The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on April 19, 2005, 10:18:35 pm

Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 10:18:35 pm
Hey kids,

If any of you are programmers by profession or hobby, let me know.  We're looking to do a little work towards making a full-on Achewood info site and could use some help with either programming or just advice about HOW to go about programming something.  Someone who knows PHP and how to code using OOP would be the most helpful, but even if you can assist as an advisor every little bit would help.

Just reply to this thread if you're interested.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Choop on April 19, 2005, 11:49:44 pm
I've been looking to learn PHP, but I know a bit already about OOP and OODesign. Any architects/structure folks already on the team?
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 11:58:03 pm
Just me, and maybe Gimpson or Pedro - they haven't weighed in much yet - but if you're down with joining our merry band of men and women, Choop, let me know.  We could use your insight.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 20, 2005, 12:24:27 am
Quote from: "jough"
Just me, and maybe Gimpson or Pedro - they haven't weighed in much yet - but if you're down with joining our merry band of men and women, Choop, let me know.  We could use your insight.


I can help as time permits (I'm more of a perl guy) but why not just use OTS wiki software? For achewood info it would really be perfect.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 20, 2005, 02:56:46 am
I'm using wiki software for the Open Poetry Project (http://wiki.poetryx.com) but I don't know how useful it would be for tagging strips.  

But good call for info and stuff.  We could certainly use a Wiki on top of our homebrew tag DB and of course these forums.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 20, 2005, 03:09:54 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'm using wiki software for the Open Poetry Project (http://wiki.poetryx.com) but I don't know how useful it would be for tagging strips.  

But good call for info and stuff.  We could certainly use a Wiki on top of our homebrew tag DB and of course these forums.


If you want to tag only, (I really haven't read the tag thread) -- how does something akin to http://del.icio.us sound? I believe there is an open source alternative, delirio.us .
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 20, 2005, 03:12:08 am
I've been looking at off-the-shelf tagging solutions but none of them seem well suited for what we're looking to do.  

And this doesn't seem like it would be that difficult a thing to build rather than buy.

I've added you to the group - feel free to post in the super secret forum if you'd like, or not.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: CortJstr on April 20, 2005, 03:16:45 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "jough"
Just me, and maybe Gimpson or Pedro - they haven't weighed in much yet - but if you're down with joining our merry band of men and women, Choop, let me know.  We could use your insight.

I can help as time permits (I'm more of a perl guy) but why not just use OTS wiki software? For achewood info it would really be perfect.

a wiki could work for the FAQ we never got around to.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: evan on April 20, 2005, 03:47:50 pm
I've got a fair bit of experience with PHP, although I haven't done much OOP in PHP it can't be that hard, right? (heh)

When you say "Tagging" strips are we talking about a dialogue search, like this one (http://sluggy.net/temp-tom/search-phrase.php)?
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 20, 2005, 03:58:36 pm
I'm thinking more of Technorati tags or Flickr tags.

See the thread in the Science & Nature category.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Golfhaus on April 20, 2005, 04:07:18 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
a wiki could work for the FAQ we never got around to.


In the past, I'd thought about starting an Achewiki on my hosting space. Never got myself motivated to start it up, though. I would be an updating ADDICT on an Achewiki.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: evan on April 20, 2005, 05:15:38 pm
ok, I read the thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841) in the other forum. I think I can see how it could work... I'd have to think about it a little more but I think it could be done fairly simply, actually.

The same system could be used as a dialogue search, too, now that I think about it... you'd just add a tag that says "Ray: Welcome to Fuck You Friday!" and then you could find that strip by searching for Ray Fuck You.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 20, 2005, 05:21:21 pm
Yes, we plan to tag dialogue, characters, locations, items, etc.

For instance, if you were looking for strips that have the Roomba in it, search for "Roomba" and poof, you get a list.

Want to know every strip that has Todd in it?  No problem.

T-shirt saying?  Friday?  Sure!

The more people who tag each strip the more likely the results are going to be accurate.  It's so simple yet so powerful.

If you're interested, Evan, I'll add you to the group so you can read the threads that are more details than these here.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Beatrice on April 22, 2005, 03:52:04 pm
what is this strange language?  i am frightened.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on April 22, 2005, 03:52:44 pm
Then mission accomplished.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: Va on May 06, 2005, 02:24:37 pm
I might be able to help.  I'm a database person--will this involve a database?  I'm a trained programmer but I don't know any sexy languages except a smattering of Python--I'm a pretty good shell scripter, though.  I've been wanting to learn PHP.
Title: Calling All Programmers
Post by: jough on May 06, 2005, 04:14:18 pm
Yes, this will involve a mySQL database and PHP.

I'll add you to the group so you can see the now neglected forum.