The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Doc on May 12, 2005, 09:52:29 am
-
An look into the inner workings of Harlequin romance, this one confused me for a moment because I thought Mr. Bear was angry in the fifth panel, when he was obviously just being inspired. Was a little dissapointed he went with the no-brainer.
-
Yeah, I thought he was angry as well... like "How dare you think I'd stoop so low as to do Harlequin romance! hmph!" but then I realised if he can do the Spice channel, well....
Also, I hope that's a year's advance since less than a week isn't very long to do any kind of book. I mean, I wrote a novel last year which was mostly b.s. and it took 3 weeks for me to get 87 pages out.
-
Yes, but this isn't Mr. Bears first time writing romance novels, in fact I think that used to be (and still is presumably) his semi-occupation. I'm not going to find the strips but I remember him asking Teodore to judge 'The audience not the author' and he certainly wrote childrens books before that , I'm sure we all remember how many whales there are in the ocean....
As for the time limit maybe Mr. Bear is just that good he can chuck it out in a week, just apply standard formulae to get an expected reaction from his audience. I wonder if thats how Onstad sees writing.
-
I think he starts all depressed that it's come to this. Then he gets pissed that he's wasting his talents on romances (and that "Kristi" apparently thinks he's a moron) but finally decides to get to work. Maybe he's all, "I'll show them. I'll write the first romance in history that doesn't suck."
[edit: This (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004) is where we first learn of his stooping to this level.]
-
I like how Kristi manages to use three different synonyms for the class difference (I can't think of a 4th, sorry). Clearly, these are not the same novel.
Also, I appreciate how Cornelius does not simply go for the easy buck. He clearly picked the story that struck his muse. That's just the kind of bear he is.
-
I think he's angry because of the schedule. Criminy, they're asking him to pump out one of these things every two or three days. Even when you're writing crap, that's a lot.
-
Will love find a way? [Cornelius: Yes].
That line made me laugh out loud. Kristi certainly seems to be both patronizing, annoying and eager to fill the romantic novel market with encounters spanning the depths of social hierarchy.
I wonder if Cornelius considers this a step up compared to subtitling the Spice Channel?
A friend of mine had this theory that what girls like to watch or read about is all the stuff between the actual hanky-panky: the intrigue, the drama, the impossible love that finds a way. While boys generally just like to watch or read about is just the basic no frills hanky-panky.
Mr. Bear is truly showing his versatility catering the needs of both groups, though not, apparently, at the same time.
-
A whole strip, just for Cornelius. Ahhhhhh... shit be good on this fine day.
-
A whole strip, just for Cornelius. Ahhhhhh... shit be good on this fine day.
I am beginning to suspect you may have a character preference, Mr. Golfhaus.
Anyway, I think this strip is funny whether you read Cornelius's expression as inspiration or as righteous indignation. Maybe as both. I do like the thought of FURIOUS MUSE CORNELIUS.
-
I think he starts all depressed that it's come to this. Then he gets pissed that he's wasting his talents on romances (and that "Kristi" apparently thinks he's a moron) but finally decides to get to work. Maybe he's all, "I'll show them. I'll write the first romance in history that doesn't suck."
[edit: This (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004) is where we first learn of his stooping to this level.]
I don't think that Kristi thinks he is a moron. I think she knows he is the type to write a story without a happy ending to emphasize the poignant, fleeting nature of life.
-
I read it as Cornelius planning to undermine Kristi's assumptions about class barriers.
-
I am beginning to suspect you may have a character preference, Mr. Golfhaus.
My girlfriend said last week that one of these days we'll go to one of those make-your-own-teddy-bear shops and make a Mr. Bear. With the glasses and the little robe and everything.
I am a 28-year-old man, reduced to getting blubbery over the prospect of getting a teddy bear. This is what Achewood has done to me.
-
I read it as he was kind of frustrated that he was basically forced into one plot.
Creativity smothering aside, this would be a pretty sweet gig if you could get it.
-
I like how Cornelius has found a way to create a synthesis of all three plots - I only wonder if they'll pay him all three fees for it.
-
I like how Cornelius has found a way to create a synthesis of all three plots - I only wonder if they'll pay him all three fees for it.
i wonder if they could just slap three different covers on the story and sell it as three different books?
or, given the product in question, is that a stupid question?
-
I read it as Cornelius planning to undermine Kristi's assumptions about class barriers.
That would be punker than that song by Phillippe (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08122002). Cornelius is all trapped in writing unoriginal crap on accounta he hasn't made the cut as artiste. I honestly thought the Spice Channel was a funky way out for him. He shouldn't have to sell out, to compromise his medium/put his name on that crap.
-
Will love find a way? [Cornelius: Yes].
I also thought that was hilarious and was hoping, in my heart of hearts, that [Cornelis: Yes] would be the title of this thread.
P.S. I am dense, but I don't see the synthesis. This looks to be the second plot, to me.