The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on May 09, 2005, 02:25:07 pm
-
I know that this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/07/AR2005050701270.html) isn't what wombat had in mind but isn't it just silly? Isn't it ridiculous? So much for hunting being about being out in nature.
-
I don't buy the 'overseas' and 'disabled' argument either. I think that once the NRA and Sierra Club agree on something, we should assume that whatever they agree on will probably be agreed on by 99% of everyone else.
-
Hmm, nasty.
-
So, uh.. what's the actual advantage of this in terms of what the hunter gets over one of those Deer Hunter games that clog the shelves? Just the warm feeling of knowing that he has caused death?
-
Yeah, not only is it weird and kind of silly, it's genuinely creepy. I don't hunt and never have, but from what hunters have told me, it's all about being out there with the animals and the challenge of it all. It's why a lot of hunters change to bow hunting, and why a man I know in New Mexico once spent over $60,000 on a relatively brief African hunting trip.
I don't imagine that it would be much more satisfying than a hunting video game, and that option doesn't have the ethical dilemma attached.
-
So, uh.. what's the actual advantage of this in terms of what the hunter gets over one of those Deer Hunter games that clog the shelves? Just the warm feeling of knowing that he has caused death?
You get the meat and possibly a trophy when you hunt in person. You also get the experience, often a camping trip in the woods with friends, sometimes some personal challenges and the primal experience of providing for your family by wresting sustenance from nature.
Those of you who think hunters walk into the woods, see and kill deer (or whatever) and then walk out whistling a happy tune have probably not hunted. It can be pretty hard and pretty frustrating, especially if you are after real game animals.
As for the causing death part, at least in Ohio, if the deer weren't hunted every year, thousands would die of starvation over the winter and hundreds more would cause traffic accidents and probably some human deaths in the process. There's nothing to balance the deer population anymore besides people in most places, so in the absence of some form of birth control or some kind of horrible infectious disease, it's pretty much a necessity to thin the herds - so the state gets license and tag money, society is spared a number of car accidents, deer herds don't die en masse over the winter, and folks who like it get tasty venison. It's a winner all the way around.
-
A lengthy and intelligent post about hunting which sort of missed the point of the post he was responding to
I wasn't asking what the benefit of real hunting was. I understand the impetus and benefits behind real hunting and that for those who enjoy it Deer Hunter PC is not a suitable substitute.
I was asking about the point of Interweb Click-To-Kill Hunting.
-
Ostensibly, he still gets the meat. And the trophy. And since the guy they talked to is paralyzed, I guess this is as close as he gets - but I agree with you and the legislatures mentioned in the story, click-to-kill doesn't make much sense.
It could make for interesting executions. You can have twenty anonymous internet people click simultaneously and only one of the IP addresses is connected to the trigger mechanism, but no one knows whose.
-
I sort of question whether this version of "as close as he gets" is actually any closer to the real experience than playing Deer Hunter would be - again, with the exception of knowing that he has gotten to cause an actual death for his thousand bucks deposit rather than numbers in memory.
-
did you guys hear about wisconsin thinking about having a feral cat season?