The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Golfhaus on April 15, 2005, 06:47:48 pm

Title: Image editing software
Post by: Golfhaus on April 15, 2005, 06:47:48 pm
With my computer taking the dirt nap, I am now trying to find a new piece of image editing software. In the past, I'd used a "liberated" version of Paint Shop Pro 7, but I'm interested in trying something else from amongst the free, open-source community. Any suggestions? I don't do huge amounts of detailed graphics work, I just need something to make the occasional graphic for my website. Something like the TOUAMB logo up there in the corner would be about the upper boundary of my needs.
Title: Re: Image editing software
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 15, 2005, 07:19:03 pm
Gimp (http://gimp.org/windows/).
Title: Image editing software
Post by: sjlimmer on April 15, 2005, 09:00:37 pm
I've got to second that one. I've been learning the GIMP lately, and it's been handy for putting figures together for papers, presentations, etc...
Title: Image editing software
Post by: Golfhaus on April 15, 2005, 09:16:58 pm
I was afraid of that... last time I installed The GIMP, it wouldn't load - got to a point and then hung up the computer. Had to unplug the damn thing to get it to reset.

It did it this time, too, but just for the hell of it I ran it a second time and it worked. So now I'm fiddling around with it. It'll be an adventure learning the new keystrokes (Ctrl-D for "duplicate" instead of "deselect" like I'm used to), but we'll give it a go.
Title: Image editing software
Post by: slink on April 15, 2005, 09:22:17 pm
I keep wanting to get into using Gimp but never quite manage to. First time I used it it was just a bit lame. It had more in common with Paint than Photoshop and so I just didn't bother. I keep meaning to give it a go now, but  everytime it crosses my mind I am working in some capacity that involves using Photoshop all the time and so I just stick with that.
Title: Image editing software
Post by: jough on April 16, 2005, 03:02:03 am
I used Photoshop to make the TOUMB logo (I should have used Illustrator, but I never bothered to learn how to use it so I pretty much just use Photoshop for everything image related).

Why open source?  Just because of money?

PM me and maybe the software fairy can find something for you to use.
Title: Image editing software
Post by: Max on April 17, 2005, 01:48:23 am
As long as we're on the subject, does anyone know of a website offering decent GIMP tutorials?  I'm trying to hone my skillz for when I take over the college paper next year.
Title: Image editing software
Post by: Golfhaus on April 17, 2005, 02:41:08 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Why open source?  Just because of money?


Mostly money, but there's also a part of me inside that melts every time these companies spend assloads of money developing bloated products, and then position them so that you're a Neanderthal unless you've spent the $300 for it, then some group of nerds gets together, builds another program that does basically the same thing, and gives it away for free.

I am a little distressed that Gimp doesn't have shape-drawing tools. That would seem to be a pretty basic thing that should be in a program of this type.
Title: Image editing software
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 18, 2005, 02:43:30 pm
Using Selections to make Shapes (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Borders_On_Selections/)

This is a silly way to do things.  I agree, they should just put a damn shape tool in.  How hard is that?  It's probably a plugin somewhere.  gimp.org/tutorials has a few descriptions.  I think there's also a manual somewhere on the site.

_____________
Middling.