The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: miles on May 04, 2005, 08:16:17 am

Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: miles on May 04, 2005, 08:16:17 am
When he was describing the Tom Sawyer scheme, I was fairly certain that it would never work, anywhere, on anybody.

But, you know, if it was the right girl, with the right wink, and I had a couple or so beers in me, it just might work on me.

Also, Jough, are you writing to Ray for poetry advice?
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: jough on May 04, 2005, 08:22:00 am
No, I would never ask Ray for advice about writing poetry, but his advice in this matter is actually not too bad.  One of the things that I tend to write often on papers of neophyte poets is "ugh, too POETIC".

And Tintern Abbey is just not a good poem.  I don't think it's emblematic of the problem most people have with Tennyson, though.  Especially since it was written by William Wordsworth.

I mean, Henry James is way more flowery than any poet I've ever read, and he wrote popular novels - he was like the John Grisham of his day, except that he didn't lawyer melodramas and was a good writer.

James was the writer that took four pages to open a door, for those keeping score at home.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: jough on May 04, 2005, 08:27:00 am
P. S.

http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/705/
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on May 04, 2005, 11:49:44 am
Ray kicking off his answer by asking the petitioner "[d]o you have the audio book of Tom Sawyer" is just subtly brilliant on a couple of levels.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2005, 12:47:12 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Ray kicking off his answer by asking the petitioner "[d]o you have the audio book of Tom Sawyer" is just subtly brilliant on a couple of levels.

Damn straight. He fricking went back in time and MET Mark Twain and he still can't be bothered to actually read his most famous book.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: MSC on May 04, 2005, 01:54:53 pm
"You can’t hide a huge old body with a little band of hair that is just sort of arbitrarily grown across an expanse of jiggly jowl-flesh. "

Damn, thank you.  I have been waiting for someone to say that (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050420/050420_scott_savol_vsm.vmedium.jpg).
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: lloyd on May 04, 2005, 02:27:25 pm
Anybody else notice that the omitted name of the female friend that was to be seduced by Nat King Cole music was actually Neetu, and that Ray forgot to omit it the second time around?

Typically Ray. He only draws attention to the name by trying to be nice and leave it out.

Also, did anybody read High Fidelity? There's a guy who's serious about his mix-tapes, though hardly as classy as Nat King Cole...
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: jough on May 04, 2005, 02:28:43 pm
I thought it was funny that he assumed the apartment painting girl was illiterate.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 04, 2005, 07:17:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I thought it was funny that he assumed the apartment painting girl was illiterate.


I took it to mean that Ray just assumed EVERYONE buys books on tape because that's what he does.  Ray's self-centered, not condescending.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: CortJstr on May 04, 2005, 07:49:52 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Quote from: "jough"
I thought it was funny that he assumed the apartment painting girl was illiterate.

I took it to mean that Ray just assumed EVERYONE buys books on tape because that's what he does.  Ray's self-centered, not condescending.

Why read myself when I can have a celebrity it read to me?
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: MattFish on May 06, 2005, 05:27:08 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Why read myself when I can have a celebrity it read to me?


and if it is someone with a deep, soothing voice, like James Earl Jones, you can pretend it is your grandpa who is reading you a bedtime story before he tucks you in and you drift off to a peaceful, dream-rich sleep.

I particularly like the "It's man-time" sentence.

and MSC's linked image made me fall off my chair. That is some jiggly jowl-flesh that is just not being hidden by any means.
Title: Ray's Place -- May 4, 2005
Post by: Franz. on May 06, 2005, 06:06:33 pm
Does anyone else suspect that the two unsigned letters are by Onstad?

[ Franz. ]