The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Golfhaus on April 06, 2005, 04:13:59 pm

Title: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: Golfhaus on April 06, 2005, 04:13:59 pm
I recently got a new computer, after my old one passed away quietly in the night. My old computer had a not-technically-mine-but-loved-all-the-same version of Office on it. Now I'm using Outlook Express for my e-mail. I used to have SpamBayes installed on my Outlook (and I believe I even heard about SpamBayes here), and it worked magically, but apparently it doesn't work for OE. Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: slink on April 06, 2005, 05:26:35 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?


Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?
Title: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: arkabee on April 06, 2005, 06:34:48 pm
PopFile.  It's bayesian based, it's a proxy app so any pop based mail client will work with it.  i think it uses perl.  regardless, config is done through a web-browser interface.  

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

the mascot is an octopus.
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 07, 2005, 05:47:19 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?


Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?


It may not be what you were looking for, but I must second that Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) is the better find.  Outlook Express is dangerous.
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: St_Zartan on April 07, 2005, 07:04:12 am
Quote from: "slink"
Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?


What is this "helping" (http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html)

I came to this planet to teach love and distribute smiles according to need and NOW LOOK
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2005, 12:49:22 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Anyone have any good spam filter suggestions for OE?

Thunderbird...

I'm not helping am I?

It may not be what you were looking for, but I must second that Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) is the better find.  Outlook Express is dangerous.

OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: St_Zartan on April 07, 2005, 01:59:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.


I used to use Thunderbird with a little application called "Hotmail Popper" (http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/), whose website informs me that only paying Hotmail members can access Hotmail through "outside program". So CJ, either you're paying for Hotmail (why?) or they make a specific exception for Outlook Express...
Title: Re: Spam filters for Outlook Express
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2005, 04:26:57 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
OE may be dangerous but it's the only dang program that works with hotmail. And my that's what I use for my "public" e-mail account. I can't imagine any other reason for using it, though.

I used to use Thunderbird with a little application called "Hotmail Popper" (http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/), whose website informs me that only paying Hotmail members can access Hotmail through "outside program". So CJ, either you're paying for Hotmail (why?) or they make a specific exception for Outlook Express...

Grandfather clause. They used to offer free OE (or Outlook) access to all members and just this year changed it to paying members only. But if you made use of this feature back when it was free then that account gets to keep doing it. I just have to use OE to check my e-mail once a month to keep it active.