The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 21, 2003, 04:14:26 am

Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AugustWest on August 21, 2003, 04:14:26 am
You're going out drinking with two companions.  Said companions can be anybody from the past or present.  Who do you choose? (Onstad is outta town or otherwise unavailable)  Do you end up punching each other by the end of the night?

Discuss.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AugustWest on August 21, 2003, 04:16:29 am
For what it's worth, I think my first two would be Mark Twain and Socrates.

Luckily, I drink a lot, so I could easily accomodate the long list that's accumulating in my head.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AugustWest on August 21, 2003, 04:18:20 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Luckily, I drink a lot


Damn!  You don't get to say that very often.

Uh, I think this post is kind of self-probative or something.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jay-ell on August 21, 2003, 02:53:54 pm
I would choose AugustWest and V-Adore.  No, wait!  CortJstr and Ferocious J.  No!  Um...satchel and keef...or maybe Asherdan and Aloha Dawg...or pubdoggy and slink.  I've got it!  Capn and Schabe!  Or maybe Choop and PinkStainlessTail...and revDJ...wait that's three...Um...rstevens and fuddes?  Kelly, wombat and IANC (woo, hen party!)?  Damn, that's three again...

Shit.  I can't choose.  I guess I'll just do what I usually do, and get drunk with Pedro Picasso and some Jim Beam.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: slink on August 21, 2003, 03:00:29 pm
Well, if I had to get drunk with anyone, It'd have to ba sat round with either some nice, chilled Corona (with lime in of course), or a bottle of good whisk/bourbon...
Who with: erm, for some reason I reckon Umberto Eco would be fun, good conversation and all, and someone like, Haruki Murakami. Maybe Mike Moore.
I'd much preferr to sit round and get stoned with say, Brad Nowell and Josh Hommes or something.
Weed's my alcohol, I don't really drink anymore, never have much. I'll drink whisky or bourbon for the flavor, and corona too. If they were non alcoholic it'd suit me much better!
Anyway, choosing any two people is like choosing a favourite album or movie for me, or book, it just doesn't quite work out.
Title: drinking
Post by: satchel on August 21, 2003, 03:36:31 pm
Andy Kaufman and Bill Hicks. Both would still be funny no matter how thick the alcohol haze became.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: V-Adore on August 21, 2003, 05:59:08 pm
I don't really dig going out and getting drunk.

Hmm... that said, my choices for drinking buddies (and groups), in descending order of awesomeness:

1) Genghis Khan. No, really. We'd probably have to go to some sleazy Mongol bar that would let him break furniture, but you have to admit, it'd be a hell of an evening.

2) You guys, both for the conversation and the fact that a pack of semi-experienced drinkers means lots of drink advice and no really spectacularly bad drunks.

3) Most of the uptight smart guys I went to high school with. This would mostly be for blackmail fodder, because honestly, it doesn't get much more fun than watching Mr. Lead In the School Musical crying into his girly drink about how he's failed his family.

If I felt the need to go be snarkily teetotal for an evening, I'd have to go with Penn and Teller, natch.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: CortJstr on August 21, 2003, 06:34:00 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
If I felt the need to go be snarkily teetotal for an evening, I'd have to go with Penn and Teller, natch.


I dunno, those guys are pretty scary when everybody involved is sober. Could you image the havoc they could wreak on some tipsy people?
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: V-Adore on August 21, 2003, 06:42:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
If I felt the need to go be snarkily teetotal for an evening, I'd have to go with Penn and Teller, natch.


I dunno, those guys are pretty scary when everybody involved is sober. Could you image the havoc they could wreak on some tipsy people?

That'd sort of be the point. If you're going to go out and harrass drunken people, you might as well go all-out, stage blood and all. That, and they have the ability to lift keys off of a wannabe drunk driver without any shame, which makes the whole evening a benefit to public health.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on August 21, 2003, 07:06:36 pm
I'm not sure why, but the first two names to jump into my head were Don Marquis (http://www.donmarquis.com/) and George Herriman (http://www.krazy.com/herriman.htm). Well, Herriman after Marquis makes sense, but I'm not sure why Marquis in the first place.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on August 21, 2003, 10:06:13 pm
I would like to get drunk with Sandra Bernhard and Richard Lewis.  The beats would be pumpin', the hooch would be flowin', and the conversation would be fabulous.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AugustWest on August 22, 2003, 02:01:21 am
I've always wanted to boink Sandra Bernhart.  She's a superfreak.  She's superfreaky.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: andalucia on August 25, 2003, 08:43:34 pm
Dont drink, but would choose Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth, since I have a big geeky crush on him, and Wes Anderson (one of my fave directors)
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on August 25, 2003, 10:20:38 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I've always wanted to boink Sandra Bernhart.  She's a superfreak.  She's superfreaky.


Yeah, me too.  She's got style.
Title: Re: drinking
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2003, 06:53:17 am
Quote from: "satchel"
Andy Kaufman and Bill Hicks. Both would still be funny no matter how thick the alcohol haze became.

How I wanted this sentence to end " . . . no matter how much their corpses smelled."

Anyway, as long as they can be dead, I would pick Jim Morrison and Jack Kerouac . . . not really. Flannery O'Connor and William Faulkner - though O'connor probably wouldn't drink much, so there'd be more for Bill and I.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 04:58:24 am
I was thinking Andy Kaufman. Now I'm rethinking.

This question usually comes up as who to invite to dinner. My usual answer is different than the drinking question - my dinner party involves  smart, very funny people with one weird thing in common: they all play the Banjo.

Pick some:

Steve Martin
George Segal
John Lithgow
Peter Sellers
Billy Conolly

Any other famous banjo players I missed here?
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on August 27, 2003, 05:27:30 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Steve Martin
George Segal


I saw this really fast and thought it said "Steven Segal".

*shudder*

Quote from: "AlohaDogg"

Any other famous banjo players I missed here?


Ricky Scaggs, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Bela Fleck, Travis Tritt, Lester Flatt - I mean, that's just for starters.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2003, 08:22:10 am
Quote from: "jough"

. . . Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Bela Fleck . . .

Yes, so much! Also, the kid from Deliverance.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 27, 2003, 08:48:36 pm
Thanks for the list! I knew about most of the people famous for playing the banjo. The ones who I really want to hang out with are famous for other things (acting and comedy mostly) whose odd personalities have also led them to the Banjo.

And, of all the people famous primarily for playing the banjo, I would pick:
Grandpa Jones
Bela Fleck
Unless that one Dixie Chick gets uncontrollaby horny when drinking, that is. Then it's her and Mr. Jones, and we just have to wait for Grandpa to fall asleep.  :twisted:

Of those who are famous and secondarily play the banjo, I think:

Steve Martin
John Lithgow

That would be nuts.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: slink on August 27, 2003, 11:19:02 pm
I have a real urge to put Peter Cook on my duo now. Though you'd have to give him access to a costume wardrobe throughout the evening!
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on August 30, 2003, 05:19:16 pm
How about Charles Darwin?

"Monkeys, I'm telling *belch*you.  Monkeys.  You think I'm lying?? *sob* God, I'm so sorry.."
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 06:04:20 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Of those who are famous and secondarily play the banjo, I think:

Steve Martin
John Lithgow

That would be nuts.

Don't forget Bender!
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2003, 10:26:53 pm
Bender would really be nuts! And bolts. (sorry)

Also I was looking through some old strips last night and one of the bots (chucklebot, vlad, or liebot) was playing a suspiciously round stringed instrument.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on August 31, 2003, 03:07:30 am
Twas Liebot, playing that suspicious round stringed instument.  He'd go to the garage and play when everyone else was eating dinner or something.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 31, 2003, 04:15:44 am
That's the one. Maybe my two should be Liebot and Bender. That would be very weird. And it's not like they would get tired or leave or anything....yikes...
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2003, 04:48:50 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
I would choose AugustWest and V-Adore. No, wait! CortJstr and Ferocious J. No! Um...satchel and keef...or maybe Asherdan and Aloha Dawg...or pubdoggy and slink. I've got it! Capn and Schabe! Or maybe Choop and PinkStainlessTail...and revDJ...wait that's three...Um...rstevens and fuddes? Kelly, wombat and IANC (woo, hen party!)? Damn, that's three again...


You're obviously not interested in getting drunk with me.  Don't think I didn't notice that.   :cry:

~Paul
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: beverly on August 31, 2003, 06:58:13 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And it's not like they would get tired or leave or anything....yikes...


No, they would get tired of you and leave.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 31, 2003, 08:20:11 am
Damn, that's cold.

Shit! Who are you? What the hell did I do to deserve that?

Oh, don't answer. I just remembered that I don't actually care.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on August 31, 2003, 09:02:27 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I would choose AugustWest and V-Adore. No, wait! CortJstr and Ferocious J. No! Um...satchel and keef...or maybe Asherdan and Aloha Dawg...or pubdoggy and slink. I've got it! Capn and Schabe! Or maybe Choop and PinkStainlessTail...and revDJ...wait that's three...Um...rstevens and fuddes? Kelly, wombat and IANC (woo, hen party!)? Damn, that's three again...


You're obviously not interested in getting drunk with me.  Don't think I didn't notice that.   :cry:
~Paul


I know, me neither.  WTF, JL?

I feel slighted. :(
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: beverly on August 31, 2003, 09:23:09 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Damn, that's cold.

Shit! Who are you? What the hell did I do to deserve that?

Oh, don't answer. I just remembered that I don't actually care.


That's what Bender would do, though; get bored, and leave.  It wasn't a dig on you, just my thoughts on Bender's character.  I sifted my feelings through a codeine colander first, and it added spite.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 31, 2003, 08:28:08 pm
I figure all I need to do is leave out some robo-t p0rn and Bender'll stick around.

No worries, Bev, the italicized you kind of personalized it for me. Once he was done with the p0rn and booze he probably would leave.

they all do. sigh

Damn emotionally unavailable robo-ts. Damn them all to hell.

::Edited to CURSE myself for forgetting the capricious censorship of the R word.::
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2003, 11:35:10 pm
We have nearly 100 members.  I couldn't mention you all...

I knew I'd step on some toes.  Besides, pmcd9, you were still such a n00b on this board at the time (overtwo weeks ago) that I didn't feel I had to include you with the "(ir-)regulars."

And Jough, I would never get drunk with you because I probably wouldn't be able to control myself.  You know.  Sexually.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on September 01, 2003, 01:38:55 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
And Jough, I would never get drunk with you because I probably wouldn't be able to control myself.  You know.  Sexually.


I figured as much.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2003, 03:27:44 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
And Jough, I would never get drunk with you because I probably wouldn't be able to control myself.  You know.  Sexually.


Tape it for me!
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: slink on September 01, 2003, 03:35:21 am
Quote from: "jldunston"

And Jough, I would never get drunk with you because I probably wouldn't be able to control myself.  You know.  Sexually.


What a guy!!!
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2003, 05:56:16 am
I'm going to let go the fact that you didn't include me, JL, even though you can't call me a new person because we knew each other on that "other board." I'm assuming that if you were to have dinner with me, you would not want to share my scintillating comments with anyone else, and so you felt it wouldn't qualify due to the question asking about two people.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 02:17:57 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm going to let go the fact that you didn't include me, JL, even though you can't call me a new person because we knew each other on that "other board." I'm assuming that if you were to have dinner with me, you would not want to share my scintillating comments with anyone else, and so you felt it wouldn't qualify due to the question asking about two people.


Yes, that's actually sort of true.  Actually I was going through the memberlist pairing up people I thought would have interesting conversations.  You, my dear Nabu, are in a class by yourself.  :)
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2003, 03:12:16 pm
No, no: the real reason JL doesn't want to drink with jough is that they do it every weekend anyway. Every time they're allegedly "away" on "family stuff," they're actually all meeting in a seedy cantina right over the Mexican border, all drinking tequila 'til they pass out, all finding public internet access and randomly locking threads and posting Onstadesque snide comments, all waking up in the morning with regrets and unlocking threads before anybody notices...
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 03:24:36 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
No, no: the real reason JL doesn't want to drink with jough is that they do it every weekend anyway. Every time they're allegedly "away" on "family stuff," they're actually all meeting in a seedy cantina right over the Mexican border, all drinking tequila 'til they pass out, all finding public internet access and randomly locking threads and posting Onstadesque snide comments, all waking up in the morning with regrets and unlocking threads before anybody notices...


I have no regrets.  Except for that one thing.  Yeah, that's gonna leave a scar.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2003, 04:41:08 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Yes, that's actually sort of true.  Actually I was going through the memberlist pairing up people I thought would have interesting conversations.  You, my dear Nabu, are in a class by yourself.  :)


So I'd have interesting conversations with Ferocious J? (pause) That sounds about right.
Title: Who would you like to get drunk with?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 04:53:48 pm
This weekend was a three-day weekend.  I can't turn my head more than 2 degrees to the left, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of those rug burns on my elbows and forehead, but overall I'd say it was worth it.