The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on April 20, 2005, 04:27:02 pm

Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: miles on April 20, 2005, 04:27:02 pm
When I was in Vegas once I saw this guy with a monkey trained to take money from people after he did a trick.  If you offered the monkey a coin, he would wave it away and beg until you offered a bill.  That was one smart monkey.  Few could resist.

Then I see this (http://www.slate.com/id/2117021/).  What I'm most amazed at is that monkeys are trained to cook and serve food.  Isn't that insane?

"My, this quiche is wonderful!"

"Thank you.  My monkey prepared it."

I don't know if I would ever own a monkey, but this site (http://www.primatestore.com/forsale.htm) is fun to look at.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: Choop on April 20, 2005, 04:50:20 pm
http://www.simulatedcomicproduct.com/index.php?cid=8
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2005, 09:50:48 pm
Quote from: "miles"


I don't know if I would ever own a monkey, but this site (http://www.primatestore.com/forsale.htm) is fun to look at.


Oh dear.  Please, you don't want to own a monkey.  It's a bad idea.  And it's not as much fun as you think.  They have very stinky poop. I speak from professional experience.
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2005, 12:49:56 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "miles"


I don't know if I would ever own a monkey, but this site (http://www.primatestore.com/forsale.htm) is fun to look at.


Oh dear.  Please, you don't want to own a monkey.  It's a bad idea.  And it's not as much fun as you think.  They have very stinky poop. I speak from professional experience.

Yes, but the world is full of people with very little sense yet large bankrolls.  It's the only possible explanation for the existance of a domesticated monkey farm.

~Paul
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 21, 2005, 04:19:54 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "miles"


I don't know if I would ever own a monkey, but this site (http://www.primatestore.com/forsale.htm) is fun to look at.


Oh dear.  Please, you don't want to own a monkey.  It's a bad idea.  And it's not as much fun as you think.  They have very stinky poop. I speak from professional experience.


Obviously you have never been around a baby just making the switch from breast milk to solid food. Or an exclusively formula-fed baby.

At least the monkey would <do> stuff for you.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: miles on April 21, 2005, 05:04:39 am
I'm fairly certain I'll never own a monkey.  It'll be years before I get a dog again.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: miles on April 21, 2005, 02:25:55 pm
Jesus!  A foot was severed?  I'm sure some people come out of shark attacks in better shape!

Quote from: "CBC News"
His testicles and a foot were severed and he will require extensive surgery to re-attach his nose.


Most painful sentence to read ever.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: V-Adore on April 21, 2005, 02:36:35 pm
Holy God. That is in fact one of the most painful sentences I've read lately.
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2005, 06:12:02 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Obviously you have never been around a baby just making the switch from breast milk to solid food. Or an exclusively formula-fed baby.



All primates are equally bad poopers, pretty much.

I feel compelled to point out that chimps are apes, not monkeys, but all primates are also equally bad pets.
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: miles on April 21, 2005, 08:12:34 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I feel compelled to point out that chimps are apes, not monkeys, but all primates are also equally bad pets.


Well, there are bad pets and there are bad pets.

That is to say, are all primates equally capable of chewing a human foot off and feasting on his reproductive organs?

So far the main thing I've heard about monkeys (or apes) is that their poop stinks and that they throw it.  Also, I've always heard it's generally not a good idea to have exotic pets of any kind.
Title: Re: Monkey NARCs
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2005, 08:18:28 pm
Quote from: "miles"

That is to say, are all primates equally capable of chewing a human foot off and feasting on his reproductive organs?



Well, I wouldn't worry about the average pygmy marmoset, unless you gave it an awful lot of time to work on it.  Still, it's not the only criteria that you'd want to use to judge its suitability for pet-hood.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: Ben-San on April 21, 2005, 09:45:03 pm
Whenever I look at this thread, when I scroll past the line about the severed foot and the nose reattachment I start laughing uncontrollably. I do not think that dismemberment is funny and discussing it makes me a little nauseous but for some reason that line specifically makes me laugh really hard. Why is that?
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: miles on April 22, 2005, 03:14:22 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Whenever I look at this thread, when I scroll past the line about the severed foot and the nose reattachment I start laughing uncontrollably. I do not think that dismemberment is funny and discussing it makes me a little nauseous but for some reason that line specifically makes me laugh really hard. Why is that?


Partly because the idea of a chimp severing a human foot is really ridiculous?  Seriously.  I mean, maybe a shark, but a chimp?
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: Max on April 22, 2005, 03:48:20 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Whenever I look at this thread, when I scroll past the line about the severed foot and the nose reattachment I start laughing uncontrollably. I do not think that dismemberment is funny and discussing it makes me a little nauseous but for some reason that line specifically makes me laugh really hard. Why is that?


Partly because the idea of a chimp severing a human foot is really ridiculous?  Seriously.  I mean, maybe a shark, but a chimp?


We're talking about chimps that chewed off most of a man's face.  I think in this case disbelief can be suspended.
Title: Monkey NARCs
Post by: Bozack on April 22, 2005, 06:00:12 am
...Yeah, Congo WAS a pretty cool movie.