The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: kejoxen1138 on May 24, 2005, 07:17:58 pm

Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: kejoxen1138 on May 24, 2005, 07:17:58 pm
hi everyone,

I'm buying one of those framed signed prints, i thought about getting Todays strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05242005), but i have doubts, I definitely want a strip where Beef stars but i can't decide which one, so i'm looking for suggestions. I know there's some true beef gold out there, like this one (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09022004) or this one (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09122002)
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: V-Adore on May 24, 2005, 07:28:21 pm
Welcome to the board. Feel free to stick around; we don't bite, mostly. Avoi feeding Bobby and Jough, though.

Anyway, what kind of Beef are you looking for? Sad Beef, Beef and Molly, dead Beef? I think he's a hard character to isolate any one "best" strip of.

That said, two come to mind: Beef ascending to Heaven, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06042004) which I think is visually attractive enough to make a very nice print even out of strip context, and any number of strips from the Hacking Yahoo storyline, like Beef delivering pizza (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01132004) and, of course, Furious Beef. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01162004)
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: St_Zartan on May 24, 2005, 08:05:14 pm
Hey, that is a terrific choice of avatar.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: robot_roll_call on May 24, 2005, 08:16:26 pm
I second Furious Beef.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Gimpson on May 24, 2005, 08:32:33 pm
I'm partial to the T-Shirt strips, particularly this one (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08042003).  Also, Beef Split On Green (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06272003).
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: jough on May 24, 2005, 08:36:31 pm
I don't know what you people are talking about.  This (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004) is the best of Beef.  It not only perfectly sums up Beef's neuroses but it's also a good one-off.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2005, 08:37:42 pm
For some reason I just assume "Furious Beef" involved Molly, Chinese food, and ding-dong and didn't bother clicking. But now I see that's it actually Roast Beef beings furious.

I think Furious Ding-Dong is a better strip but would be odd to have framed.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: kejoxen1138 on May 24, 2005, 08:38:34 pm
thanks for the warm welcome.

I guess one of the main requirements would be for the strip to as much as possible stand alone, while beef asending to heaven is a great strip and a nice piece of art it doesn't make much sense out of context. Also i guess i would like there to be some form of joke in the strip so if a person who had never read Achewood would be able to laugh at it.  

I was thinking about Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272003) which is classic or Dream Wedding (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06172003).
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2005, 08:52:10 pm
The sad part is that so many of my favorite strips are lousy candidates for framing. One of my favorites ever is Bed Time (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102001) but it's mostly just black.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: V-Adore on May 24, 2005, 09:14:10 pm
Oh, what was I even talking about? Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. wins. Buy it, frame it, love it.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: MattFish on May 25, 2005, 02:25:11 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Oh, what was I even talking about? Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. wins. Buy it, frame it, love it.


this was the first one I thought of.

 po-TAY-toes
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: acoxcae on May 25, 2005, 01:53:02 pm
Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. clearly wins here - I was actually going to get that one myself, provided I could persuade Onstad to write "Say it po-TAY-toes" on the margin.  That would truly be the tops.

acoxcae
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: palm trees on May 26, 2005, 12:14:37 pm
i throw my support whole-heartedly behind Furious Beef (not that i can verify that i've got the right one here, achewood.com is so broken today)
if it's the one with the origami model and the amazing last frame, then i'm right.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: andalucia on May 26, 2005, 01:16:24 pm
If the archives weren't showing only December 31st, 1969, I would humbly suggest my favourite, in which Beef talks about how he doesn't sleep due to dreams of "giant apocalyptic machinery just mowing us all down".

I think that might actually have been the strip that made me like Achewood.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Null on May 26, 2005, 02:21:07 pm
Achewood seems to be having php problems, but I always liked the one where Beef goes slightly nuts trying to imagine all the feminine products Molly will ask him to buy for her.

"Knowing Smile" is a great product name.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Null on May 26, 2005, 02:25:10 pm
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Gimpson on May 26, 2005, 05:29:58 pm
Quote from: "Null"
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.


He CortJstr's without access to the archives!  He is the chosen one!
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 26, 2005, 06:05:30 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Null"
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.


He CortJstr's without access to the archives!  He is the chosen one!


You were the chosen one! You were supposed to SEARCH the wiki, not EDIT it!
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: MattFish on May 27, 2005, 12:13:11 am
Quote from: "Null"
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.


You can not have a car
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: Null on May 27, 2005, 04:17:33 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Null"
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.


He CortJstr's without access to the archives!  He is the chosen one!


You know, I sat there reading this for what seemed like ages before I realised that, in this instance, CortJstr was being used as a verb.  

I intend to use this in daily conversation from now on.  Is there a guide to proper pronunciation?
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: CortJstr on May 27, 2005, 04:22:24 pm
Quote from: "Null"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Null"
Also, I liked the one from 8/26/04 so much that I sent the link to several people.  Oh yeah, that was the one when Molly suggested she and Beef get a place togethers.  "Don't you DARE open a beer."  That was a good one.


He CortJstr's without access to the archives!  He is the chosen one!

You know, I sat there reading this for what seemed like ages before I realised that, in this instance, CortJstr was being used as a verb.  

I intend to use this in daily conversation from now on.  Is there a guide to proper pronunciation?

Don't be mocking my nearly vowel-less AOL screen name. I've had this bitch for nigh on on 11 years. Time's were tough and the e's were removed to save on precious 2400 bps bandwidth.
Title: The Best of Beef
Post by: andalucia on May 27, 2005, 05:20:00 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Don't be mocking my nearly vowel-less AOL screen name. I've had this bitch for nigh on on 11 years. Time's were tough and the e's were removed to save on precious 2400 bps bandwidth.


Holy jesus, I don't know how many times I've read that and only now just gotten that it has any actual word-type significance.  Wow.