The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: CortJstr on May 01, 2005, 08:11:27 pm

Title: Primer
Post by: CortJstr on May 01, 2005, 08:11:27 pm
Has anybody else out there seen Primer? I rented it after reading a review saying it's too geeky for most people (he compares it to a Wired article that goes over your head in 3 sentences) and damn. It's one of those movies where after I finished it I spent an hour online reading other people's theories as to what happened. Kind of like Memento or Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Title: Primer
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2005, 10:11:24 pm
This is the first i've heard of it.  I guess they took one look at me and figured i'd never get it anyway.

~Paul
Title: Primer
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2005, 12:01:01 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
This is the first i've heard of it.

Review (http://movies.insidepulse.com/article.php?contentid=36512)
Title: Primer
Post by: jough on May 02, 2005, 04:20:05 am
Yeah, I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

It won Sundance last year.  

It's not a bad film - I was actually intrigued by it, but I'm going to have to see it again to see if the last 20 minutes or so is actually incomprehensible or if it is possible to understand just from what's presented in the film.

I mean, I *think* I understood what happened, and why, and how, but it got a little murky for a bit.

Very "smart" movie, though.  Lots of good dialogue about things that sound tecnhical.  And the writer/director/star was an engineer in his prior life, so he knows how to at least BS like a pro.
Title: Primer
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2005, 02:31:43 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's not a bad film - I was actually intrigued by it, but I'm going to have to see it again to see if the last 20 minutes or so is actually incomprehensible or if it is possible to understand just from what's presented in the film.

I mean, I *think* I understood what happened, and why, and how, but it got a little murky for a bit.

Very "smart" movie, though.  Lots of good dialogue about things that sound tecnhical.  And the writer/director/star was an engineer in his prior life, so he knows how to at least BS like a pro.

I think one part of the ending requires a 2nd viewing just to see the [spoiler item] that we find out is really important. I honestly can't vouch for its presence after one viewing.

I did like how at the beginning the characters barely know what their technobabble means and we're certainly not supposed to get it. And it's cool that the writer participates in the forum.