The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 04:52:41 pm

Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 04:52:41 pm
I found it through Lileks.com.  I know at least a few others did.  Vote, then discuss.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Flenker on August 01, 2003, 04:58:25 pm
A friend of mine showed me a couple comics and I was instantly hooked.  I read through the archives in a few hours, a combination of not having anything to do and not being able to stop.  Now I am addicted to it like it is sweet, sweet heroin
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Freddie Fractions on August 01, 2003, 04:58:33 pm
You forgot memepool yo!
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 04:58:39 pm
I got wind of Achewood through my girlfriend's friend.  And they both pointed me toward Wigu, as I bear an uncanny resemblance to General Elvis Bot.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Freddie Fractions on August 01, 2003, 05:04:52 pm
Yeah I did the archives in under a (work) day.  I did that somewhat recently with drewweing.com and slowwave.com too.  It's such a different way to consume webcomics that it's almost a letdown when you have to wait for new ones daily.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 05:09:08 pm
I answered "... a friend ..." but really it was from some other web developer's blog.

And it's funny, because I read the first few months before I started reading the strip and thought "Lame.  Mega lame.  Christopher Reeves Lame."

But then I saw it come up again and it was the start of the Subway plot line and when Ray said that he could get "Six kinds of nasty..." on a Subway sandwich I just lost it.

And have been reading it every day since, except on weekends.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Flenker on August 01, 2003, 05:19:43 pm
Quote from: "Freddie Fractions"
Yeah I did the archives in under a (work) day.  I did that somewhat recently with drewweing.com and slowwave.com too.  It's such a different way to consume webcomics that it's almost a letdown when you have to wait for new ones daily.


yes, after reading all of the archives for a comic, it's hard to get adjusted to waiting a 24 hour or more period for the comics.  But then that starts becoming an event of its own either eagerly hitting refresh at night or hurrying to the computer in the morning to get the funny
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 05:21:39 pm
I can't really remember how I came to it. It was so long ago. I think it was just a link from some other comic book site, I think possibly Elftor actually, and I was looking through a bunch and found Achewood, during I think Ray and Beef's road trip. I then read the archive in like, 2 days and had decided it was the best thing ever!
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Jugwine on August 01, 2003, 05:35:08 pm
I found it through Wigu.  For something like two days about a year ago that was all they talked about over there, so I checked it out and plowed through the archives.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 05:54:31 pm
I actually don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was none of the aforementioned websites.  Just to play it safe, I voted "recommended by a friend," since I know I didn't just randomly stumble onto it.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2003, 05:55:19 pm
I think it was Lileks for me.  He's a good man, that Lileks.  I should buy him a pizza.
Title: Unix...
Post by: richter on August 01, 2003, 09:53:23 pm
I got hooked from the first strip I saw. My friend IM'ed me a link to the "Unix is made by fat people" strip. I laughed outloud at my callcenter job at the time. Got many mean looks. hehe.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: andalucia on August 01, 2003, 11:08:19 pm
Lileks, god bless 'im
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: wombat on August 01, 2003, 11:25:33 pm
Lileks, too.  And I found Lileks from Chowhound.com.  So when Achewood became a comic strip with its own cookbook it all seemed to come full circle.

While Lileks does like pizza, better to thank him by buying his books.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: V-Adore on August 01, 2003, 11:35:56 pm
Goats.com, here: technically not a Dumbrella site, but I figured it was close enough for the polls.

I was initially sort of surprised that Lileks was an Achewood fan, but in retrospect it actually fits pretty well.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 11:39:44 pm
Ye Olde Bleat. Which I found via the formerly proper Absurd Pamphet Press
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 06:16:13 pm
YOU PEOPLE TURN EVERYTHING INTO POOP

Feel better, Wombat?  Should I be meaner?
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 08:01:55 pm
Lileks forum is up here. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewforum.php?f=12).  Relevant portions of this thread have been split and posted there.  

Have at it.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2003, 08:32:42 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
YOU PEOPLE TURN EVERYTHING INTO POOP

Feel better, Wombat?  Should I be meaner?


Ahhhh.

No, you're doing great, keep up the good work.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2003, 09:29:54 pm
I made the one lonely search engine vote, but that's not really accurate. I somehow got to Achewood through Red Meat and Maakies, I think. And only then on to Goats, WiGU, DS, etc.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: Sporkadelic on August 03, 2003, 03:38:59 am
I didn't vote, because "I forget" isn't one of the choices.  As advertising folks know, you've got to give people a certain number of "impressions" of a product before it sinks in at all.  It could have been some other comics site or board, or it might have been someone's blog.  Could well have been Lileks, a daily read for me.  I do remember checking Achewood out a couple times and being baffled, before it clicked with me.
Title: How did you discover Achewood?
Post by: dmt on August 04, 2003, 03:38:59 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Goats.com, here: technically not a Dumbrella site, but I figured it was close enough for the polls.


Double-Ditto for me.
Title: Comixxor
Post by: satchel on August 04, 2003, 06:58:37 pm
I found it from Diesel Sweeties.
Title: Re: Comixxor
Post by: weeeeee on August 05, 2003, 05:14:18 pm
I found it from drew's website, I think, and one of my friends pointed it out from that site after I'd shown him the drew archives. I think drew is/was part of the dumbrella community.