The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2005, 03:36:58 am
-
Today is the tenth anniversary of the Bombing at the Federal building in Oklahoma City. It's also the anniversary of the final day of the seige at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not that I saw this truck while driving home from work earlier today.
Weird...
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/WACO_OKC_10YRS/DSCN4191-E-500.jpg)
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/WACO_OKC_10YRS/DSCN4191-E2-500.jpg)
In case you can't read it all...
In Reflective Mailbox letters:
DEFEAT TERRORISM
LOS ALAMOS
ELIAN OKL.
911(5)
444
WACO
RUBY RIDGE
ELECT MARLON HOUSTON HARRIS COUNTY SHERRIF
Bumper Stickers
1 Support our troops Yellow Ribbon
5 for various local politicians (all right wingers)
1 for Tom DeLay
4 for George Bush
1 for the Air Force
3 for the Marines
Yikes!
~Paul
-
Having both "Ruby Ridge" and "OKL" is pretty weird. Wasn't the Oklahoma City bombing supposed to have been a reaction to Ruby Ridge?
Also, what does 911 (5) mean? What's the significance of 911 to the 5th power? I don't get it.
-
Wait. Is that flag in the bed of the truck? I don't know why, but it took me a bit to realize that. Now that's patriotism.
And I don't get what message some of the stickers are trying to convey...
Elian OKL.? Is Elian a city?
Or maybe it's two stickers, like one in remembrance of little Elian and one in remembrance of the bombing. Though for some reason I would assume this character to be pals with McVeigh. That's unfair. But, come on.
I did hear some stuff on NPR throughout the day about the anniversary--including some interesting interviews of paramedics who were there--at least when NPR wasn't Radio Pope. Although, even though I'm not Catholic, I found the news really excting and was glued to the radio for a good hour before I went to school.
-
It was funny, all morning yesterday the main story on the Post was the anniversary and nobody seemed to noticed. But starting at 12:01 people couldn't F5 fast enough and all work just stopped.
-
Elian OKL.? Is Elian a city?
It occured to me this morning that Elian is probably that Cuban kid that dominated the news a few years ago.
Maybe he needs to update his tailgate to include Teri Schivo.
~Paul
-
I did hear some stuff on NPR throughout the day about the anniversary--including some interesting interviews of paramedics who were there--at least when NPR wasn't Radio Pope. Although, even though I'm not Catholic, I found the news really excting and was glued to the radio for a good hour before I went to school.
So am I the only one who is completely sick of Silvia Poggioli? Dang, it's like she's had her own show for the last several months.
Also, what is the significance of 444?
-
So, what's that truck owner trying to say? Defeat terrorism such as Waco and Ruby Ridge? Or remember the victims of Waco and Ruby Ridge, and defeat terrorism as long as it involves brown-skinned foreigners?
-
It's a very confused tailgate.
~Paul
-
The realm of logic rarely infiltrates the minds of those who decide to decorate their cars like this. It's one thing to have A STICKER. Maybe TWO STICKERS. But the amount of effort he put into this shows that he might not be preheating his oven before cooking.
-
The realm of logic rarely infiltrates the minds of those who decide to decorate their cars like this. It's one thing to have A STICKER. Maybe TWO STICKERS. But the amount of effort he put into this shows that he might not be preheating his oven before cooking.
I feel the same way about those who sit on the other side of the aisle.
In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often. Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.
-
In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often. Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.
I saw a person driving a car before the election who had two stickers on her bumper. One said "Kerry/Edwards 2004" and the other said "I Have Issues". I wanted to pull her over and say "You're Not Helping!"
-
I feel the same way about those who sit on the other side of the aisle.
In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often. Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.
Craziness is not relegated to one side of the aisle. There are f'in looines in both ranks. It seems you find more crazies on the underrepresented side of wherever you are. The liberal nuts will be more visible in conservative areas and vice versa. Here in Hampton Roads, I saw on several occasions a truck not unlike this one, with a huge handmade sign that said "OLIVER NORTH BELONGS IN PRISON NOT THE US SENATE" during his Senate campaign.
At least they break up the monotony of the drive.
-
Craziness is not relegated to one side of the aisle. There are f'in looines in both ranks. It seems you find more crazies on the underrepresented side of wherever you are. The liberal nuts will be more visible in conservative areas and vice versa.
This may not be the case in Texas, where everyone is crazy.
I love Texas.
-
Ok it's time for an update. I'll appologize in advance for only having sketchy incomplete information.
I saw this truck again about a month to six weeks ago. He was driving through my neighborhood. I tried to catch up with him to take a followup picture because it appears he has added more lettering to his truck. I never could catch him because he drives like a bat out of hell.
Maybe two weeks ago I saw this truck on the news. Actually it wasn't the news, but one of those teasers they show during primetime to peak your interest so you'll hopefully stick around and watch the news when it airs at 10 pm. I didn't stick around, but in the teaser they showed the truck and on the left rear fender he had lettering something to the effect of Kill all Muslims. I can't recall what it actually read, but it was something that would be very offensive to anyone left of the say the KKK. It was Klan level offensive. The voice over was saying "1st ammendment speech or hate speech?" So apparently i'm not the only one who has noticed that this guy is cracked.
~Paul
-
It is good that you can tell who to run off the road without meeting them nowadays.
This reminded me of something on the Daily Show the other night. I will have to rip it into a small video as my attempt to describe it kind of fails. It will appear shortly.
-
I don't get the 444. April 4th, 2004 was the day Casey Sheehan was killed but I'm not sure how that fits into the rest of the confused agenda here. April 4 was also the day Dr King was assassinated but the third 4 doesn't make sense.
-
How many were killed in Waco?
~Paul
-
From Googling "444+ terrorism":
"Syria, Libya, Iran, and Iraq were a few of the countries which sponsored terrorism. One of these terrorist acts was the seizing of sixty-six Americans in Iran in 1979 by students. Fifty-two of them were held hostage for 444 days and this terrorist action may have determined the outcome of the 1980 United States Presidential election."
So that explains that.
-
How many were killed in Waco?
~Paul
The original death toll was 86, it was later revised down to 77. I think that the fire subsequent to the BATF action made it difficult to know exactly how many were there.
Also, good call on the 444. I actually knew that number but I was for whatever reason fixated on it representing a date. It's been coming up in news recently as there are some of the former hostages claiming that the current Iranian leader was actually the mastermind of the attack and occupation of the US Embassy in Iran back in '79.