The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on April 11, 2005, 04:30:53 pm

Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: side_show on April 11, 2005, 04:30:53 pm
Has Achewood made it's way into your day to day speach?  If so what is most common?

- On our way back from the art gallery yesterday my SO said "That was nice," and I replied "yes, it was.  it was a momentary diversion on the way to the grave."  

- my SO and I were commenting on how one of our cats, the brain damaged one, is always so happy, and we of course went through all the details of why a cat's life is good and decided that indeed "shit be good on this fine day."

- I often tell people to "have some dignity."
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Max on April 11, 2005, 04:41:27 pm
"that is what pieces of shit do" from Ray's Place gets in there a fair amount.

"rutty" is now like a daily occurrence.

i used to throw "rad chilies" in occassionally, but not anymore.
Title: Re: Achewood-lingus
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2005, 05:17:40 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I often tell people to "have some dignity."

Whenever my Mother forwards me the latest urban legend e-mail that's making the rounds I hit reply all with a link to snopes and the message "Have some dignity."

~Paul
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2005, 05:18:49 pm
Also, i'm working "ain't want" into my lexicon.

~Paul
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Gimpson on April 11, 2005, 05:32:05 pm
I also use "have some dignity" somewhat regularly.  I'm not sure if "hell of" is strictly an Achewoodism, but I use it when I can.  Particularly "hell of dilapitaded" when appropriate.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 11, 2005, 05:35:24 pm
I say "Have some dignity" every so often.  More common are "What the HELL people" and "Boo to that."
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2005, 05:46:48 pm
I use a fairly disturbing number of them. "Hell of," "What the HELL people," and "have some dignity" show up a lot. For a while the SO and I were using the knife-commercial dialogue ("my heart's explodin'! These KNIVES!") as a way to describe something particularly fun, and there were a few Subway runs in which Ray and Beef's Subway dialogue was used extensively. ("So, SO's Name, what are you thinking of getting?" "Probably six kinds of nasty on a cold cut trio.")

It's sort of a para-Achewoodian thing, but I now use "hoss-banjo" as a regular speech element -- a condensation of the blurb from the first book about a reader "staring at Achewood like a hoss would a banjo," intended to mean "this is totally not within my universe." ("Well, honey, it sounds like good Python code, I guess, but... uh, hoss-banjo.")
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: St_Zartan on April 11, 2005, 05:47:55 pm
Let's not forget the linguistic flu bug that is "basically". I have given up all hope of removing that from its new, Achewood-originated role in my head as "verbal comma".

Also, I had until very recently "THE DUDE HAS GOT NO MERCY" in a really snazzy font printed out and taped to my monitor at work. It turns out you can't really tape stuff to flat screens that well.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: jough on April 11, 2005, 05:58:33 pm
I don't think "have some dignity" is an Achewood thing.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Limmo on April 11, 2005, 06:28:33 pm
"basically like treasure" and "what in the jam"
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 11, 2005, 07:24:19 pm
Reading Achewood and being married to someone who reads Achewood, it has slipped into our conversations with eachother so insidiously that it is hard to pull certain things back out and say, "That was Achewood before it was just something we say."

This effect is about the same as people in college associating me with pirates because I was often quoting the sea captain.  It even stopped being quotes.  I would just say sea-captain-ish things in a piratey voice.  It became hard to remember that the reason I would resort to "Arrr" when flustered was because of the Simpsons.

I guess I'm a bit unoriginal in that I'm very often expressing myself through quotes and impressions.  I suppose I'd be more witty on my own if I had better writers.


I have been known to cracked crab dance.
All those near me know there's ass in my #####.
When I say homosexuals, I'm talking about a monkey.
And when I take a "me" day,  I'm binging like a white jockeys junkie.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: slink on April 11, 2005, 07:30:34 pm
I still on occasion will say 'Stay off the beach'. Possibly my favourite. But apart from that, Ray and Beef's speech have affected mine slightly.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2005, 07:52:57 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Let's not forget the linguistic flu bug that is "basically". I have given up all hope of removing that from its new, Achewood-originated role in my head as "verbal comma".

My boss says "basically" like most people say "um" and it makes me want to hurt people.

I use beef-speak now and then (all saying "such as"). Usually until the SO tells me to stop. I say "rad chilies" when the opportunity arises and "six kids of nasty" whenever I'm hungry for something in particular.

I've also been known to ask, "what's up mother fucks" while entering a room. But sadly I have no permit to rhyme.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 11, 2005, 08:03:42 pm
You should have seen Pearce yesterday; pooped right out the side of his onesie.  All over the place.  Some even got on the mayor.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 11, 2005, 08:09:13 pm
Not the Mayor!  NOT THE MAYOR!
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: arkabee on April 11, 2005, 09:34:15 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Not the Mayor!  NOT THE MAYOR!


i wish the internet had a standarized points distribution system such that points could be awarded (or in recent "other threadedness" dee dacht ahd) for posts / to posters that make me smile and or otherwise make my day, life, world i live in a much better place.

given there is none (and if someone is saying "paypal" well, "la la la i can't hear you"), Mr. Carlos "The Mayor" Delvaca, i am awarding you 10 "arkabee points".

don't squander them needlessly.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: miles on April 11, 2005, 09:41:42 pm
I am only conscious of using phrases from Achewood when talking with my friend who also loves it.  But I'm sure I do it more often.

Edit:  I assume this because I used to be, and still am a little bit, very influenced by Wayne's World in my everday talking.  It's probably because I have seen it more than any other movie.  I wasn't aware of it for quite some time.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of the word "cunnilingus" when I saw the title of the thread?  I had no idea where it would go, but, honestly, I was a bit disappointed.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2005, 09:44:08 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Am I the only one who immediately thought of the word "cunnilingus" when I saw the title of the thread?  I had no idea where it would go, but, honestly, I was a bit disappointed.

Me too, but after the Fleshlight thread I don't need to talk about that second possible meaning of Achewood-lingus.

Back on topic: "basically like treasure" is basically... oh, you know.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2005, 12:55:05 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Not the Mayor!  NOT THE MAYOR!


i wish the internet had a standarized points distribution system such that points could be awarded (or in recent "other threadedness" dee dacht ahd) for posts / to posters that make me smile and or otherwise make my day, life, world i live in a much better place.

given there is none (and if someone is saying "paypal" well, "la la la i can't hear you"), Mr. Carlos "The Mayor" Delvaca, i am awarding you 10 "arkabee points".

don't squander them needlessly.


You should read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.  He comes up with a whole economy driven by something like this, which he calls "Whuffie".  Whuffie is like brownie points awarded by the general public.  If someone earns your respect you award them some whuffie points.  Higher whuffie = higher buying power.

You can download the book for free (which earned Cory Doctorow a great deal of whuffie, at least from me) here. (http://www.craphound.com/down/download.php)  It's a good read.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 12, 2005, 02:52:24 am
How many Arkabee Points and/or Whuffie do I need to get a free CD?  I really want the new Doves album.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Choop on April 12, 2005, 02:53:45 am
I'd like a system where you can not only reward people points, but charge people points for off-pissing you. (Never end a sentence with a preposition.) This jackass/douchebag I work with would owe me like 50,000 points so far.

As it is, if I billed him for all the time I spent on his problems, he'd owe me somewhere around six grand.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2005, 02:57:01 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I'd like a system where you can not only reward people points, but charge people points for off-pissing you. (Never end a sentence with a preposition.) This jackass/douchebag I work with would owe me like 50,000 points so far.

As it is, if I billed him for all the time I spent on his problems, he'd owe me somewhere around six grand.

I used to be happy at work, but now i've got a boss that has turned me into that guy from Office Space that wants to burn the building down.

~Paul
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Choop on April 12, 2005, 03:38:52 am
Compared to that film, I'm Michael Bolton (sad, but true) and the douche is Milton: always complaining about bullshit, chewing and breathing so loudly I need white-noise headphones, asking for help every twenty goddamned minutes... why, no, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: jough on April 12, 2005, 05:53:57 am
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
How many Arkabee Points and/or Whuffie do I need to get a free CD?  I really want the new Doves album.


I don't know how many points you have, but PM me with your address and I'll burn a copy of it for you.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Va on April 14, 2005, 05:40:44 pm
For no particular reason, sometimes hubby Bill or I will bust out with "The Dude Owns Property!" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272003) and the other will respond "He Gets With Ladies But In The End They Do Not Like Him!"

Sometime when he asks me how I am I will tell him I'm pretty good now that I'm 239,000 miles from the Cure (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002).

Also, Bill shoots his gun an Java be dancin' (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102003).
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Golfhaus on April 14, 2005, 07:23:16 pm
I "BOO TO THAT" a lot. Until this thread, I'd completely forgotten that I stole that from Achewood. I'd probably use more if I had real-world friends that read Achewood and would get it.

Remove the last seven words from that paragraph and it retains most of its validity.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: St_Zartan on April 14, 2005, 07:30:55 pm
Quote from: "Va"
hubby Bill

What If™...
Jean Teasdale Had Been An Anarchist?
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: Va on April 14, 2005, 07:37:44 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
What If™...
Jean Teasdale Had Been An Anarchist?


:cry:
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 07:57:35 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I "BOO TO THAT" a lot. Until this thread, I'd completely forgotten that I stole that from Achewood.

Ditto.

I also say stuff like, "traffic be all is this fast enough is this fast enough and I'm all NO."

"Seven kinky" has gotten me some weird looks.

And I still use "fuck city bangin'" from that other message board.
Title: Achewood-lingus
Post by: side_show on April 14, 2005, 08:54:57 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I "BOO TO THAT" a lot. Until this thread, I'd completely forgotten that I stole that from Achewood.


Now, I said "Boo to that," long before the existance of Achewood.  I con't at all claim responsibility for it's proliferation.  It was a very popular term used by one of my most interesting theatre school chums, and it spread like wildfire at the Uni and due to my over use even jumped from my theatre school social group to my other non-theatre school friends.  I actually never considered this an Achewood term.

BTW did we ever figure out the Twain connection the "momentary distraction..." line?  I searched the web for quite a while, but found nothing.