The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on May 20, 2005, 07:49:36 am

Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: jough on May 20, 2005, 07:49:36 am
Meh.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: toddster on May 20, 2005, 08:46:57 am
I liked this one quite a bit; maybe because I like it when Onstad uses Téodor as a way of letting out his inner music nerd.

I do think that 5% is a little low for GBV, and waaaay too high for Merritt.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2005, 11:28:11 am
Now I know why I never liked Coldplay, it's because they are ripping off U2 who I also never liked.

Philippe has a newspaper now, when did that happen?

~Paul

Actually U2 are OK in my opinion, i'm just not blown away by them ala Michael Madsen.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: southworth813 on May 20, 2005, 12:03:48 pm
Oh come on! "...blew him so hard she broke her arm". COME ON!

Jough, you have been spoiled by Achewood's above-average writing for so long, it's starting to become commonplace! He "remained seriously blown"!

That is the good stuff.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Null on May 20, 2005, 12:10:12 pm
I think it was spot on about Courtney Love.  In fact, I bet that part wasn't even satire, it was just news that actually happened.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2005, 12:55:35 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
Jough, you have been spoiled by Achewood's above-average writing for so long, it's starting to become commonplace!

Jough often plays the role of the lone voice of dissent in a room filled with fawning uncritical praise.  And almost as often it's a much needed splash of cold water in the face.  Not everything Onstad writes is solid gold.  Personally I liked today's strip, but yesterday was much better.

~Paul
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: andalucia on May 20, 2005, 01:06:45 pm
Yeah, I even dislike most of the people he was making fun of (Except for Stephen Merritt) and I thought this was pretty lame.  Maybe it is just because I have that problem where jokes about vegans aren't as funny to me as they could be?

(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: V-Adore on May 20, 2005, 01:19:37 pm
The Michael Stipe joke had severe problems with unfunniness, yeah. And otherwise... eh. A couple of funny moments, but otherwise the look of a filler strip. Maybe I am just spoiled.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2005, 01:23:08 pm
I'm way too suggestable when it comes to music so I tend to like stuff that I'm later told is crappy (see: Sum 41's 1st two albums). So when I read stuff like this I'm always like, "so is this music actually crappy and I'm a sheep for liking it, or is the guy who wrote this just going all Indie Rock Pete on me?"
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: southworth813 on May 20, 2005, 01:23:47 pm
Completely spoiled :P

If I were able to write this, people would be lining up to perform fellatio on me, at great risk to their upper extremities.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2005, 01:26:56 pm
I spent all last weekend hanging out with vegans and vegetarians.  They were all great people and great artist.  I'm trying to eat less meat because I want to be more like them.

Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)

What could possibly be funny about wanting to be more healthy, compassionate towards animals, and concerned about the welfare of our planet?

Quote from: "a superlame joke site"
I don't know about these people who call themselves vegetarians but eat eggs and dairy. I mean, I've heard of eggplants, but there no such thing as a cheesetree.

~Paul
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: V-Adore on May 20, 2005, 01:29:18 pm
NO DISCUSSION OF THE RELATIVE VALUES OF VARIOUS FOOD PREFERENCES HERE. TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE, PEOPLE.

There. Preemptive modding done.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: AugustWest on May 20, 2005, 01:30:31 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "a superlame joke site"
I don't know about these people who call themselves vegetarians but eat eggs and dairy. I mean, I've heard of eggplants, but there no such thing as a cheesetree.

~Paul


Huh.  Pat's writing jokes now.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: AugustWest on May 20, 2005, 01:34:24 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm way too suggestable when it comes to music so I tend to like stuff that I'm later told is crappy (see: Sum 41's 1st two albums). So when I read stuff like this I'm always like, "so is this music actually crappy and I'm a sheep for liking it, or is the guy who wrote this just going all Indie Rock Pete on me?"


If you like it, how can it be crappy?  Screw what anybody else thinks -- if you enjoy a work of art on some level then it has value, at least to you.  Why do we need someone to tell us what we should enjoy?
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Va on May 20, 2005, 01:50:54 pm
What he said.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2005, 02:26:30 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Why do we need someone to tell us what we should enjoy?

We don't, people like what they like and criticism is just opinion after all,  but often times the opinions of critics form a consensus which becomes conventional wisdom.  One doesn't have to buy it, but you might find yourself alone defending the solo work of Paul McCartney.

~Paul
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Choop on May 20, 2005, 02:30:19 pm
Point of fact: Michael Stipe was on Mario Batali's show a couple of years ago, pimping some film he exec-produced. To the best of my recollection, he ate everything but the meat dish, and politely declined any cheese. Neither he nor Mario mentioned his name. This was perhaps the most gracefully he has ever behaved in his life.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: arkabee on May 20, 2005, 03:59:31 pm
i like how this comic is devoted to fleshing out the character of a specific character.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: wombat on May 20, 2005, 04:25:01 pm
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.  Teodor goes all over the place, he has no central defining traits like the others.  He's never been clear to me.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2005, 04:34:00 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.  Teodor goes all over the place, he has no central defining traits like the others.  He's never been clear to me.

I think that's why I like him. Teodor is the most real of them since he can't be boiled down to just one adjective. He also seems to be the only one to routinely call Bullshit on Ray.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2005, 04:38:29 pm
Yeah Teodor has long been my favorite.  He's a complex character and I like when he calls BS on Ray.

~Paul
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on May 20, 2005, 05:08:53 pm
My girlfriend would be pissed about that Coldplay thing.

And come on folks. seriously blown. if this is medicore Achewood, it's A+ anything else.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Ben-San on May 20, 2005, 06:31:19 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)


I realize I'm late on this, but were they unfunny jokes about vegans or were they unfunny jokes which did not consume animal products?
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: andalucia on May 20, 2005, 10:15:42 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "andalucia"
(This thought caused me to google "vegan jokes"-- and boy, if you want to see real unfunny...)


I realize I'm late on this, but were they unfunny jokes about vegans or were they unfunny jokes which did not consume animal products?


Well, both, I'd assume.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Max on May 20, 2005, 10:18:05 pm
File this one under '[Paris Hilto] Rant'.  Language is funny of course, Onstad can do it in his sleep.  But this thinly veiled, unsurpsrising social commentary taking the place of characters and plot is, well, just not that rad.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: rrh on May 20, 2005, 11:49:51 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002).
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: AugustWest on May 21, 2005, 12:50:14 am
Quote from: "rrh"
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002).


Yep.  And is  this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142002) the debut of Charley Smuckles two strips later?
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: Choop on May 21, 2005, 06:09:48 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "rrh"
Quote from: "wombat"
See, I still don't get Teodor's character.  I thought Lyle was supposed to be the gratuitously vulgar one.


Ah, but Teodor can still hang with the dirtiest dudes in town (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102002).


Yep.  And is  this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01142002) the debut of Charley Smuckles two strips later?


Damn! The shinin' just gets outer!

Wait, that don't sound right.

The oushinin' keeps on happenin'! That better?

I do believe it is he, with the backpack.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: cellardoor on May 24, 2005, 03:02:38 pm
Teodor routinely plays the roles of closeted homosexual, everyman, guy who is cool without effort (we all know these people!) and (IMO) Onstad himself.
Which begs the question....why is there no "Which Achewood character are you?" type quiz?
Even an ironic one would be good!
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: andalucia on May 24, 2005, 03:35:10 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Teodor routinely plays the roles of closeted homosexual...


Wait, huh?  How so?
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: St_Zartan on May 24, 2005, 04:00:55 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Wait, huh?  How so?


"That's cool" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05142003)

For some reason, I have the feeling there have been other instances. Or maybe I'm just thinking of his - gkk - metrosexual tendencies.
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2005, 04:13:21 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Wait, huh?  How so?

"That's cool" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05142003)

For some reason, I have the feeling there have been other instances. Or maybe I'm just thinking of his - gkk - metrosexual tendencies.

Teodor in the Chatroom (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10172001) springs to mind as well as the general consensus is that Teodor is #####_come_off
Title: Rock and Roll Shit Fugue - 20 May 2005
Post by: V-Adore on May 25, 2005, 03:44:30 pm
Thread split = very yes. The linguistic deathmatch is now in Wild Card.