The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on April 24, 2005, 04:32:25 am

Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: jough on April 24, 2005, 04:32:25 am
I got to hear the new Weezer album tonight, and it is good.

Although once again they released the album's worst song as the first single.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 24, 2005, 04:45:36 am
Kind of like NIN did. It must be a new trend. I guess making people think your album will be bad sells more?
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: jough on April 24, 2005, 04:50:11 am
Oh, I don't even know what the NIN single is.  The album is starting to grow on me, though.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: miles on April 24, 2005, 05:26:29 am
I guess my friends are seeing them up in Seattle soon, and they're excited.  I loved the blue album, but I haven't heard more than a handful of songs since that one.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: jough on April 24, 2005, 06:32:27 am
Yeah, I was never a fan until recently.  I knew of the singles from the blue album (heck, the video for "Buddy Holly" was even included as a multimedia demo on the original Windows 95 installation disc) but never owned the album until last fall.  I picked up the other three since I liked it so much.

I really like Pinkerton, but the last two albums didn't do much for me.  The new one is a lot like Pinkerton musically, actually.

I mean, you just GOT TO love a band who follows up a smash success with a rock reimagining of Madame Butterfly.  Could anything have less commercial potential? (other than the Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****").
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: miles on April 25, 2005, 05:58:14 am
Pinkerton is probably the album I've heard the least amount of, even though it's probably the one most often recommended.  I wasn't listening to the radio a lot when it was released, and I don't think it got much play anyways.

It's going on the list.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: antioch on April 25, 2005, 06:49:09 am
I always saw Weezer albums as,

Blue : Pinkerton

Green : Maladroit

hooky and clean-cut : noodley and bearded

I'm going to have to rethink this after I hear the new one.


I thought Weezer 95 was actually from Happy Days for years after I saw that video. I also thought there were multiple Weezers because of the "Our very own...Weezer!" line. Windows again, huh?
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: starlight on April 25, 2005, 11:42:29 am
I'm rather torn on Weezer.
There was a time I obsessed and I have a whole burned copy of bsides I made of their stuff, but honestly in the past few years, I've listened to them very little.

Pinkerton did have some staying power among them all though.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: CortJstr on April 25, 2005, 12:50:57 pm
People always say that Pinkerton is the best album but dammit I relate to Blue much more. I had a 12-sided die, and Kittie Pryde! And Nightcrawler too, waiting there for me. Although a friend had to tell me who Ace Freely was.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: jough on April 25, 2005, 04:23:08 pm
Yeah, I like the songs on the blue album better too.  Pinkerton is just such a bold and odd albums that you have to respect it.  You just have to.

And I think it's a more musically "mature" work than the blue or green albums.  The new one is actually more frat-boy-rock-ish.  Seriously, some of this stuff sounds like Smash Mouth or one of those "Kid Kid Yellin'" bands.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: antioch on April 25, 2005, 05:35:34 pm
I noticed the Smash South similarity in the new single. I liked that stuff better when it was the theme song for Arthur on PBS.

edit: I meant PBS and not TBS.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 25, 2005, 09:20:17 pm
I think I am the only person in my age range who is totally indifferent to Weezer. I don't not like them, but I'm not a fan either.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: miles on April 25, 2005, 10:44:35 pm
Wow.  So I was at my grandparents today, watching TV because they have satellite and I don't even have cable, while skipping class, and I saw the video for Beverly Hills (or whatever it's called) twice.  I really didn't like it.  Usually I am OK with videos that feature attractive people dancing, but it really bothered me.

But you say that the rest of the album is better?
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: CortJstr on April 25, 2005, 10:45:47 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Wow.  So I was at my grandparents today, watching TV because they have satellite and I don't even have cable, while skipping class, and I saw the video for Beverly Hills (or whatever it's called) twice.

Vi-de-o?
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: jough on April 26, 2005, 06:09:23 am
Yes, but in a Weezer video those beautiful people are viewed with a great deal of scorn.  

Oh, and that stupid section in the middle of the video where he talks for a bit (always annoying in songs after the first listen) is not on the album.
Title: Weezer "Make Believe"
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2005, 05:50:38 pm
I like Weezer, i've got the Blue Album I think [the first one], but i'm not a huge fan.  I don't think i've heard anything from any of their other albums except when I saw them play on television.  Hash Pipe probably.  The Buddy Holly Song is great.  I'd probably like the rest of their albums, but my attention has been elsewhere.

~Paul