title: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
Post by: slink on August 26, 2003, 06:38:25 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Erm, what does "endused" mean? I like to think of myself as deserving of my English BA, but I don't know this.


Crap, I'd just gotten up, hadn't even had a coffee and a cigarette. I'm usually very good about that kind of thing! What I meant to say was, 'induced'.
Now I'm going to go and weep into my upturned hands!