The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on August 21, 2003, 07:43:36 am
-
Help a brother out. Isn't that what I say in the alt text in the "Tip Jar" link below?
I believe it is.
I knew he'd slip up eventually. He just can't keep away from reading all of the bitching and complaining! :D
Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08212003).
-
See now, if other people said "help a brother out" then I'd think you were just going insane and needed some kind of intervention. But since I've only ever seen/heard that phrase here and in Achewood it's clear proof that Onstad is stalking us!
-
Further paranoia and/or evidence: two of the variety hour pieces are about college, and we were talking last week about how the variety hour is "obviously" going to be stuff from Onstad's college buddies.
It's spooky, possums.
Also: the time machine storyline kicks lots of ass thus far.
-
Also: the time machine storyline kicks lots of ass thus far.
Amen to that. I can't wait to see where he takes it...and the five strips a week thing seems to be working out so far...
Anybody else notice Onstad's never on AIM any more? That's gotta be where the extra time comes from.
-
I can’t decide whether Chris has been coming here or if he’s just in the same mental environment as most of us and is getting the same inspirations common to us all.
-
A thought:
As impressed I am that Twain was able to ID Philippe as a river otter (I'd be like, "seal? otter? marmot?") how come he made no mention of his being a stuffed animal?
Last time (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10312001") Philippe appeared to real people he was instantly identified as stuffed, so how come Twain didn't notice? Or does he just have a really open mind about this kind of thing?
-
I think 'stad dropped the "alive stuffed animals" conceit a while ago.
So now Philippe is just Philippe.
-
I think 'stad dropped the "alive stuffed animals" conceit a while ago.
So now Philippe is just Philippe.
Now if he'd just drop that stupid "Underground" thing...
-
It's also entirely possible that Twain, living in an era before mass-produced stuffed animals came to the fore, may not be able to recognize Philippe instantly as a stuffed animal in the way a modern viewer would. And let's face it, if a time machine containing a hard-drinking talking cat and a talking otter in ##### showed up in your backyard, the otter in question looking a little weird probably wouldn't be your first priority.
-
I think 'stad dropped the "alive stuffed animals" conceit a while ago.
So now Philippe is just Philippe.
Now if he'd just drop that stupid "Underground" thing...
Drop the underground? He already tried that. Way back at the start of the strip there were a few where they had to get stuff from the human world (trying to get the taxi to pick up movies, etc) and it kind of limited the stories. It just makes more sense that they have access to their own society.
And let's face it, if a time machine containing a hard-drinking talking cat and a talking otter in ##### showed up in your backyard, the otter in question looking a little weird probably wouldn't be your first priority.
That was also my first thought, but he seems otherwise calm about the situation. And this situation will explain why when Twain meets another set of time travellers in 1893 he's pretty accepting of the whole situation.
-
I think 'stad dropped the "alive stuffed animals" conceit a while ago.
So now Philippe is just Philippe.
Now if he'd just drop that stupid "Underground" thing...
Drop the underground? He already tried that. Way back at the start of the strip there were a few where they had to get stuff from the human world (trying to get the taxi to pick up movies, etc) and it kind of limited the stories. It just makes more sense that they have access to their own society.
I should have fleshed that out: just have RB go to the mall for his under#####, not some special mall that only cats and stuffed animals have access to. The human world hasn't had a place in Achewood since the early strips you mention (apart from tv shows and such like), so the whole "ooo, we're going to the Underground" comes off as a bit twee in my view.
-
Oasis seemed to take the whole animal thing in stride.
-
Oasis seemed to take the whole animal thing in stride.
Yeah, but this is Oasis. They're probably just grateful that Lyle didn't spend the whole time giving them swirlies.
-
Well, I guess if they did notice they couldn't really tell anyone anyway... at least not without MTV providing subtitles.
-
And this situation will explain why when Twain meets another set of time travellers in 1893 he's pretty accepting of the whole situation.
You mean when Guinan and Data showed up and were all like "Where's that dude with the serpentine cane?" Man, that was messed up. He was all "I'm Mark Twain," and they were all "We're Guinan and Data," and Data was all "There's gold in them thar communicators."
Oh crap. My dork is showing. How embarrassing.
-
Dang, there goes my argument. I was going to say that only Ray has any real interaction with the human world via his CD (which reminds me, doesn't he have to tour or anything?) but I had assumed that part of Satan's contract was that the human world would just fail to notice he's a cat.
But smarty-##### had to go and point out that Lyle had his dealing with Oasis.
Re: the Star Trek stuff—don't forget the main reason I attained mod-dom was because of my vast reserves of geekiness.
(also, I'm going to assume you know that dork is a derivative of "dick")
-
On the interactions-with-humans thing, also note the whole deal with Teodor and penny_in_a_fountain. Initially, she doesn't know he's a stuffed bear (see his "I know I'm not a ... human guy" bit in his drunken monologue), but eventually she comes to terms with it enough to make him a stuffed-bear-sized sweater. Perhaps most humans in this universe are just embarrassingly laissez-faire about this all?
-
Does anybody else get the impression that this discussion is one of the main reasons we drove Onstad nuts? We're all "but this shatters the precedents of human/character interaction!" and "so is this strip outside the main Achewood canon, like those Treehouse of Horrors shows?" and he'd be all like "it's a comic strip! Let it go!" while locking the thread.
Also, I have an incredibly urge to just copy and paste a bunch of quotes that don't say anything together to try and test the quote limit now.
-
Does anybody else get the impression that this discussion is one of the main reasons we drove Onstad nuts? We're all "but this shatters the precedents of human/character interaction!" and "so is this strip outside the main Achewood canon, like those Treehouse of Horrors shows?" and he'd be all like "it's a comic strip! Let it go!" while locking the thread.
Aw, but see it's kinda fun to get all geeked up every once in a while without the perfect master comin' in and turning off the lights. Anyway, I think the comments here have pretty much proved that there are no consistent precedents for human/character interaction, which indeed shows that it is just a comic strip, and a kickass one at that, because the best strips (Zippy, Krazy Kat, etc.) don't really have a canon of acceptible possibility.
-
Of course now I'm curious. Were they watching the human version of Queer Eye or does the underground have its own versions of shows? Maybe there's like a few all animal channels but they mostly watch regular cable. Do they need a special box for this?
And we all know many of the ladies you see on the net are actually unnactractive guys with names like Ted, from accounting* but knowing that lots of the people in general are actually animals (stuffed or otherwise) pretending to be people throws my preconceptions of the world around me into a tailspin. Especially considering that I might be dealing with, say a stuffed gorilla pretending to be a guy named Ted (from accounting) pretending to be an 18-year-old bi-curious hottie in black leather with a bottle of Hershey's brand chocolate syrup.
*Guys named Ted are always from accounting. Think about it. It's really kind of creepy.
-
Also, consider the *****s. They're obviously fully-functioning AI to various degrees (Liebot and Chucklebot seem to have general programmed purposes, albeit with a lot of deviation, while Vlad and the mysterious Andy are just sort of there) -- who built them? They're on Underground scale, so are we to assume that cats and stuffed animals have beaten humans to the AI punch? Perhaps *****s have merely fled to the Underground because, unlike in the human world, they have the right to own businesses (like Vlad's Subway) and get fresh with the fly ladies (or men, or cats, or whatever) without fear of persecution.
Yes, I know I'm dorking out at this point. But it's fun!
[Edit: This post is much sillier considering that '*#*#*,' as I'll bastardize it, is censored. Ah well.]
-
But smarty-##### had to go and point out that Lyle had his dealing with Oasis.
You didn't want to live a lie did you?
-
I propose that the bots were built by Best Brains for MST3K but after their screen tests were cut from the show and released. They then made their way to CA after bumming around MN for a while.
Or at least that's what Liebot told me.
-
The writing style is more H.G. Wells than Mark Twain.
-
when it comes to Achewood logic, I tend to take the same view of the stuffed animals and *****s as I did my own childhood toys - when they interact with each other it is totally real and they have their own toy world with access to a mini world just like the underground, but they can also interact with humans (usually adults) some of whom accept them as "real" and others who accept them as "toys". I imagine that time travel back to MarkTwain's time is part of the underground world where all thing are possible - Mark Twain being part of the magic world accepts his reality within it.
I'm a dorkin' dork. he he
-
Achewood........logic?
-
PEPPERMINT
-
Oh, my God! Were the text pieces in the Variety hour not, like, totally spot-on funny? I mean, it's, like, funny 'cause it's true! 'cause nobody ever reads anything in college, and everyone just sits around getting drunk and driving safety pins through their nipples! It's the truest thing EVER. Onstad's drinking buddies are total mega super GENIUSES --
-- ... huh? Where am I? Last thing I remember, August offered me a Life-Saver...
-
I think I'll pop some pills and see how long I can cut myself