The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: keef on August 19, 2003, 01:50:05 pm

Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: keef on August 19, 2003, 01:50:05 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
When you get to more like 22-23 in human years you’ll start to settle into kind of a routine with a regular job that requires black shoes, and at 25-26 you’ll start drinking to ignore the self-parody you’ve become, and in the late twenties you’ll open your eyes and really start to hate yourself. You’ll live to about 70 or so, I think that’s the lifespan for humans.


PREACH ON BROTHER RAY

Working is fo' suckas.

... yeah, I guess that makes me a sucka.

Do y'all hate your jobs?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 19, 2003, 01:56:28 pm
I don't hate it, but I don't exactly look forward to going in to the office every morning, either.  If only I was a cartoon cat with a big house and a fat recording contract courtesy of the devil.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: keef on August 19, 2003, 02:28:53 pm
Yeah, I don't really hate my job either.  My co-workers are all rad.

I'd just... rather be independently wealthy, that's all.  You know how it is.

I'm still cool on the "self-hate" front, though.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 19, 2003, 04:31:21 pm
I love my job, but my boss is a real tyrant. ;)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jay-ell on August 19, 2003, 05:06:54 pm
I like my job, as jobs go, but I'm looking forward to being unemployed this time next year.  

At this point, I hate having a job, though I'm going to hate leaving this particular job when the time comes.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: beverly on August 19, 2003, 10:37:18 pm
I spend most of my work week contemplating suicide
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: keef on August 19, 2003, 10:55:52 pm
Wow.  That's some serious angst.

What do you do?
Title: Re: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: sjlimmer on August 20, 2003, 01:24:56 am
Quote from: "keef"

Do y'all hate your jobs?


Well, grad school doesn't exactly count as a job, even though I usually do spend more than 40 hrs/wk in the lab.  I don't hate it, by any means, but I don't really like some of the people in my lab, and I'm bored with my research project.  Fortunately, I'm less than a year from graduation (*fingers crossed*), and then I get to find a real job to hate...
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Nabubrush on August 20, 2003, 05:22:07 am
My job ain't so bad. I get six months off a year, and I make more money than I deserve, and the six months I am working everything is paid for in terms of food, shelter, et cetera.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: ferocious j on August 20, 2003, 07:51:03 pm
Holy crap, Nabu, what do you do for a living exactly?  :)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: slink on August 20, 2003, 08:25:43 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Holy crap, Nabu, what do you do for a living exactly?  :)


I'd say web design but he does more work than me :P
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2003, 04:58:50 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Holy crap, Nabu, what do you do for a living exactly?  :)

I work as a subcontractor for an oil company in an oil field which is about 800 miles away from my home.

Oil companies tend to pay a lot. Which is cool.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: misterhaan on August 26, 2003, 09:37:52 pm
i don't mind my job other than it takes time that i would otherwise use for things that i would rather be doing.  my job is basically to be the guy that the tech support people ask when they don't know what to tell the users.  i also have what someone else here with a different job than me called "TS magic" where i can make the software do amazingly cool things that it wouldn't do except that i told it to.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Choop on August 26, 2003, 10:16:32 pm
My job:

(http://www.officecentre.co.th/articles/s255281.jpg)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2003, 02:07:06 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
I like my job, as jobs go, but I'm looking forward to being unemployed this time next year.


Oh my god, did JL just tell us that she's pregnant?

~Paul
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 02:25:44 am
What makes you think JL is even a she?  That avatar?

Dude, avatars lie, like, all the time.

And I keep wanting to poke yours with a pin, Paul.  Is that wrong of me?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 03:20:32 am
The picture JL put up of herself on the rollercoaster was a she. But then anyone can post a pic too....I vote for She and Pregnant. If you are a dude, don't say anything, JL - a bunch of guys on this board will suddenly be VERY conflicted.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2003, 04:02:12 am
Would you still want to poke my avatar with a pin if you knew that the eye belonged to this beautiful young lady?

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/Pic_of_the_Day/Images/DSCN4331-E3-I.jpg)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 05:18:00 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Would you still want to poke my avatar with a pin if you knew that the eye belonged to this beautiful young lady?


Even more so.

Is that your daughter?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2003, 07:58:04 am
All this time I thought that eye belonged to Debbie Reynolds.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2003, 02:27:56 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The picture JL put up of herself on the rollercoaster was a she. But then anyone can post a pic too....I vote for She and Pregnant. If you are a dude, don't say anything, JL - a bunch of guys on this board will suddenly be VERY conflicted.


For goodness' sake.  I'm not pregnant.  I'm hoping to get myself knocked up sometime soon.  We practice every day.   :P   If that doesn't work out I'm quitting my job next fall to go to grad school full-time.  So this time next year, I'll be unemployed one way or the other.  

Sheesh.  Talk about getting personal.  

Here's a better picture of me to prove I'm not a dude.  That's my office in the background.  I have one of those cool self-stick bulletin boards.  It's neat.  

(http://www.ncsu.edu/fctl/Staff/Dunston/dunston.jpg)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 06:10:47 pm
[ducking and running]

So how does that photo prove you're not a dude?

[/ducking and running]
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 06:11:40 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
My job:

(http://www.officecentre.co.th/articles/s255281.jpg)


You tape things for a living, Choop?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2003, 06:33:10 pm
I think he means that he is a human tape dispenser.  

I hear that kind of work comes with good benefits.  Like, free tape.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 07:18:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
My job:

(http://www.officecentre.co.th/articles/s255281.jpg)


You tape things for a living, Choop?


Is it not a red swingline? In which case he sits behind a desk and mumbles incoherently to himself about how unjust his treatment is.
And that he doesn't get paid for it either!
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 08:02:11 pm
And he doesn't get birthday cake, and he is banished to the boiler room. But he does OK in the end...LOVE that reference!

JL doesn't have to prove anything by me. She is one hell of a nice looking dude and I hope he gets pregnant soon.

 :evil:
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2003, 10:32:16 pm
Is beink metaphor for "Red Tape." I have a government job. Woo-freaking-hoo.




In Soviet Russia, tape dispenses you!

*ducks*

*runs*
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 11:23:16 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Is beink metaphor for "Red Tape." I have a government job. Woo-freaking-hoo.




In Soviet Russia, tape dispenses you!

*ducks*

*runs*


::Slaps Choop repeatedly::
You OK now?
No but seriously... Wait there wasn't a seriously there.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2003, 01:47:41 am
Quote from: "jough"

Is that your daughter?


That is the second time you've asked about my daughter, do you have a thing for my daughter?

Dude, if you are in fact a dude, I don't have a daughter.

She's just another girl who's good with computers.

~Paul
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2003, 01:50:50 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
JL doesn't have to prove anything by me. She is one hell of a nice looking dude and I hope he gets pregnant soon.


I concur, JL is one nice looking dude.

BTW, how come JL is the only dude on this board with enough balls to post a picture?

~Paul
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2003, 02:32:28 am
Choop! Despite your refusal to accept my invitation to come out and hang in Hawaii, I must say that I knew there was something I liked about you....from one bureaucratic stooge to another...are you responsible for the (red) tape itself or merely the paperwork to get the (red) tape?

EXCELLENT metaphor!  And since you refer to Atlanta I have this DREAD fear we work for the same agency (although I know there are plenty of Feds in Atlanta)!

Unspeakable.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2003, 03:14:14 am
Woo Hoo for bureaucratic stooges!  One more checkin' in.

Is it breaktime yet?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2003, 03:25:28 am
I don't know if she posted (a pic) out of Balls (once again, is he a chick or is she a dude??) so much of frustration with us continuously speculating on whether or nor she is a dude, and if so, whether or not he is pregnant.

I'm not posting one because, well, I don't photograph well. On account of being unattractive and junk. And because I don't have a twirly mustache, which is awesome.  Now, IF someone who LOOKS like J-L-D  requested a mug shot AND I thought the eventual payoff would be worth the initial trepidation, embarassment, flames and whatever else would result from my mug soiling the net (assuming the person really isn't a pregnant dude like J-L-D apparently is) then.....maybe.  

***Disclaimer: J-L-D is not a pregnant dude but a perky 24 year old with a pic posted elsewhere on this board. I'm just playing along here....thanks.***
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Nabubrush on August 28, 2003, 07:16:52 am
JL is lovely, as she has always been. Paul, that girl whose pic you posted is also lovely, and you can tell her I said so. Seriously, just go up and tell her that some anonymous weirdo on the internet thinks she's cute . . .

Wait, you said she is good with computers. There's probably many anonymous weirdos on the internet that think she's cute.

Anyway, I would post a picture but I don't have the capabilities, and I have enough trouble just handling what is happening right now without trying to find some hosting place to do that for me. Hell, every time I have to sign in to a site that doesn't save my password I have to have it emailed to me or reset.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 28, 2003, 08:12:12 am
I have posted a pic.  

See my avatar?  That's me.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: slink on August 28, 2003, 09:26:44 am
I would post a picture, but well. Noooooooo!
I think the only pictures I have around at the moment are of me smoking or flipping the bird at my mate with the camera. I have a whole roll of film taken from when my ex was last down, but her being ex kind of puts me off getting round to developing it...
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jay-ell on August 28, 2003, 02:17:36 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Woo Hoo for bureaucratic stooges!  One more checkin' in.

Is it breaktime yet?


(To the tune of "What I Am" (http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/morrison/794/tintinout.html))  

Bureaucracy
Is a walk on a slippery rock
Derision
And guile in a blog...

Why that popped into my head is beyond me.  

I work for the gub'mint, too, but for the state rather than the Federation.  I'm employed by a large public university (free grad school, woo!).  

Public sector shout-out in the hiz-ouse, y'all.  Woot.
Title: gov’ment
Post by: satchel on August 28, 2003, 02:31:44 pm
I also work for the state, of Arkansas. I assess the ad valorem tax on Motor Carriers (trucking companies) that drive through here. Yes, you get taxed for just driving through Arkansas (if you haul for hire). No, this is not a new tax, it’s been in effect since 1938. Yes, you are being penalized $100 because you did not file a report in 2003. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t actually travel through Arkansas last year, if you bought a Single State Registration, you still have to file a report, saying you did not travel through the state. I can fax you a report, what is your fax number please.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Choop on August 28, 2003, 04:05:24 pm
State gummit.

Georgia D.O.T. (Transportation, not Technology, unfortunately.)

I'm posting from there right now!!!
Title: money
Post by: satchel on August 28, 2003, 04:28:30 pm
We got our yearly raises today.

2.6%! YEAH!
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jay-ell on August 28, 2003, 04:37:42 pm
All us Southern folk need to get together for a pig-pickin', complete with collard greens, grits, and sweet tea.  We should form a society called "Ache-Heads of the Confederacy."  We should ride around in pickup trucks drinking Ketel One while screaming "What the HELL people" at mobile home communities.  And all the people from the DC area can come and explain to us why we lost the War of Northern Agression.  

Yeah, I wasn't born in the South, either.
Title: Re: money
Post by: jay-ell on August 28, 2003, 04:53:58 pm
Quote from: "satchel"
We got our yearly raises today.

2.6%! YEAH!


You get yearly raises?  

Our state has been in such dire budget crises for the last 2 years that they can't afford to give us COLAs.  Instead, we each get 80 hours of bonus leave that we can use for vacation with our supervisors' approval.  Which is nice, assuming that our supervisors ever let us take vacation.  However, since I'm the only secretary in our department, the chances of me being allowed to use 2 weeks of vacation (in addition to the 2.85 weeks I accrue at a rate of 9.5 hours a month) are slim to none.  And we only get eleven holidays a year -- including the week of Christmas and two days at Thanksgiving.  

So yeah, I'd take a 2.6% raise.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2003, 05:18:40 pm
The Fed folks USED to get real decent recent raises, but the current administration is hell-bent on spending the money I might save on chasing Osama and Saddam around in Iraq and Afghanistan. Already making postures about this coming January. I can't complain though; they moved me to Hawaii and I got a decent pay grade considering.  Interesting how many public sector folks come on here (from home or when officially on leave).

I work for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sounds more exciting than it is although I did get mobilized for the SARS response earlier this year.  Mostly I sit in a public health clinic and ponder how to improve service and progress on eliminating a specific communicable disease with no additional money or staff,  and when that staff refuses to change the way they do business or accept training.

It's sort of a social Karma thing - the work equivalent of being reincarnated as a paramecium.  But the other 16 hours each day are pretty awesome.

I have new respect for Satchel, though. Anyone who can spend a day talking gub-speak to truckers and remain sane must be able to walk across rice paper and leave no trace. You have reached the shambala master level of red tape dispensing. I am not fit to sit at your lotus feet.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2003, 05:25:23 pm
Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction.  And since I'm a management type, no raise for me this year.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: jough on August 28, 2003, 07:26:35 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
State gummit.
Georgia D.O.T. (Transportation, not Technology, unfortunately.)
I'm posting from there right now!!!


Is that why the lines are always so long there?

Bastard.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: satchel on August 28, 2003, 08:01:45 pm
I’m at the Arkansas Public Service Commission (http://www.accessarkansas.org/psc/).
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2003, 10:07:01 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
And all the people from the DC area can come and explain to us why we lost the War of Northern Agression.  

Yeah, I wasn't born in the South, either.

I remember when I went to central VA and heard that term for the first time and I laughed so hard that I nearly lost bladder control.

Also:
(http://members.aol.com/Odysseyan/storTrooper-sh.gif)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Choop on August 28, 2003, 10:54:56 pm
Quote from: "he who adds word censors at random"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
State gummit.
Georgia D.O.T. (Transportation, not Technology, unfortunately.)
I'm posting from there right now!!!


Is that why the lines are always so long there?

Bastard.


Good one. Haven't heard that one before. Ouch, you got me. Really.:roll:

You're thinking of the D.M.V. - here in GA, completely and unilaterally unassociated with the D.O.T. Plus, I catch up on the forum during lunch, which I eat at my desk so I can get more work done in my nearly nine-hour day.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2003, 11:45:29 pm
Choop -

You in charge of making sure they gots enough dirt on the roads down there?

 :twisted:
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: Choop on August 29, 2003, 02:44:02 am
Nah, I build web applications. I'm actually working at home tonight since I've got a deadline coming up next week - some of my Labo(u)r Day weekend will be eaten up by work@home too, but oh, well, I didn't have any pressing plans tonight.

Ahhh, web-surfing breaks. Who thought that up? Instead of sitting at the computer and typing code and reading API docs, you sit at the computer annd type forum posts and read web comics and other forum posts. Not a huge change of pace.


*gets up*
*does a couple laps*
*coughs a bit*
*smokes a Camel*
*sits down*


Man, I should quit running laps around the apartment. It's making me cough.
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2003, 03:41:28 am
Yeah, I often have rather disturbing thought centered around how many hours a day I spend gazing vacantly into a monitor -- both for work and play.  This is what I do for fun?
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: revdj on August 29, 2003, 12:19:51 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

I concur, JL is one nice looking dude.

BTW, how come JL is the only dude on this board with enough balls to post a picture?


Here you go:

(http://www.dougshaw.com/amazon/dougthanksyou.gif)
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: slink on August 29, 2003, 03:55:16 pm
Quote from: "revdj"


Here you go:

(http://www.********.com/amazon/dougthanksyou.gif)


Nooooo! All I can see now is you sat posting in that suit!
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: misterhaan on September 02, 2003, 06:21:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I have posted a pic.  

See my avatar?  That's me.


my avatar is also me.  the background is fake though, so nevermind that.  also i truly am void of color except for my red glasses
Title: having a job and hating oneself
Post by: misterhaan on September 02, 2003, 06:24:27 pm
oh, and while we're on the topic of work, i have to come up with goals for my one-year performance review (though i've now been here for 14 months) before i leave today.  i am majorly goal-setting impaired, so this is taking me all day, and probably would even without internet breaks.