The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: robot_roll_call on April 16, 2005, 04:14:46 am
-
So first the dude ends Wigu. Then he tries TV Network. He ends that because it isn't popular, and then he decides to do Magical Adventures in Space. And NOW, this week after a Mario and Luigi Sin City interlude (and THIS is after he eludes to bringing back the Wigu characters), he changes the comic to be called "WIGU: A delightful comic about a variety of things". I have never seen a webcomic author go through so many creative phases so fast.
But this isn't a complaint. I like it. A lot. How do the other J Ro fans out there feel about this?
-
I had heard of Wigu of course but just got around to actually reading it last month. What was TV Network?
More Topato! And Todd.
-
TV Network was his project after Wigu. He wanted it to be like watching a diffferent TV show every week. It had a theme, but it also allowed him to do whatever he wanted. I personally enjoyed it (especially American Platypus) but I guess a lot of people didn't gel with it.
-
I liked Wigu - as in the comic about the kid named Wigu, etc - but I wasn't fuck*ng insane about it, like hipsters and girls tended to be. I was happy to find it, read the archives, then check in once a week or so to catch up.
Then there was TV Network or whatever.
Magical Adventures in Space, I think I have actually missed large chunks of, and really, I don't feel any compulsion to go back and make sure.
Overcompensating, on the other hand, is excellent. That there is a comic I wish was daily, twice as long, and in 3-D. Overcompensating cuts through the bullshit:
ROWLAND: Hi, I'm a guy with funny ideas that likes to draw.
ST_Z: Welcome to my brain, Mr. Rowland. Please, make yourself at home.
-
I liked TV Network. Silly forensic science alternating with a platypus, what's not to like? I wish he'd given it more of a chance. But what I really love is Overcompensating. I think it is my second favorite comic right now.
-
I don't get Overcompensating at all. I've looked in on it like 4 times and I just don't grasp what it supposed to be or how it should amuse me.
-
It's like blog and a webcomic, I guess. Is that the deal? A webblomic?
I'm reserving judgment till I get the chance to poke through the archives a bit more, but so far it's hit or miss. Some were pretty funny, though.
-
So far Overcompensating is the only thing he's done that I've dug. I don't rightly no why, but then Drew Weing's Journal Comic was one of my favourite things ever for a long time.
-
If there's one thing the recent run has proven to me, it's that J-Ro just really can't hold an idea for any meaningful length of time. I enjoyed Wigu pretty well, but I'm not surprised he's decided to go pretty scattershot since -- everything is funny, but nothing really congeals into a whole. Come to think of it, I may be just as happy if Wigu becomes a gag-of-the-moment no-continuity thing, like Overcompensating with another level of mental filtration. That would be good.
-
I liked Wigu generally. Science Cop did not do much for me beyond the first strip's introductory spiel, but American Platypus was excellent. Magical Adventures In Space has been okay, and Mushroom Noir is most extremely excellent. Overcompensating is sometimes hit and sometimes miss, but way more hit than miss.
I would not mind Rowland switching themes every week or two or three. He is an artist who embraces his ADHD.
-
And now regular old Wigu is back! And I like this one because I used to do the same thing when I was little.
-
Wow, different art style! Anyway... I'm glad to see it back. I do like the Tinkles. Also, recursion.
-
So I've been enjoying what I've read so far: most of Overcompensating and a few of the Magical Adventures in Space strips. Overcompensating I like better, but the other one is fun so far. After my test tomorrow I'll go and check out some other stuff by him.
His blonde girlfriend/SO/whatever is cute.
-
Jesus. I just realized that I've been reading since his really OLD comic, When I Grow Up, before he started WIGU. I've been...a fan. Overcompensating is amazing, if only for giving us Weedmaster P.
-
I didn't really like Weedmaster P until "NINTENDO IS TOTALLY ABOUT WEED JEFF". Now I like him.