The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: lloyd on April 15, 2005, 12:27:11 pm

Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: lloyd on April 15, 2005, 12:27:11 pm
Man, that's gotta be the silliest money-making scheme in the history of mankind, especially since it's so dubious that there's no obvious "humanitarian" angle.

That said, I do think that Ray is on the right track...


Oh, and my first post on the new forums, took me a while to look this place up.. Hi all!
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: side_show on April 15, 2005, 01:26:48 pm
Welcome lloyd!

You'll find we are a jovial and happy bunch, unless you have some sort of horrible brain tick that suddently causes you to type in a cryptic southern drawl.

As for Paris Hilton, well, boo to her.  I mean really.  Yes, it has some how been spun to her advantage that she is basically a porn star, and this strip has me thinking about the possiblity that there may actually have been many people paid large sums to make it happen. I'm confused by her celebrity status in general, and get angry when I see her face on a magazine - it's seriously pavlovian at this point.

Well, now that I'm done ranting - the strip seems a lot like a set up to whatever will occur on Monday.

Also, I came into work and the box office staff had this letter folding machine out that's just like the joint rolling machine, only they were sending out promos for next season, not rolling fatties.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: St_Zartan on April 15, 2005, 01:34:18 pm
I only wish Nick Carter didn't hit like a fuck*ng girl.

BOO HOO HOO

MY TRADEMARK SMIRK (http://members.inode.at/xiaosu.han/paris.jpg)

I like how Li'l Sis is expressing concern with one hand and fingering a gold credit card with the other. Who's gonna make it all better?
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 15, 2005, 02:17:36 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Welcome lloyd!

You'll find we are a jovial and happy bunch, unless you have some sort of horrible brain tick that suddently causes you to type in a cryptic southern drawl.



Agryyd!

Quote from: "side_show"


Well, now that I'm done ranting - the strip seems a lot like a set up to whatever will occur on Monday.


Which means We Return Wednesday.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2005, 02:58:05 pm
Ray's thoughts are precious.  Yeah we need the firm that spun "cock sucking dumbo" into "entrepreneur."  However I think he's set the bar too low.  He needs the firm that spun "coke snorting, draft dodging, frat boy drunk" into "Greatest President Ever."  But what he fails to realize is they all three already have the same agent with a pitchfork on his card.

~Paul

When Paris Hilton is mentioned in the strip things turn ugly fast.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 15, 2005, 04:16:09 pm
Now while I would usually say Paris Hilton is an easy target. I think that Achewood handles hatred of her in new and exciting ways.

Quote
I'm confused by her celebrity status in general, and get angry when I see her face on a magazine - it's seriously pavlovian at this point.


Her and Ashlee Simpson. In fact, I get Ashlee Simpson even less. She has proven how musically inept she is in front of gigantic audiences on two separate occasions, and yet she keeps coming back for more.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: Bozack on April 15, 2005, 04:39:39 pm
I just can't stand how celebrities do the DUMBEST DAMN THING EVER SECOND OF THE DAY.
I just HATE THEM.
If you're famous, and have become so in the last 2 years, you're probably a dumbass. I probably hate you. Sorry!
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: V-Adore on April 15, 2005, 05:21:08 pm
So, uh... celebrities are dumb. Anyway!

Isn't there any love here for the fact that Ray is inexplicably speaking two panels of his internal monologue out loud? So you go right from the bit about the parietal lobe to "... Lyle could catch it with a butterfly net," and you have to wonder how this would possibly sound aloud. Is it possible to be sketchier than the initial plan?
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: jough on April 15, 2005, 05:57:36 pm
Yeah, Paris Hilton jokes are easy (just like Paris Hilton... SEE?) but she's still hot.  

And it's not like she didn't NEED to be smacked around a little.

Anyway, the last panel made me laugh.  Ray's idiotic ideas rarely seem funny, probably due to their being idiotic.

WE RETURN FRIDAY
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: evan on April 15, 2005, 11:42:10 pm
The hidden joke is that Ray is probably the richest guy in Achewood, and he doesn't actually need to steal people's wallets- but he's just so determined to make money with his cocked up paper folder that he's forgotten that.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 16, 2005, 12:26:01 am
Quote from: "evan"
The hidden joke is that Ray is probably the richest guy in Achewood, and he doesn't actually need to steal people's wallets- but he's just so determined to make money with his cocked up paper folder that he's forgotten that.


The extra hidden joke is that he walks around in a thong.

Of course the main idea remains that the cats are standing on their hind legs.

________________
Clandestine.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 16, 2005, 04:01:52 am
Quote
Of course the main idea remains that the cats are standing on their hind legs.


No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

 observe (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142004)

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: miles on April 16, 2005, 04:15:49 am
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

 observe (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142004)

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?


Are you suggesting we bake him a plate of cookies?
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: AugustWest on April 16, 2005, 04:36:33 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

 observe (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142004)

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?


Are you suggesting we bake him a plate of cookies?


I'm going to make him a certificate with very nice calligraphy and gold leaf around the edges.  It'll be an award for Excellence in Imaginary Feline Anatomy.

And I'm going to put it in a faux leopard skin covered frame.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: miles on April 16, 2005, 04:57:02 am
I was also going to suggest something like a certificate, or perhaps a trophy, but didn't want to get nominated for it.  Didn't want to get nominated for the cookies, either, but I figured I could talk my sister into that.

But I doubt he'd want a plate of cookies from a stranger.  Or maybe he's the kind of guy who wouldn't mind.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: AugustWest on April 16, 2005, 05:14:36 am
Quote from: "miles"
I was also going to suggest something like a certificate, or perhaps a trophy, but didn't want to get nominated for it.  Didn't want to get nominated for the cookies, either, but I figured I could talk my sister into that.

But I doubt he'd want a plate of cookies from a stranger.  Or maybe he's the kind of guy who wouldn't mind.


Are you kidding?  Based upon the image Onstad has tried to project through the various vehicles of Achewood, he is the kind of guy who is so prissy about food that nothing will cross his lips unless it has been personally approved by Alton's kosher butcher and written up in no less than three obscure food magazines.  

Ha!  Onstad would never eat anything as low, as plebian, as unsophisticated as your Raisin Roundies!
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: miles on April 16, 2005, 07:39:04 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Ha!  Onstad would never eat anything as low, as plebian, as unsophisticated as your Raisin Roundies!


My mistake.

And they call them roundies down there?
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: St_Zartan on April 16, 2005, 12:30:26 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Are you kidding?  Based upon the image Onstad has tried to project through the various vehicles of Achewood, he is the kind of guy who is so prissy about food that nothing will cross his lips unless it has been personally approved by Alton's kosher butcher and written up in no less than three obscure food magazines.


Yeah, well, watching Shark Week for nineteen hours straight doesn't make me Jacques Cousteau.

The dude drinks Bud Light from cans and puts Miracle Whip on his sandwiches, for heaven's sake. But yeah, the über-foodie schtick, while entertaining and informative, can get a little precious.

T MILES "roundies" is prison slang:
30 commissary roundies = 10 homemade roundies = 1 pack of tailor-mades = 90 seconds of distracting the guards
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: lloyd on April 16, 2005, 02:11:36 pm
I remember that once upon a time Onstad was pleased to receive hella amounts of RAM from board regulars, thus boosting the entire comic production process.

Cookies, in the words of one Hermann Goering, "  will only make you fat (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/hermanngoe166820.html)".


Oh, and if you think paraphrasing guns and butter into RAM and cookies is "stretching things a bit", you have not truly embraced the possibilities of information technology (or cookies).

that is all.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: slink on April 16, 2005, 04:59:28 pm
Quote from: "lloyd"
I remember that once upon a time Onstad was pleased to receive hella amounts of RAM from board regulars, thus boosting the entire comic production process.

Cookies, in the words of one Hermann Goering, "  will only make you fat (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/hermanngoe166820.html)".


Oh, and if you think paraphrasing guns and butter into RAM and cookies is "stretching things a bit", you have not truly embraced the possibilities of information technology (or cookies).

that is all.


This post made me feel tingly.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: ndpatel on April 17, 2005, 06:04:00 pm
Quote from: "lloyd"
in the words of one Hermann Goering


dude, did you just godwin a thread about cartoon cats?

smooooooooth.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: lloyd on April 18, 2005, 11:30:35 am
Quote
dude, did you just godwin a thread about cartoon cats?

smooooooooth.


uh.  (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/) I did wonder whether this could be considered a proper godwin, but I suppose it is.

Dang, not even Paris Hilton's "humanitarian" firm could make quoting nazis acceptable in polite company.

Probably a good thing, too.
Title: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle
Post by: jough on April 18, 2005, 03:33:39 pm
I'm going to accept this as a proper Godwin and do the only thing that is right.