The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on April 19, 2005, 01:27:47 am

Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 01:27:47 am
I can't possibly be the only one on here who sells stuff on eBay.  I'm selling my old laptop, and keep refreshing the "my ebay" selling page every two minutes, always feeling a bit of victory when the price goes up another few (or more!) dollars, with a greater sense or accomplishment the greater the increase from the previous bid (like, it jumped up $55, then another $10, which was disappointing after the previous jump).

So do you refresh obsessively when you have auctions or am I just a pill?
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Bozack on April 19, 2005, 02:33:18 am
....snarky 4th option? COME ON, MAN.

eBay gives me ulcers. My stuff never sells.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Max on April 19, 2005, 03:28:02 am
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: V-Adore on April 19, 2005, 03:44:49 am
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: miles on April 19, 2005, 04:14:53 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


I think you're right, V, but initially I thought it was fuck*ng cool.  Still do, but it is certainly one of the saddest things.

I sold a bunch of 7"s on ebay once, but haven't sold anything since.  I was able to get by checking only three times or so a day.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: CortJstr on April 19, 2005, 01:22:16 pm
I've never sold anything. I usually feel like my crap wouldn't fetch any money. Does anybody really want a VHS copy of Mallrats?
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 19, 2005, 02:51:00 pm
I haven't sold too much.  I did a bunch of crappy CDs a few months ago, more to get rid of them to a good home rather than make money.  So I didn't bother refreshing incessantly.  If I was selling something I thought might actually fetch decent scratch, maybe I'd be more obsessive.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: sjlimmer on April 19, 2005, 03:43:22 pm
I'm too much of a pack rat to actually part with any of the useless crap I have laying about.  But if I ever get the box of old toys out of my parents’ basement, I'll either sell them on eBay, or set them aflame....

Transformer bonfire?
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: St_Zartan on April 19, 2005, 03:48:00 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Transformer bonfire?


Nooooooo
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Max on April 19, 2005, 04:38:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


I ought to add the caveat that at the time I was a high school senior, so by 'primary means of income' I mean 'drug/gas money,' not 'I am a 45 year old man who collects golf balls from a lake for a living.'
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Va on April 19, 2005, 04:50:10 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


You're insane, that is one of the coolest things.  It has to kick the shit out of working at Taco Bell or somesuch.  One begins to suspect you have never been required to earn money.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: V-Adore on April 19, 2005, 05:27:31 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


You're insane, that is one of the coolest things.  It has to kick the shit out of working at Taco Bell or somesuch.  One begins to suspect you have never been required to earn money.

It is cool in exactly two contexts:
1) Max was actually making a comfortable income on it; or
2) Max was not technically living on the money and was using it as a "beer and cigarettes" fund.
This appears to be situation 2, so it's rad in that context. That said, I stand by my belief that the image of an adult person trying desperately to make ends meet via scavenging golf balls and selling them on eBay is plaintively sad.

(Also, what does this have to do with my employment history?)
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 06:13:53 pm
No, he said it was his primary means of income - like, he'd starve and be out on the street were it not for old people's golf balls.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: AugustWest on April 19, 2005, 06:37:27 pm
I thought I read somewhere that people who dive in golf course ponds to retrieve and resell balls can make bank.  Not so sad then.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: slink on April 19, 2005, 06:53:22 pm
I have never actually sold anything on eBay. I've considered it but never got around to it. And now that I picked up Stranger's Wrath, I won't be selling my XBox for a while at least.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: arkabee on April 19, 2005, 08:09:05 pm
the saddest work thing i've ever seen was when that garbage man stepped off the back of the truck onto the curb and snapped his ankle.  he wore those silly pull on boots that have no ankle support.  they had to be cut off his foot, it swelling so fast and all.

the menthal-chainsmoking alcoholic vietnam vet who went through cans looking for beer etc was not as sad as this guy.  you can kind of see it.

but the guy with the boots, well, i dunno, i just didn't see him in that job.  like, some people are climbing.  the driver who looked like a golden retreiver (even wore the bandana around his neck), he obviously started low but was _climbing_ the ladder.  driving really ain't a bad gig, never get out of the A/C'd truck.

the vet, well, you could tell he was falling.  sad?  sure, but it sort of (sickeningly) made sense.

boot guy, though, wtf was he doing?  he was lost.

saddest work thing i ever saw, it was.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Limmo on April 19, 2005, 08:09:56 pm
I actually have something I need to sell on eBay for quick cash.  Any tips for a first-timer?
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: V-Adore on April 19, 2005, 08:34:47 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No, he said it was his primary means of income - like, he'd starve and be out on the street were it not for old people's golf balls.

Well, yeah, but he just posted that he was doing this while in high school and was basically doing it for beer-and-gas money -- in other words, the golf balls weren't the only thing keeping him off the streets. That's what I meant. So... yeah.
Title: eBay Selling Obsessiveness
Post by: Max on April 19, 2005, 11:04:01 pm
You got it, V.

During my year long excursion into the world of golf ball reselling I did have the opportunity to compete with fully grown adults who were doing the same thing, though, and it's true that the income is really unbelievable.  There is a golf ball that costs literally $4 per ball.  Rounding up 5 dozen of those and cleaning them is maybe three hours' worth of work, and then the bidding begins.

Anyway, now I teach little kids religion and make more money, while I literally hemorrhage future money paying for school.