The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: EgoSumNoah on April 19, 2005, 06:44:17 am

Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: EgoSumNoah on April 19, 2005, 06:44:17 am
This review, given such a fine subject matter, managed to avoid both insight and quality writing.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 06:46:22 am
What review would that be?
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 19, 2005, 07:04:22 am
The Fourth Wall As Resilient Inflatable Boxing Clown

and it only gets more verbose from there.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 07:07:06 am
Is this on the internet somewhere, or did the clown pay a visit to your house?
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: antioch on April 19, 2005, 07:27:09 am
Will somebody explain for me why the formatting on the article looks like crap unless it is in full-screen mode (I am using IE) ?

http://www.brown.edu/Students/INDY/archives/2005-03-10/articles/arts-mulkeen_achewood.htm

edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: cellardoor on April 19, 2005, 07:56:58 am
Too much big word!
Brain hurt!
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: St_Zartan on April 19, 2005, 01:20:36 pm
This article was written by a dude that has understood very little of what he's read and retained.

ANY fuck*ng AROUND WITH NARRATIVE CONVENTION DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY JUSTIFY INVOKING "THE FOURTH WALL"

Also, did you ever notice that Roast Beef is emo? Emo? Did you notice? Roast Beef being emo? Because I sure did after reading this piece
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: CortJstr on April 19, 2005, 01:31:43 pm
The Indy? This is the worst formatting I've ever seen on a non-geocities page.

Also, is it wrong that I had no idea where Brown was before?
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 19, 2005, 02:14:13 pm
Quote
edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.


whachu talkin bout?
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: miles on April 19, 2005, 03:33:44 pm
Quote from: "Martin Mulkeen"
Achewood's confused hilarity stems from its fidelity to a dynamic and porous narrative skin.


I stopped here.  It doesn't help that I already have a headache, but this is too much.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: Bozack on April 19, 2005, 08:05:16 pm
Jesus. It's like a parody of McSweeneys. But it's SERIOUS.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: V-Adore on April 19, 2005, 10:23:27 pm
Man, this hits home badly. The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate. I'm uncomfortably used to it. Hell, these are technically my people.

Time to exodus.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 20, 2005, 12:23:00 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, this hits home badly. The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate. I'm uncomfortably used to it. Hell, these are technically my people.

Time to exodus.


This is crap. No-op.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: antioch on April 20, 2005, 07:45:19 am
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote
edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.


whachu talkin bout?


I don't...know. I keep phasing in and out of a place where your signature is different.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: MSC on April 20, 2005, 09:11:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate.


This is very true.  As a Brown graduate, I would like to defend this piece/guy, but I can't.  It is really very bad, and as much as I loved my college, the piece is sadly indicative of much of what I had to endure in many college classes.  

I thought I would never again have to hear about something being "privileged" (i.e. "Calvin and Hobbes privileged the individual subject's imagination in a celebration of both natural and psychological worlds...").  But I guess not.

For the record, the Independent is published by both students at Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design.  So I would like to partially blame RISD, but this guy goes to Brown so to hell with it all.  At least I hope it got him a good grade when he used it in his comparative literature class.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2005, 12:41:25 am
I just hope that it wins Achewood some fans and doesn't drive any potential new ones away.

~Paul
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: V-Adore on April 21, 2005, 02:00:33 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate.


This is very true.  As a Brown graduate, I would like to defend this piece/guy, but I can't.  It is really very bad, and as much as I loved my college, the piece is sadly indicative of much of what I had to endure in many college classes.  

I thought I would never again have to hear about something being "privileged" (i.e. "Calvin and Hobbes privileged the individual subject's imagination in a celebration of both natural and psychological worlds...").  But I guess not.

For the record, the Independent is published by both students at Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design.  So I would like to partially blame RISD, but this guy goes to Brown so to hell with it all.  At least I hope it got him a good grade when he used it in his comparative literature class.

See, I really wasn't thinking specifically in a "Brown" context. I was thinking of a lot of the undergraduate "journalism" that comes out of my future alma mater (Williams), which tends towards this exact same tone. (My favorite recently was the editorial about how we shouldn't argue about on-campus issues because children are starving in India, and the fact that the author at least thought about the starving children made him more morally right than those of us concerned mostly about our housing. Hoo-wee.)
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: Silverberg on April 21, 2005, 03:49:56 pm
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

In any case, that article has made me take a careful look at my own writing and tone down the affectation. I... I don't want to be that guy.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: V-Adore on April 21, 2005, 04:31:27 pm
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.

ANYWAY: if this proves anything, it's that all "elite" liberal-arts colleges are probably about equally sophomoric.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on April 21, 2005, 08:56:34 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.


Big daddy Amherst sits in the corner and says nothing. But he's got a little smile on his face as he watches the little ones play. Oh yes he does.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: arkabee on April 21, 2005, 09:04:14 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.


Big daddy Amherst sits in the corner and says nothing. But he's got a little smile on his face as he watches the little ones play. Oh yes he does.


dude, i liked your signature better in nu-welsh.

and, isn't arguing which massachusett's college is better sort of like someone from TN saying "hey, are school systems rank higher in a national list than Arkansas!".

i mean, have some dignity people.


ps, yes, the typo is ironic because i caught it BEFORE i pressed submit.  otherwise it's retarded and proves a point.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: V-Adore on April 21, 2005, 09:30:22 pm
There, thread split. Now we can get back on the topic of the obvious moral inferiority of the Smallpox Hamsters, as well as their many, many other faults.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: Beatrice on April 22, 2005, 03:57:27 pm
ooh, i started.  and then it sucked and i stopped.
Title: Brown's Boxing Clown
Post by: jough on April 22, 2005, 03:58:58 pm
Anyone who uses the word "episteme" without irony cannot be trusted.