The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2005, 12:11:22 am

Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2005, 12:11:22 am
I just realize that every time I post to this forum, I'm begging for help because I'm basically an Australopithecus when it comes to stuff that lights up, whirrs, blinks or buzzes.

So the problem du jour:

I was charging my Samsung E105 flip phone and walking past the table, hooked the cord with my foot. The phone hit face down hard. It still makes and takes calls but the displays don't work anymore.

If it's just a matter of replacing the flip part of the phone, is that worth it or do I just buy a new phone? Does anyone have any experience in getting a cell phone actually repaired?
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2005, 12:35:36 am
I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who's always knocking their cell phone to the ground in this way.  Can't they come up with a better charging device?
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: jough on April 14, 2005, 01:14:55 am
I plug in my phone charger on a UPS that I also plug my PC stuff into - then I just sit the charge cable on the desk.  I'd have to be dancing a jig on my desk to knock mine over.  How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

Anyway, back on topic - unless it's under warranty, it's not worth repairing your cell phone.  Either buy a new one or if you're not under contract and going month to month with service you can re-negotiate your cell phone contract and get a free new phone.  I did that all the time.

Find a deal from a competitor that is better than what you're getting now, then call your cell phone company and tell them about it.  Then ask what THEY can do for you.

You'd be surprised.  AT&T once doubled my monthly minutes and gave me a $400 phone just so I'd renew my contract for another 12 months at the same rate.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2005, 02:04:46 am
Quote from: "jough"
How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?



Of course you strew the cord around the room.  All the outlets in the power strips or wall outlets that are near pieces of furniture are already full of stuff.    Why can't the charger be like one of those battery charging things?

And I think if you leave the keys in the door that counts as losing your keys.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Choop on April 14, 2005, 02:28:47 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"
How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Of course you strew the cord around the room.  All the outlets in the power strips or wall outlets that are near pieces of furniture are already full of stuff.    Why can't the charger be like one of those battery charging things?

I invested in a cradle charger that I've discreetly placed on a bookshelf next to an outlet: can't trip over the cord without careening into the bookshelf.

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

And I think if you leave the keys in the door that counts as losing your keys.

Ah- but only if you forget that you left your keys in the door would that indeed count as losing them.

Am I alone in having had my keys fall out of my pocket? Drinky? In a cab?
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: jough on April 14, 2005, 04:16:14 am
I didn't say I left my keys in a door - but they have to be in the door when using the keys to open it.

Also, Comcast just will NOT load Google.com tonight (among many other sites) so it's weird to see a mini "could not connect to server" iframe page where the Google ad should be.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 12:53:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't say I left my keys in a door - but they have to be in the door when using the keys to open it.

Also, Comcast just will NOT load Google.com tonight (among many other sites) so it's weird to see a mini "could not connect to server" iframe page where the Google ad should be.

That happened to me, as well. Apparently once you successful find a site once you can use it normally, it's just the initial resolving of the DNS that breaks. It's happened a couple nights this week.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: arkabee on April 14, 2005, 01:29:51 pm
i've had google problems all week.  it's actually fun, since i hadn't actually used yahoo in, um, a long time.  maybe fun isn't the right word, but there's a word in existence, i'm fairly sure, to describe it.

the problem i've heard about wireless power distribution is that the consequence of coming between the outlet and the device is more dire than if there is a cord:  cooking flesh vs. tripping and knocking over cell phone.
Title: Re: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 14, 2005, 04:36:19 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I just realize that every time I post to this forum, I'm begging for help because I'm basically an Australopithecus when it comes to stuff that lights up, whirrs, blinks or buzzes.


It is not difficult to make friends on the internet who are adept with gadgetry.  It is difficult to make friends on the internet who make conversational references to extinct hominids.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your phone, but I'm glad you're here.

Erectus.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 14, 2005, 04:48:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?


JL loses her keys because women's clothing designers avoid pockets like it gives them rashes.  Also she loathes pocketbooks.  She's pretty much the gorgeous but butch woman we all dreamed about as kids.

As an aside, JL misses you.  She rarely has time to go downstairs and boot a computer between taking care of the child, managing the finances, and helping get our lives back in order.  Either that or I've got her barefoot and chained to the dishwasher.

Helotry.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: St_Zartan on April 14, 2005, 04:58:12 pm
Pedro, I have to ask: are you breaking in a new copy of Mrs. Byrne's or something? What's with those words, then. What.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: slink on April 14, 2005, 06:35:20 pm
Apparently comcast screwed up big time. Can't remember where I was reading that though. Probably on Evil Avatar.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: V-Adore on April 14, 2005, 07:02:23 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

JL loses her keys because women's clothing designers avoid pockets like it gives them rashes.  Also she loathes pocketbooks.  She's pretty much the gorgeous but butch woman we all dreamed about as kids.

This is absolutely true. (The bit about women's clothing designers having a massive phobia of pockets, not the bit about JL's gorgeousness. I'll trust you on that, though.) As a college student, I carry a massive wad of sundries in my pockets just to get through the day -- writing implements, my watch, my ID/keycard, extra pencil lead, my keys, a buck for a soda later, and so on -- and I have a few pairs of otherwise-lovely trousers that aren't getting wear because there's nowhere to put this shit. The only thing that saves me is that my keys are on a lanyard (because my mother was paranoid that I'd lose them if they weren't around my neck all day), so on pocket-free days I can just sling them around my neck and go.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: slink on April 14, 2005, 07:09:49 pm
I'm considering an RFID chip for my car.

That's a lie.

I tend now I'm working to just put everything I need pocketwise in a pile on my little table. Either that or they hang up on a little pin on my shelf.
I am considering going solely across to wearing combat ##### though, just for the number of pockets. With an iriver (which is really quite bulky and heavy - it's one downside - but then it is a 40gb one), keys, wallet, usb cables, random crap a plenty, I just don't have the pocket space usually. That said, it might be easier when I have a real desk shortly.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: arkabee on April 14, 2005, 07:16:29 pm
women's fashion, sans pockets or #####, is insane from a hypothetical viewpoint wherein i am sane.

i am a fan of putting things into bags, and carrying the bag.  pockets are great, but i don't like heavy #####.

the one science fiction gadget that i wish existed in real, like, life is Dr. Who's magicalific screwdriver.  i'm not sure i ever saw a Dr. Who episode, but i vaguely remember him having a super screwdrive that did not need bits, or something.  if it could act as a wrench too, all the better.

i hope predro continues his variable one word signature thing, because i like going to dictionary.com.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Gimpson on April 14, 2005, 07:50:27 pm
I've taken to wearing blazers lately, and find the inside pocket great for my PDA and the lower pockets great for sunglasses.  I'm hoping that they are light enough to wear during the summer, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  

If it turns out that Kansas is too warm for blazers during the summer I may have to follow my future father-in-law into man-bag land (http://ganley.org/bags/bags.html).
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 14, 2005, 07:50:27 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Pedro, I have to ask: are you breaking in a new copy of Mrs. Byrne's or something? What's with those words, then. What.


I lost my sense of humor in a horrible accident involving lighter fluid and a whoopee cushion.  What remains is a hollow shell of funny that I like to call Hubert.  I decided I could try to compensate for this by developing a quirk.  It came down to creating a new account and posting with a bad approximation of a southern accent until I was shouted off the board or summarizing my messages with a one word postscript.  After trying it one way, I have decided to try the other.  Ergo, I will now create said new account and annoy everyone.  Comments are welcome.

Vexatious.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: St_Zartan on April 14, 2005, 07:58:18 pm
For some reason, I had gotten it into my head that this new feature, which (if I remember right) debuted around the same time as your declaration of Internet War on Doomglobe, had something to do with said War - that the words, say, after a time would form an acrostic to be unscrambled impugning Doomglobe's lineage, or something.

The truth is probably better, most notably because my crazy-ass theory is way too much effort to put into Web-Boarding, even at the Professional (~$2 / post) level.

Also: you can pick up to 5 quirks worth 1 point each.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: jough on April 14, 2005, 08:08:32 pm
Okay, whatever Perdo.

Comcast has been having some mucho DNS problems lately - last night was a new one for me - I could get to TLDs but not subdomains.  For instance, Google.com, no problem.  Gmail.Google.com - no dice.

Plagiarist.com, pas de probleme.  Achewood.Plagiarist.com?  Probleme.

Today it just seems to be all-off or all-on, every few hours.  I think that's an improvement, because at least when it's down now it's DOWN and I don't waste time trying to use the internet at all, rather than being frustrated with partial connectivity.

Still, I can't believe that they're this incompetent.  It feels almost like sabotage.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 08:08:59 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
the one science fiction gadget that i wish existed in real, like, life is Dr. Who's magicalific screwdriver.  i'm not sure i ever saw a Dr. Who episode, but i vaguely remember him having a super screwdrive that did not need bits, or something.  if it could act as a wrench too, all the better.

From what I can tell it was just Dr. Who's version of Deus Ex Machina. Kind of like how "reversing the polarity" fixes everything in sci-fi.

I too am a fan of cargo ##### (or Dockers old mobile #####) but since those aren't useble for work I've switched over to carrying a messenger bag. But I can't fathom having neither pockets nor a belt. Where would I keep my iPod, Leatherman, and pen?
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 08:11:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Comcast has been having some mucho DNS problems lately - last night was a new one for me - I could get to TLDs but not subdomains.  For instance, Google.com, no problem.  Gmail.Google.com - no dice.

Plagiarist.com, pas de probleme.  Achewood.Plagiarist.com?  Probleme.

Today it just seems to be all-off or all-on, every few hours.  I think that's an improvement, because at least when it's down now it's DOWN and I don't waste time trying to use the internet at all, rather than being frustrated with partial connectivity.

Still, I can't believe that they're this incompetent.  It feels almost like sabotage.

It took me 3 tries to get to comcast.net last night. Any overseas site was totally unreachable. I could usually find a sub-domain but it took another 3 tries. Once the DNS was located the site worked normally.

And if you think they aren't that incompetent you clearly haven't seen my TV reception. I long for DirecTV.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2005, 08:34:59 pm
Ladies, if the ##### don't have pockets, DON'T BUY THEM.  Then they'll eventually stop making them.  Unite against the Designer Man! You have nothing to lose but your keys!
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: arkabee on April 14, 2005, 09:52:53 pm
why is doomglobe bad, again?
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 15, 2005, 02:27:39 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Ladies, if the ****** don't have pockets, DON'T BUY THEM.  Then they'll eventually stop making them.  Unite against the Designer Man! You have nothing to lose but your keys!


I wish it were so, Wombat!  I'm afraid you are out numbered.  Unfortunately, most of the ladies I see aren't the combination of beauty and practicality that you and JL are.  Not as secure in their physical charms, they obsess over them in a way that is both unhealthy and precludes belt-loop-clips.  Stupid ladies and their pagents with their bathing suits and hot hot hip swinging walks...  Stupid men.

As for Doomglobe, he is a plague upon humanity.  A boil on the buttocks of all that is good.  His name evokes weeping among children age 3 to 6.  He hates aMERca and promotes TERR.  Doomglobe stole Christmas, burned effigies of Michael Jordan, and has often sided with Yosemite Sam.  Doomglobe is evil and thus is my net-nemesis.

So in review: Dooglobe: bad, Wombat: awesome.

Dichotomy.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: slink on April 15, 2005, 07:44:32 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Where would I keep my iPod, Leatherman, and pen?


Have to say, I am so ordering my Leatherman aand adapter thingy this week. Too many times do I have to go into the workshop to grab a stanley knife, and all the screwdrivers and pliers are round in the signage guys unit...
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: CortJstr on April 15, 2005, 07:52:19 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Where would I keep my iPod, Leatherman, and pen?

Have to say, I am so ordering my Leatherman aand adapter thingy this week. Too many times do I have to go into the workshop to grab a stanley knife, and all the screwdrivers and pliers are round in the signage guys unit...

I just have the little (8") Leatherman SideClip. It's great since I don't need one of those nylon cases and can just hook it to my pocket. But it lacks some of the tools that the 10" versions have.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: slink on April 15, 2005, 08:35:54 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I just have the little (8") Leatherman SideClip. It's great since I don't need one of those nylon cases and can just hook it to my pocket. But it lacks some of the tools that the 10" versions have.


Yea, it was the 8 inch I think that my mate has, and I figured that would be ideal for me. All I need most of the time is a philips and a flathead which are both on it, but just sometimes, like if it comes to building my desk, I'll need the basic ratchet heads.
It is too often I have to grab a knife or a screwdriver. Such is the life of a geek.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 15, 2005, 08:55:57 pm
So AlohaDawg, what's going on with the phone?  Have you made a decision yet?

______________
Redundant.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: wombat on April 16, 2005, 01:08:54 am
This thread is a thing of beauty.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 18, 2005, 10:00:32 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
So AlohaDawg, what's going on with the phone?  Have you made a decision yet?

______________
Redundant.


The phone issue became precluded by the Dell Tech Support guy not installing any device drivers on this new harddrive, and Dell not shipping two of the CDs with the system (like, the one with the drivers).

I use the phone for now, but since I'm home for the next several weeks the person who calls me most need not, so that's sort of a good thing.

I found a number of phones on e-bay that allegedly require only my chip to activate, so I'm looking at those - maybe a blackberry or a Treo so I con't need a PDA, too.
Title: Techno-Tard strikes again
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 12:31:52 am
The new Treo is a thing of beauty if you're already using a Palm PDA.  I'd love to use one but I'm persona-non-grata at any carrier that uses the Treo in the U.S.