The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: CortJstr on August 20, 2003, 07:50:24 pm
-
Okay people, I need some suggestions for some time killers. That is, free single player games, preferably downloadable.
I've played through Sherlock like 50 times and I need some time off from EWR 4.0.
Lay some knowledge down on me, people.
-
go to games.yahoo.com
My fave is "pileup" these days. The DynoMite game is fun, too. There are many others, all downloadable.
Doug
-
www.snood.com
-
www.snood.com
Tom Murphy 7 and I used to be virtual chat pals!
-
Who's Tom Murphy?
-
Snood's a Bust-A-Move clone, right?
I've already pretty much played out all the Popcap and Gamehouse games, so things like MSN games and Yahoo games don't have much to offer.
-
I dunno, what's Bust-a-move?
-
I dunno, what's Bust-a-move?
Dynomite is also a Bust-A-Move clone. Colored balls fill the top of the screen, you shoot balls up and when 3 or more of the same color touch the pop and fall away. Special super balls come up occasionally to give bonuses like a laser sight.
-
Oh, OK. Dynomite I've got. Also Bubble Bobble. Snood is a little different, and I like it better. More like a turn based strategy game instead of a RTS.
Perhaps we could be more helpful if you described what sort of games you enjoy.
-
Perhaps we could be more helpful if you described what sort of games you enjoy.
Hmm. There's always Nethack (RPG). Mordor (RPG) I liked a lot but it won't run on anything newer than Win95. The previously mentioned Sherlock (logic puzzle).
I know there's lots of fun games out there on like CNet and stuff I just hate downloading like 25 that suck to find the one decent one, you know?
-
Get an emulator and go to www.classicgaming.com for that delicious nostalgic sixteen-bit flavor.
-
Troubles of Middle-Earth (ToME for short) (http://www.t-o-m-e.net) is basically what happens when you take the Nethack/Rogue/Angband model of gaming, run it through a few levels of distortion, and crank it up to 11. It's a frighteningly evil game but quite possibly the best time-killer out there. A different Angband hub (http://angband.oook.cz) has lots of similar games along the same lines, many of them also very evil.
-
Get an emulator and go to www.classicgaming.com for that delicious nostalgic sixteen-bit flavor.
if you get a neo geo emulator, you can pick up a rom for this great fighting game called "time killers"
-
There are dozens of good, free, old school games at The Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org/).
-
There are dozens of good, free, old school games at The Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org/).
And indeed many other AbandonWare sites (http://www.abandonwarering.com/).
I have a rather scary collection of emulators and abandonware now, just in case one day I cannot get copies of them again, I feel it best to catalogue the old games I loved.
Yes, I'm that geeky!
-
There are dozens of good, free, old school games at The Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org/).
This site is absolutely wonderful. I've now downloaded two games that I'd been yearning for since about '98. I got Alien Crossfire the expansion pack for Alpha Centauri and an old NFL simulator from about 1986 that I loved because it was all strategy and did not require any manual dexterity.
I think I'm gonna download the Kroz games tomorrow. That or Hammurabi.
-
Partly because this was getting off track and partly because these Modly powers were burning a whole in my virtual pocket I split off the Atari-talk.
-
Some of my great abandonware downloads have been:
Marble Madness
Alone in the Dark
Another World
Flashback
Commander Keen
Neuromancer
Prince of Persia
Tau Ceti (the space sim not the tube action game thing)
Needless to say there are many more old, old games I need to get, but it takes time!
-
Neuromancer was one of my favourites for the C64. Does it include the soundtrack by Devo?
-
Neuromancer was one of my favourites for the C64. Does it include the soundtrack by Devo?
I'm not sure. I've not played it in a while, and it doesn't seem to work now. I'll have a look at it later and find out. It also may well have done, but setting up sound for a game that old isn't easy, since it is the old PC version of it, no the C64 version.
-
Commander Keen
There's my entire childhood, right there. Oh man, the day I downloaded an emulator and the rom of that was awe-inspiring.
-
I owned the Neuromancer game, and on the box it said "Featuring music and scenes from the upcoming motion picture!"
So I waited for the movie. And waited. And it never came out.
IMDB only tells me this:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0379907/
-
I never played Commander Keen but I remember the shareware Duke Nukem apparently came with my version of DOS. I could never find all the damn keys and shit.
-
I owned the Neuromancer game, and on the box it said "Featuring music and scenes from the upcoming motion picture!"
So I waited for the movie. And waited. And it never came out.
IMDB only tells me this:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0379907/
I'm somewhat glad the movie never happened, given what happened to Johnny Mnemonic when it got made.
I swear, if you ever get insomnia, put that movie on and you fall straight asleep!
-
if you get a neo geo emulator, you can pick up a rom for this great fighting game called "time killers"
Hell yeah! Let's hear it for chopping off limbs with a chainsaw.