The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: wombat on April 07, 2005, 02:27:19 pm

Title: Internet radio?
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2005, 02:27:19 pm
I need to find music to listen to without commericials that doesn't involve me standing sadly in front of my CD collection and not knowing what to do.

We've got a computer hooked up to the stereo that my husband uses to play classical internet radio stations, so I am thinking I could find some non classical stations.  But I am so out of touch I don't know where to begin.  

You're going to ask me what kind of music I like, but I don't know anymore.  Some of you may recall an earlier thread in which I confessed to being able to listen to nothing but Bruce Springsteen, so that's approximately where I'm coming from.  I am old, so I don't like loud stuff.  But I DON'T want to listen to old music (I've got the CD collection for that), I want to hear good new stuff.  I like, um, songs.  With, like, good lyrics?   I know you are all incredibly cool people who are always talking about bands I've never heard of.  Can you help?
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: sjlimmer on April 07, 2005, 02:34:47 pm
Back in the day, I'd have recommended GoGaGa (http://www.gogaga.com), but they've been down for years now.

My personal recommendation would be to listen to KEXP out of seattle http://www.kexp.org.  They stream their broadcast, and since they are a public radio station, there are no commercials.  They have a pretty eclectic playlist, focusing mostly on newer indie-type stuff, but they'll play nearly anything.  The only downside is that it's a public radio station, so they guilt you with pledge drives 3 times a year....
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2005, 04:22:15 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
My personal recommendation would be to listen to KEXP out of seattle http://www.kexp.org.  They stream their broadcast, and since they are a public radio station, there are no commercials.  They have a pretty eclectic playlist, focusing mostly on newer indie-type stuff, but they'll play nearly anything.  The only downside is that it's a public radio station, so they guilt you with pledge drives 3 times a year....

Replace KEXP with WNRN and 3 with 2.

And there's always www.last.fm which is higher quality (in terms of bitrate) than most free streams.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: Limmo on April 07, 2005, 04:24:11 pm
I always enjoyed live365.  You do have to suffer through a single commercial when you change stations, but this shouldn't be a problem for most people ( it was for me; I paid them $5 a month to make it go away).

www.live365.com (http://www.live365.com)
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on April 07, 2005, 04:42:05 pm
I'll second Live 365, and add WPRB in Princeton (http://www.wprb.com/listen.html).
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: jough on April 07, 2005, 05:11:58 pm
I tend to listen to my MP3 collection, which now stands 29,000 song strong, on shuffle.  I keep adding new albums (new for me, anyway) to the mix to keep things fresh.  

What I've been doing lately is listening to a lot of albums from one-hit-wonder bands from the 70s and 80s that I liked - it's neat for these old albums to be "new" for me because I'd never heard the entire album before.  Then I'll listen to other albums by the bands that I like and so on.

For instance, I liked Roxy Music's "More Than This" so I got a copy of Avalon, then I liked that, so I got For Your Pleasure and their self-titled.

I really liked Men At Work's "Overkill" - so I downloaded the entire Cargo album.

That sort of thing.

So if you like Springsteen, I'd try Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, The Stray Cats (and even the Brian Setzer Orchestra), Foghat, Deep Purple, Hootie and the Blowgiraffe, Better than Ezra, the Counting Crows first three albums, etc.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: Gimpson on April 07, 2005, 07:48:32 pm
I really like Radio Paradise (http://www.radioparadise.com), even if they do have a tendency to play a bit more Jethro Tull than they should.  Their playlist can be found here (http://www.radioparadise.com/modules.php?name=Playlist).  Within the last hour or two they've played The Arcade Fire, Wilco, old U2, Nick Drake, Blind Melon, Bjork, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Radiohead.  They play a pretty good mix of good and old, and it's certainly not too loud.

(Any Tull is too much Tull, though.)
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2005, 08:03:53 pm
I knew you guys would come through for me on this. So far sjlimmer's suggestion is less annoying on the whole than any music station around here that I've been subjected to, which is the first requirement.  Radio Paradise was just playing Joni Mitchell, but I will try to give forgive them for it and try again later...  

I am looking forward to working through the possibilities. You are all so rad, seriously.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: Bozack on April 07, 2005, 08:26:09 pm
Coming straight on up from Louisville, there's WFPK (http://www.wfpk.org/), which I used to listen to lovingly, especially because they have some really awesome roots music programming. They tend to play a shitload of My Morning Jacket, but...meh. I'm fine with that.

Oddly enough, I might actually start DJing a radio show on a friends pirate transmitter. Pump up the volume INDEED.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2005, 02:06:25 am
WFPK is awfully good (although I'm more of an FPL kind of guy), but I've had problems with their stream in the past.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 12, 2005, 05:16:42 pm
Quote from: "jough"


I really liked Men At Work's "Overkill" - so I downloaded the entire Cargo album.



See if you can't find a copy of Lazlo Bane's cover of "Overkill" featuring Colin Hay on guest vocals.  Hell of sweet.
Title: Internet radio?
Post by: jough on April 12, 2005, 07:13:02 pm
Yeah, I have that, and also Colin Hay's especially sweet acoustic version he recorded for "Scrubs."

I'm nine kinds of in the loop, man.