The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: CortJstr on April 13, 2005, 01:19:47 am

Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2005, 01:19:47 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2005, 01:30:07 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "jough"
I remember her talking about firing a homemade canon with her Dad on some NPR show.  

It's so touching when families can bond over the formation of apocrypha.

</snide>


V, You..Are..Rad.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: Max on April 13, 2005, 02:34:14 am
Quote from: "wombat"
He leaves and it keeps going?  Even just seeing the pilot I can't see how that could work.


It doesn't, really.  He needs to play off Gillian Anderson's straight man, but watch carefully and you might realize earlier than I did that he is that show's number one entertainment factor.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: jough on April 13, 2005, 03:23:22 am
Sarah Vowell is really funny looking - she is a strange fuck*ng bird.  But very interesting.

Also, I was aware of Gigantic - I thought there was a movie movie, not a documentary with musical performances about the Johns.  I actually have not seen Gigantic, but they might have to make their way to my Netflix cue.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2005, 12:48:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I was aware of Gigantic - I thought there was a movie movie, not a documentary with musical performances about the Johns.  I actually have not seen Gigantic, but they might have to make their way to my Netflix cue.

I saw it when the AFI theatre opened. It was interetesting but I feel no need to see it again. And I've seen these guys live 14 times.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2005, 01:48:58 pm
Quote from: "Max"
but watch carefully and you might realize earlier than I did that he is that show's number one entertainment factor.


Well, I suspect there's a gender difference here - to me this was clear immediately.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: wombat on April 13, 2005, 01:51:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!


This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on April 13, 2005, 02:12:14 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!


This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?


Netflix (http://www.netflix.com/Default) and Greencine (http://www.greencine.com/main) both have it: if you guys are renting about three movies a week one of these online rental services might be great for you. Greencine is especially good if you're looking for odd stuff (and they carry tons of subtitled Asian films (http://www.greencine.com/genre?POST_TYPE=GENRE_NAV&GENRE_ID=91)), though their shipping is hell of slow.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2005, 04:38:33 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!

This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?

This was a Disney/Miramax release so it should be fairy easy to find. Blockbuster might not have but Hollywood Video should and local-chain Video Warehouse almost certainly will.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 13, 2005, 04:52:01 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!

This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?

This was a Disney/Miramax release so it should be fairy easy to find. Blockbuster might not have but Hollywood Video should and local-chain Video Warehouse almost certainly will.


Actually, my local Blockbuster has it, so it wouldn't hurt to check there.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 13, 2005, 06:04:34 pm
I really wanted to see Shao Lin Soccer.  Maybe I should rent it.  If I were to try to pitch it to JL, how would I describe it?  (She likes explosions so we have one point in our favor.)

Jough, you mentioned how wonderful HalfLife2 is.  I concur.  I was so obsessed with it at the time, Jamie bought me the coffee table book Half Life 2: Raising the Bar (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761543643/).  It covers the original game, some mods, and the new game.  It's very pretty.  Check one out on your next dead tree shopping spree.

Arborcide?
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 13, 2005, 06:24:56 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I really wanted to see Shao Lin Soccer.  Maybe I should rent it.  If I were to try to pitch it to JL, how would I describe it?  (She likes explosions so we have one point in our favor.)

The Mighty Ducks with wire-fighting. Plus a special appearance by Team Evil (seriously).
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: jough on April 13, 2005, 08:25:47 pm
Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

If you like Jackie Chan movies you'll probably like Shaolin Soccer, although it's a little different in tone (funnier, more magickal) than Chan flicks.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 13, 2005, 08:54:00 pm
Shaolin Soccer is basically Dragonball Z meets the Mighty Ducks if it wasn't retarded and they decided to use their powers to play soccer instead of sit around grunting (referring to DBZ, of course).

It's a fun and very simple movie. I mean the bad guys are actually called Team Evil, no grey areas there.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2005, 12:13:21 am
Quote from: "jough"
Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

If you like Jackie Chan movies you'll probably like Shaolin Soccer, although it's a little different in tone (funnier, more magickal) than Chan flicks.


I am so looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 01:02:23 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "jough"
Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

If you like Jackie Chan movies you'll probably like Shaolin Soccer, although it's a little different in tone (funnier, more magickal) than Chan flicks.

I am so looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle.

You can already buy the DVD at Amazon.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: Va on April 14, 2005, 05:15:12 pm
Hey Chan Fans, here's one you might not have heard of but is totally worth watching: Miracles (http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60002462&trkid=147042).

Jackie Chan plays an accidental crime lord with a heart of gold in 1930's Hong Kong.  Those who have noticed that Chan is a brilliant physical comedian and want to see him using those chops to great effect will love this movie.  As an extra added bonus, Anita Mui is also in it.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: slink on April 14, 2005, 07:13:01 pm
I know there are relevant pieces in the other thread, but really...

Thus for the X-Files or Gigantic stuff go http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=37640#37640
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2005, 08:12:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

FYI, Shaolin Idiot (also with Chow) is craptacular. I won't even play in many DVD players.*

*Presumably the ones with taste
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: Ben-San on April 15, 2005, 03:41:20 am
God of Cookery, on the other hand, is Steven Chow being completely frickin' awesome.
Title: The Shaolin Thread
Post by: AugustWest on April 15, 2005, 04:53:25 am
When you can snatch the pebble from my thread it is time for you to leave...